An Ikeja Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday ordered a 35-year-old man, Abeeb Oluwa, to be remanded over alleged defilement of an eight-year-old girl.
The Magistrate, Mrs Olufunke Sule-Amzat, ordered that the defendant should be kept at the Kirikiri Custodial Centre pending advice from the Lagos State director of public prosecutions.
Sule-Amzat, who did not take the plea of the defendant, adjourned the case until Feb. 27 for mention.
The Nigeria News Agency reports that Oluwa, who resides on Mosumo Street, Abule-Ijesha area of Lagos State, was charged with defilement.
The Prosecutor, ASP Benson Emuerhi, alleged that the defendant committed the offence on Dec. 31, 2019, at Abule-Ijesha.
Emuerhi alleged that Oluwa inserted his private part inside the girl’s mouth, in contravention of Section 261 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
NAN reports that defilement is punishable with up to life imprisonment.
Edited by: Kevin Okunzuwa/Ijeoma Popoola
- PDP lifts suspension on Sen. Hunkuyi, 6 others
- SIFAX group honours 46 at Long Service Award
- Makinde sacks works commissioner
- Yobe to implement regulation on marketing of breast- milk substitutes
- Nigeria stock market opens week with N8bn loss
- APC please with Obiano to reinstate suspended monarch
- I will continue to ensure peace in Edo, Gov. Obaseki assures traditional ruler
- COVID-19 positive cases gradually coming down – PTF Coordinator
- Ex-Federal lawmaker constructs blocks of classrooms for 2 schools in Lagos
- Edo 2020: Ize-Iyamu promises community development