Lawal made the assertion in a keynote address at a one-day Agricultural Stakeholders Engagement in Ikeja.
The commissioner urged stakeholders to project agriculture as a combination of business and development that would stimulate investment in the state.
Lawal urged the stakeholders to also come up with strategies that would move the key agricultural value chains in the state to the top and provide the need to leverage human capital.
“I have no doubts in my mind that this will lead to increase in Internally Generated revenue (IGR) for the state government on one hand, as well as leverage potential of other states and access to the Lagos markets.
“Food security is a very paramount sector that we, as government in the last 30 years, have serious and concerted efforts to ensure that we have food security and essentially, food self-sufficiency in Lagos.
“We don’t want to remain on the food sufficiency or self-sufficiency level, but we want to become an exporting country,” he said.
Lawal said that before the President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration, Nigeria had been importing rice and was the second highest importer of Thai rice, after Philippines.
“Until last four years, the Rice Farmers Association of Nigeria was not doing much, but see what is happening today, they are producing 10 million tons of rice in Nigeria.
“What we are going to focus on is, how we can make our contribution and government intervention robust in the agriculture sector, that is why we are here.
“We do not want to engage in the usual way of predict and provide policy.
“Often times, government will bring up policies without major stakeholders involvement.
“That is why today, we have all the stakeholders, private organisations, farmers association, the academia and financial institutions here today,” he said.
The commissioner listed what the summit would focus on to include: rice, poultry, fisheries, piggery, coconut, ICT development, mechanisation and vegetables farming and development.
According to him, in the last four years, the major intervention from Lagos State Government was a 32 capacity tons mill.
“As at today, we are about 55 per cent completion rate, with that rice mill, thousands of people will be employed, directly or indirectly,” he said.
The commissioner said because of the closeness of Lagos to the border, over 32 million rice were still being imported or smuggled.
“The closeness of Lagos to the border is not an incentive, but it is something we have to look into. We need to unpack the strategy at this stakeholders’ meeting.
“That is a major transaction and a major sister state relationship that had worked,” he said.
Lawal said the state government would not limit itself to rice production but embrace onions cultivation too.
“We are not limiting our self to only rice production, we should be looking in the direction of onions,’’ the commissioner said.
He said that the state government would commence Sunday market under the Eko City Farmer market starting from December, 2019.
He said the initiative was to bring farmers together once a month to a central location where Lagos residents could patronise them and they make more profit in return.
Lawal said the state government would also train 15,000 young existing and new farmers with the expected outcome of creating capacity to serve consumer demands and with an expected output of large scale dissemination of production.
Earlier, Ms Abisola Olusanya, Special Adviser to the Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu on Agriculture, said the summit was a pointer to the readiness of the state government to revitalise the already existing and introduce new technology-based initiative.
Olusanya said the initiative would achieve food security, improved nutrition, employment generation and improve economic prosperity through a combination of business and social development platforms in partnership with the private sector.
“We are gathered here today as stakeholders in agric-space with varying interest, but a common goal to examine the competitively advantageous value chains of Lagos State and develop a living road map that will be implemented by this administration.
“It is our hope that this summit will generate life transformation ideas, collaborations and partnerships that will lead to improved productivity, environmental sustenance and profitability for all stakeholders and Lagosians.
The Nigeria News Agency reports that the summit featured syndicate session on rice, red meat, poultry, fisheries and vegetables farming to develop a five-year road map for the state.
Edited by Olagoke Olatoye
- Kebbi Govt. partners UNIDO for independent power supply
- UNICEF, Kano Govt. inaugurate TWG to tackle poverty index
- Lagos Govt seals 309 health facilities in 2019
- Why incest is becoming rampant in Nigeria – Experts
- Don tasks capital market regulators on bills to address unclaimed dividends, beneficiary owners
- Woman leader canvasses more support for women to alleviate poverty
- SEC assures Dantata subscribers of claims settlement
- CBN clarifies position on operation of domiciliary accounts
- Upsurge in incestuous relationships, threat to lineage arrangement – NAN Survey
- Roadside trading: C/River govt begins work on new market
- Police search for parents of rescued 10-year-old girl in Anambra
- NAMA commissions CAT3 ILS in Lagos, Abuja airports
- Cleric tasks Christians on love, forgiveness
- Jigawa SDP flagbearer, Bashir Adamu, joins PDP
- Stakeholders want NAICOM to increase citizens’ awareness on insurance matters
- Explosion: DPR warns against sales of gas in residential areas
- Okowa salutes Elumelu at 55
- Clergy urges Christian faithful not lose hope in prayers
- Annuity contributes about 40 per cent investment to insurance sector – NAICOM
- Corruption bane of public education in Nigeria – Stakeholder
- Colourful Nigerian culture, tradition on display as Army celebrate WASA in Badagry
- Union urges FG to fund research for national development
- Senator seeks cooperation of Ondo community, BEDC over prepaid meters
- Oyo govt. to reintroduce Open-Day in public primary schools
- New Moon: Sultan directs Muslim faithful to look for Rajab 1441AH
- NDIC liquidates 427 institutions — official
- Foundation donates food items to IDPs in Edo
- SEC generated N194.48m from penalties in 2019 — Uduk
- Police arrest serial rapist in Anambra
- MNJTF Force commander visits amphibious units, tasks troops on synergy
- Police arrest driver for raising false alarm on herdsman’s attack
- Sen. Gyang urges colleagues to reject rehabilitation, reintegration of Boko Haram terrorists agency bill
- Abuja residents lament decline in local dialects
- Catholic NGO raises funds to support less privileged, poor in the society
- 37th Ramat Cup: SWAN urges Kwara Govt to host, reward victorious team
- NAICOM commences full digitisation of its operations
- Cleric cautions couples against divorce in marriage
- Cleric decries high rate of divorce among young couples
- Group tasks FG on PWDs access to reproductive health care services
- Association seeks partnership with Delta Govt on waste management
- Ex-CBN director harps on mechanised farming to check rising inflation
- Ogun police deny killing Remo Stars footballer
- NCC boss, others honoured at 2020 GAGE Awards
- In New York, Dabiri-Erewa, others stir Pan-African spirit
- Gov. Mohammad appoints Balewa as Mass Education Boss
- Nigeria’s Anyanacho clinches Tokyo 2020 Olympics ticket
- FRSC Unit Commander, builds, dedicated 100 sitting capacity hall to Corps Marshall
- Awka Devt Union kicks over NBA delay in hearing criminal petition against a lawyer
- Fury annihilates Wilder in heavyweight title rematch
- How troops repelled terrorist attack on Garkida
- Army committed to families of fallen heroes welfare -TRADOC
- Morales’ spectacular strike downs Real Madrid as Hazard limps off injured
- GSSS Pyakasa, Javino Model School win maiden FCT secondary schools cricket softball competition
- Gbajabiamila bags traditional title in Kebbi
- Customs seizes 140 smuggled gas cylinders, 678 fertiliser bags in Katsina
- Long three months ahead for Spurs, Mourinho says
- New signing Braithwaite vows not to wash Barca shirt after Messi embrace
- Van Aanholt thunderbolt against Newcastle gives Palace first win in 2020
- Falana accuses corrupt political elites as fueling religious intolerance
- Borussia Dortmund beat Werder Bremen as Haaland keeps up scoring run
- Sarri complains about VAR confusion
- If you must beg, beg govt not individuals, Emir Sanusi tells beggars
- Long and Armstrong give Saints 2-0 home win over Aston Villa
- Co-operative society advocates ranching as solution to farmers/herders clashes
- Kano Photographer organises ‘walk against drug abuse’
- FG pledges to deliver roads that will stand test of time – Minister
- Burnley beat Bournemouth 3-0 amidst VAR farce
- Abacha Loot: No plan to surrender $100m to Gov. Bagudu – Presidency
- Messi hits four goals as Barca hammer Eibar 5-0
- G. Jesus seals win for Manchester City at Leicester
- Marseille’s 14-game unbeaten streak ends with defeat by Nantes
- Ronaldo equals Serie A record of scoring in 11 consecutive matches
- Ex-commissioner identifies bane of education
- FG committed to making Yauri festival global brand – Minister
- Cleaner Lagos: Group urges Nigerians to imbibe voluntary service culture
- Buhari charges graduates on application of knowledge in dev’t
- Gov. Mohammed tasks traditional leaders on bush burning
- Complaints: CBN recovers over N82m for commercial banks customers in Katsina
- PDP chairman says party better positioned to reclaim Edo
- National Park Service needs more support from stakeholders – C-G
- APC chieftain urges Buhari to ignore calls against Oshiomhole
- EPL: Giroud on target as Chelsea beat Spurs to stay fourth
- LASG reiterates commitment to prioritise welfare of traditional rulers
- NAICOM worry over obsolete insurance laws,wants urgent amendment
- Don’t use God’s name to cajole people into marriage – Cleric
- Rigatta Festival: I have seen potential gold medalists, says Speaker Gbajabiamila
- Fintiri urges traditional rulers to mobilise subjects for self-help projects
- FG restates commitment to preservation, protection of cultural heritage
- Nigeria’s Homefort Energy wins RCCG’s $5,000 Kingdom Hackathon prize
- Solar-powered car inventor advocates promotion of solar technology
- Insurgency: TRADOC Commandant says army focused, ready to deal with challenges
- Ondo PDP elects Alabere as deputy chairman
- Girl-child education: NGO urges KDGS to establish female education agency
- Oyo govt. warns against unauthorised road closure
- Farmer/herder conflicts require real-time, practically-oriented solution – Malami
- Salazar link hit me financially and emotionally, Farah laments
- Adopt new processes to block revenue collection leakages- Anambra Assembly
- Tuchel surprised by PSG players partying after Borussia Dortmund defeat
- Mother, daughter, vulcaniser burnt as tanker explodes in Ogun
- NAF neutralises ISWAP leaders in Borno
- Nigerians should be prepared to pay more for electricity — TCN boss
- FG restates commitment to preservation, protection of Nigeria’s culture
- Declare Kalu’s seat vacant — Abia PDP chieftain
- Kwara monarch rallies support for entrepreneurs
- Ondo guber: I will accept APC panel decision –Kekemeke
- 398 benefit from NYSC free medical outreach in Anambra community–Coordinator
- Loss of family values cause of Nigeria’s security challenges – Pastor Adefarasin
- Nigerians to enjoy hourly train services on Lagos-Ibadan route soon—NRC
- Buhari committed to making Nigeria Africa’s commercial hub – ILDC
- New executive for South West Zone of CAN inaugurated
- Outrage as police vehicle hits, kills woman, injures others in Jigawa
- FRSC records 59 deaths from Lagos, Ogun road crashes in January
- Anambra Govt to deploy drone technology to improve healthcare delivery – Commissioner
- Aso Rock murder: NCWS calls on FG to bring killers to book
- RCCG extends assistance to over 50 widows of policemen in Sokoto
- Adamawa lawmaker trains youths on entrepreneurship, leadership principles
- Kebbi govt. restates commitment to creating more jobs, wealth
- COVID-19: WHO warns of reducing opportunities to contain spread, pledges support for Africa
- Z-SIP: Zamfara disburses N56 million for youth empowerment
- FG, nutrition group to develop roadmap to tackle nutrients’ deficiency
- Buhari mourns first NDA Cadet, Col. Ogbebor
- Home, IDP coordinator appeals for feeding, education assistance
- KDSG strategises to implement inclusive education
- Top-4 finish for Spurs will be incredible, Mourinho says
- Group calls for National Disability Commission
- Kwara beat Bauchi 1-0 to win Ramat Cup in Kano
- KDSG reiterates commitment to quality education for every child
- Commissioner urges police cadets to exhibit good conduct
- Gov. Obaseki flags off countdown to Edo 2020
- Alleged sexual abuse: KDSG prays court to grant her custody of 2 children
- Int’l Mother Language Day: Experts advise parents to teach children indigenous languages
- Zambia suspends collection of blood for HIV survey assessment after resistance from citizens
- Mother Tongue Day: Parents restate commitment to ensure children speak fluently
- Youth Group seeks to collaborate with Police Force on effective policing
- U.S. hails FATF’s decision to keep Iran on terrorism financing blacklist
- Lawmaker disburses N6.25m to 250 indigent students in Badagry
- Uche Nwosu lauds late Sen. Uwajumogu, advises politicians to shun do or die politics
- Group seeks promotion of mother tongue to preserve culture
- Banditry: Kebbi govt. to sustain welfare of soldiers families
- We’re creating enabling environment for investors to thrive in Oyo — Makinde
- FG to create 300, 000 jobs in Plateau through agric scheme
- Forex: CBN injects $292.34million into retail Secondary Market
- ABU Zaria, U.S embassy collaborate on homecoming stage play for Black History Month
- Police arrest 3 notorious kidnappers, rescue victim in Kaduna
- Police kill 2 armed robbery suspects in Abuja
- Kogi Assembly advocates joint security operation to curb spate of kidnapping
- Don urges youths to explore potentials in Forestry for self reliance
- LASUBEB tasks stakeholders on success of school feeding programme
- Liverpool captain Henderson out for three weeks with hamstring injury
- 10,000 people join Greta Thunberg at Hamburg climate protest
- Expert advocates men’s participation in family planning
- Terror finance watchdog re-imposes sanctions on Iran
- Commission summons British Airways CEO, GM over consumer rights violation
- Syria: UN Chief issues urgent $500m humanitiarian appeal
- Gov. Masari allocates 140 hectres for textile industry in Funtua
- Grassroots sport devt: Minister, gov, Amokachi, Yobo, others storm Ibadan for Oyo Unity Cup finals
- Gowon seeks Gov. Mohammad’s support for prayer rally in Bauchi
- 141 hospital staff investigated for giving free medicals to friends
- Osinbajo honours Mimiko at mother’s funeral
- Minister calls for more investments in cloud computing
- U.S. Government supports early grade learning in local languages with Minister of Education and Human Development
- Global watchdog places Iran on terrorism financing blacklist
- U.S. Embassy Burkina Faso Welcomes Three New Nouveaux Horizons (NH) Ambassadors
- Covid-19: ‘Window of opportunity narrowing’ as virus spreads outside China-WHO
- S’Korea, Japan to hold talks next month over trade row
- France shuts down its oldest nuclear power plant
- Osun Traditional Council suspends Oluwo of Iwoland
- IBEDC pleads with customers over TCN-Ayede fire outbreak
- Buhari calls for more patience over border closure
- Anambra govt. initiates measures to check youth restiveness – Commissioner
- FCTA arrests 123 traffic offenders, convicts 110
- Kogi releases N56 m for treatment of Lassa fever patients
- Reduction in violence begins at midnight-Afghan President
- Fayose denies plans to dump PDP
- FG restates commitments to poverty reduction, sustainable development-Minister
- CAN honours slain chairman, declares Jan. 21 annual national day of prayers
- Son of Mexican drug lord extradited to U.S., minister says
- Russia rejects claim of meddling to get US President Trump re-elected
- Sports minister harps on more private sponsorship for basketball clubs
- 13 men remanded in correctional centre over alleged unlawful possession of firearms
- I have more than I needed in life, says Fr. Hickey
- 17 ships discharge petrol, other items at Lagos port – NPA
- Centre for Black Arts tasks Teachers on indegenous languages in schools
- Abia Govt. set to train teachers
- Security: Kwara Govt donates 9 vehicles to Operation Harmony
- AIMS LAUNCHES APPLICATIONS FOR THIRD COHORT OF THE AFRICAN MASTER’S IN MACHINE INTELLIGENCE (AMMI) PROGRAM
- Parties de-registration: DPP challenges INEC in court
- Viral conjunctivitis outbreak hits Angola
- Gov Makinde, Ajimobi pay last respect, as Lekan Are goes home
- Residents uncover suspected kidnappers camp in llorin
- African Development Bank issues call to strengthen fertilizer value chains at Argus Africa Fertilizer Conference
- Ilorin Court grants contractor N5m bail
- Coronavirus Scare: Hundreds to be quarantined in northern Italy
- Sports: Gov. Matawalle dissolves state-owned Football Club
- Fashola Inaugurates Gombe Housing Estate
- Kwara Govt to incorporate cancer screening into PHC
- Mo Abudu becomes grandmother
- Pompeo in Oman for talks with new ruler
- Lagos State Govt. to punish illegal Real Estate business practitioners
- Ekiti Govt. insists on due process over selection of new monarch for Otun Ekiti