A Lagos lawmaker, Mr Bisi Yusuf, has charged his constituents to be actively involved in tackling the environmental challenges facing the area.
Yusuf, representing Alimosho 1 state constituency, gave the charge on Wednesday while speaking at the Stakeholders Meeting in his constituency.
The meeting is organised yearly with varying themes to enable all state lawmakers to interact with their constituents on addressing development issues in their respective areas.
Yusuf canvassed a positive attitude to the environment ,saying that would help prevent some of the environmental challenges in the area.
The lawmaker particularly advised constituents against indiscriminate dumping to ensure a cleaner and safer environment.
“If we don’t change our attitude, there is only little the government can do.
“We are the ones generating the refuse so we should be able to find ways to manage it.
“I would implore all the areas with environmental challenges to forward their complaints so we can channel it to the state government for the appropriate interventions ” he said.
On noise pollution, Yusuf said there was need for residents to conduct their activities in such a way that other residents were not disturbed.
He warned religious places in the area against noise pollution ,saying any erring mosque or church would be made to face the law.
Yusuf urged residents to always obey the state’s law and shun everything inimical to development .
He restated his commitment to quality representation of the people of the constituency.
Also speaking, the state Commissioner for Home Affairs, Mrs Uzamat Akinbile-Yusuf, decried rising cases of noise pollution by religious centres in the state.
She tasked the Nigeria Inter-religious Council (NIREC) to see to the problem to guarantee an environment with less noise pollution.
The commissioner also urged the various councils in the constituency to take the necessary steps to address the problem.
“Lagos State would not tolerate any form of noise pollution.
”I want to implore all the council chairmen that NIREC should have their regular meetings at the councils so they can be assisted when issues arise,” she said.
The Chairman of Mosan/Okun-Ola Local Council Development Area (LCDA), Mrs Adebisi Adebajo, appealed to residents to always report cases of noise pollution to the council for necessary action.
reports that the Chairman, Alimosho Local Government Area, Mr Jelili Sulaimon; Chairman, Ayobo/Ipaja LCDA, Mr Sakiru Yusuf; Baale of Aderogun, Megida Ayobo, Chief Alao Adeniran; and the Alajasa of Ajasa Land, Oba Sulaimon Odoalabe were some of the dignitaries present.
Meanwhile, the lawmaker representing Ifako/Ijaiye 2 state constituency, Mr Rasheed Makinde has said he will continue to engage the various communities on need to handle environmental challenges in the area.
Makinde disclosed this while addressing residents at the Stakeholders Meeting in his constituency .
He said with constant engagement and sensitisation, some of the environmental challenges in the area would be tackled .
“We will continue orientate ourselves on need to properly handle our environmental challenges.
“I will continue to engage the various communities to seek their suggestions on some of our environmental challenges,” he said.
Makinde urged residents to always dispose waste properly in order not to create a nuisance to the environment.
The lawmaker decried the dumping of refuse on highways and in drains, saying it posed danger to the environment.
In his remarks, the Chairman Ijaiye/ Ojokoro LCDA ,Mr Ahmed Idowu said the idea of the constituency meeting was a commendable one .
”This is an avenue for all the lawmakers to give account of their stewardship and update the public on the activities of the state assembly.
”It will equally afford the constituents the opportunity to present their requests to the assembly through their various elected representatives,” he said.
The chairman urged the lawmaker to facilitate the re-construction of major roads in the constituency for the benefit of the people
According to him, about 20 roads in the area are in dilapidated condition, and the government needs to fix them.
He said that the LCDA would continue to partner both executive and legislative arm of the state government for the betterment of the people.
Edited by Buhari Bolaji/Oluwole Sogunle
- Table Tennis: Oshonaike, Edem, Omotayo qualify for Tokyo 2020 Olympics
- FG to construct weighbridges to check overloading of vehicles- Minister
- 92 Zamfara students off to Cyprus for degree programmes
- Gov. Matawalle lauds Buhari over federal Commissioner appointment
- Shun any act of discrimination, injustice, degradation of human dignity- NASFAT
- Ebonyi lawmaker reiterates commitment to infrastructure dev’t
- Baleria, Kazeem’s deaths, big blow to sporting world – Nigeria Pillar of Sports
- SMW: Director urges indigenous artistes to shoot high quality music videos
- LG poll: Police announce restriction of human, vehicular movements in Enugu
- Politician alerts journalists on challenges of social media
- FG attributes upsurge in spouse killings to drug abuse
- Buhari confirms Yemi-Esan as Head of Service, retires Oyo-Ita
- Educationist advocates friendly facilities for physically challenged persons in Sokoto
- Experts call for apps innovation to improve farming
- Gov. Matawalle visits own cameraman in hospital, donates N9.6million to patients
- POWA empowers 60 widows in 3 states
- Clinical lecturers withdraw services from teaching medical students
- Gov. Lalong inaugurates 80 vehicles for NURTW to boost transportation
- Lent: Love others, fear God, cleric admonishes Xtians
- UN Chief renews appeal for ceasefire in Syria
- COVID-19: Delta Govt. sets up response team to curtail spread
- Bauchi govt. to pay WAEC fee of 13,011 candidates only
- Ultra-modern church building: Osinbajo, Gowon, Fayemi laud Olanipekun
- SMW 2020: Experts urge women to key into technology
- 20 people killed in clashes between Somali soldiers, militants
- WHO reviews COVID-19 to be ‘very high’ at global level
- Sweden reports 4 new coronavirus cases
- Funding research institutes critical to quality seed production-Stakeholders
- Corona Virus: PDP calls for proactive measures
- RoLAC stages ‘Talk N Do’ drama on rule of law, anti-corruption
- Prague ex-imam convicted of aiding and abetting terrorism
- WHO says coronavirus outbreak ‘getting bigger’, warns of spread worldwide
- German carmakers to go online after Geneva Motor Show cancelled
- Russians divided on whether Putin should stay in power after 2024
- Greece’s PM says migrant arrivals from Turkey will not be tolerated
- COVID-19: This is time for action, says UN Chief
- Child marriage, pregnancy high factors affecting attainment of girl-child education
- 1,000 people in Katsina benefit from eye surgeries, others – Consultant
- COVID-19: Ogun quarantines 28 people
- COVID-19: Gov. Oyetola constitutes committee to monitor, control outbreak in Osun
- ACCI to boost Halal sector economy through intl expo
- Police arrest man with human skull, 2 arms in Ondo
- Spanish court refuses U.S. extradition request for ex-Venezuelan minister
- UN envoy says Libyan truce close to total breakdown
- Police laud FCT residents over collaboration, provision of useful information
- Group makes case for enabling business environment in Nasarawa
- AEDC to install 320,000 meters in Niger, Kogi, Nasarawa, FCT 2020 – MD
- Reps committee summons BOA over N81bn unrecovered loans from farmers
- No fewer than 800 schools participating in Abia schools sports festival, Commissioner says
- LASUTH ready to assist in curtailing spread of COVID-19- CMD
- We have identified contact persons with Covid19 victim- Lafarge Africa
- FG pledges to implement recommendations of UN mission on TB, NCDs
- Edo 2020’s torch of unity arrives in Ebonyi
- Rape: Speaker children parliament tasks Gombe Govt on child protection
- NGO solicits media support for passage of VAPP Bill in Kogi
- FCTA prohibits street begging, warns against contravening law
- Coronavirus: Lagos Speaker urges residents to remain calm, vigilant
- Stop buying, selling under high tension cable, IBEDC warns
- NSF 2020: Sports Minister commends Edo govt. on quality of facilities provided so far
- ITF says its newly-inaugurated library can be used by JAMB as CBT centre
- China urges close ranks in global war against COVID-19
- NGO advocates protection of women, girl-child’s rights
- White House: Media boosting coronavirus coverage to hurt Trump
- Coronavirus: NPA says necessary protocols in place at ports
- Covid-19: Expert wants schools to improve hygiene practices
- Lalong commends ITF’s DG, says skills acquisition way forward for Nigeria
- Mexico confirms first 2 coronavirus cases
- Iranian parliament suspends its work over coronavirus spread
- Ikeja Electric appoints Soetan as Acting CEO
- COVID-19: Association tasks agencies on collaborative efforts to prevent infected passengers
- EKSG dismisses 3 randy teachers
- Electricity consumers clamour for more prepaid meters, oppose upward review of tariff
- Epilepsy: Police recovers corpse of 35-year-old farmer in Jigawa
- Nasarawa volleyball team’s coach says target now is promotion to premier league
- Coronavirus: Edo health officials to find flight manifest of infected Italian
- Coronavirus: Panic mood on NSE, market capitalisation loses N308bn
- Adamawa IDPs reject NEMA’s food intervention
- Pompeo: U.S. not currently engaged in hostilities against Iran
- Road users commend govt on road repairs
- ABU gets new facility to boost crop production studies
- Boko Haram: RESILAC trains 300 youths on borehole drilling to promote farming in Borno
- German cybercriminals exploit coronavirus fears
- Former Danish secret service chief fined for spilling secrets
- Buratai says Nigerian Army Farm and Ranches Limited will reduce unemployment, insecurity
- Alumni: KOBA inaugurates projects in Govt College, Keffi
- Government alone can’t attain good governance without citizens` involvement – AU-NEPAD Coordinator
- Kaduna govt engages communities, restates commitment to peace
- Building civil societies’ capacity will help end open defecation before 2025 -Coordinator
- Why reading culture is important – NPA MD
- Two docked for house breaking, stealing valuables worth N4.5m
- FG to partner telecom companies to end open defecation
- Students thrill audience as Playback Nigeria Theatre Festival opens in FCT
- Court remands man for allegedly stealing mobile phone
- Social conditioning disempowers women in Nigeria- Gender activist
- SMW 2020: Experts say African Animation is next revenue generating industry
- Delta Kwale Industrial Park is sustainable – Brisibe
- World Bank restores financial ties with Somalia after 30yrs hiatus
- Coronavirus fears lead Holy Land Catholic churches to give communion by hand only
- Coronavirus: NCAA pledges to intensify screening of inbound, outbound passengers at airports
- Volume of trade between China, Nigeria reaches $19.27bn – Envoy
- Foundation earmarks N100m for renovation of Kwara school
- ABU matriculates 10,000 students, warns against unapproved groups
- Plant more trees, Ogun govt. urges residents
- Filmmaker wants stiffer sanction for movie pirates
- Teacher, 44, arraigned over alleged rape of student
- Boko Haram: Group drums support for military
- Lafia Specialist hospital gets accreditation for residency in Obstetrics, Gynaecology-CMD
- Group seeks enforcement of cap on estimated billing by Discos
- Court remands teacher for defiling 15-year-old student
- Speaker’s education foundation in Jigawa clears bills for 200 students
- Scholars assess Africa, Middle East relations to ensure mutual benefits
- WHO emphasises preventive measures to check spread of covid-19
- Quarantine measures taken at 2 Abu Dhabi hotels after Italian cyclists contract coronavirus
- Dubai’s ruler loses appeal to stop publication of judgments in UK court battle with ex-wife
- Somalia accuses Kenya of violating its sovereignty
- 13 contingents already in Anambra for 12th Police Games, FPRO says
- Afghan officials discuss prisoner swap with Taliban ahead of U.S. troop withdrawal agreement
- Prince Harry sings with Jon Bon Jovi for Invictus Games
- Mrs Akeredolu tasks lecturers, medical students on curbing breast cancer scourge
- We never had contact with Corona virus patient -LUTH
- IWD: FG restates commitment toward ending gender discrimination, social injustice
- Court remands fake travel agent over failure to perfect bail
- First Coronavirus case: Lagos govt. says “no cause for panic”
- IWD: Women Rights Network to Unveil “Rebirth of the African Woman” campaign
- Buhari lauds relationship with Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic
- INEC promises free, fair, credible by-election in Kwara
- COVID-19: Newcastle stop shaking hands ritual
- NSCDC calls for synergy to tackle hard drug use
- Plateau Govt promises to complete remodelling of NUJ secretariat soon
- Court remands lotto agents for alleged failure to remit over N139,580
- Somali military, militia clash as fight against al Qaeda-linked insurgents slows
- NAF inducts 117 Special Forces
- Court sentences middle-aged man to death by hanging for armed robbery
- Pomp as Lagos Theatre Festival kicks off
- Non-communicable diseases becoming pandemic – Experts
- VW to pay out 1,350 to 6,527 euros to German diesel owners
- BA owner: Coronavirus could push failing airlines over the edge
- Fidelity Bank seeks board approval of 2019 audited financial report March 2
- Cleric gets divorce after accusing wife of bringing lovers home
- Delta Govt reiterates commitment to children’s healthcare
- LASPOTECH’s Mass Communication students sensitise people against cyber crime
- Coronavirus: WHO commends FG’s effort on response
- CONMESS: Osun health workers hail Oyetola, pledge optimal performance
- COVID-19: Nasarawa govt sets up response team
- Committee tasks markets, motor parks managements on daily sanitation
- Don’t panic over confirmed case of COVID-19 – FG
- Hamburg doctor is first coronavirus case in northern Germany
- FRSC mobile court convicts 86 traffic offenders in one week
- ‘The world is on fire,’ Greta Thunberg tells UK climate rally
- Tourism: Nasarawa Govt intensifies effort to develop Farin Ruwa water falls
- Coronavirus deaths in Iran rise to 34, with 388 infected
- Centre extols media for role in anti-corruption campaign
- Child Rights: UNICEF to partner with media to create awareness
- A’Ibom govt warns against illegal mining
- Carpenter in court for allegedly beating, injuring wife
- Security: NGO suggests special protective police unit
- Nigeria Army concludes physical efficiency test in Abuja
- NAFDAC restates commitment to effective drug distribution
- Malaysia uncertainty grows as palace rejects Mahathir plan
- NDLEA files drug trafficking charge against unemployed man
- NGO inaugurates 21 centres for community service in Anambra
- COVID- 19: All contacts with the Italian will be identified – Ogun Govt
- Hygiene, sanitation vital to Lassa fever prevention — Expert
- Japan’s industrial output climbs, unemployment rate up in January
- Group says politicians “out to pull down the sanctity of the Supreme Court”
- USAID partners C’ River govt. in agric financing, investment
- Mechanic remanded for allegedly defiling 10-year-old girl
- Police arrest 33 suspected cultists, armed robbers in Benue-CP
- COVID-19 : Virologist urges FG to identify, quarantine passengers on plane with Italian
- COVID-19: FG commences contact tracing of confirmed case
- NSF 2020: Sports Minister tasks MOC, LOC on hard work
- Cannabis use up 75% among older Americans, but still not common
- Covid-19: MDCAN wants testing laboratory in Kwara
- Putin, Erdogan discuss flare-up in Syria’s Idlib
- Training: Why we give priority to police –Foundation
- Expert urges teachers to adopt feminine approach in teaching sciences, tech
- Lassa Fever: Edo NMA donates items to patients in ISTH
- Investigate allegation against Ogah, youth group pleads with IG
- Turkish economy grew 6% in final quarter of 2019
- Man bags 6 months imprisonment for stealing motorcycle
- Gov. Masari urges FG to strengthen NDLEA to check drug trafficking
- Stocks fall worldwide on coronavirus fears
- Stalemate in Israeli polls ahead of Monday’s election
- NDLEA seizes 53.41kg illicit drugs, arrests 48 suspects in Gombe
- Buhari congratulates Sambo Aliyu on turbaning as Magajin Rafin Gwandu
- VW, consumer protection groups reach diesel settlement in Germany
- Edo 2020: CP reiterates commitment to personnel training
- New Zealand’s PM says Australia’s deportation policy is ‘corrosive’
- Court remands man for peddling 150g of cannabis
- Plateau United condoles with Kano Pillars over manager’s demise
- Greece says tightens sea, land borders after Idlib
- UNFPA WCARO resolves to consider GPHC as strategic issue
- Philippine flag carrier lays off 300 employees amid virus worries
- AFC to hold emergency summit as coronavirus plays havoc
- Seoul announces stimulus package to combat economic impact of virus
- Why GTB will win digital payment space — CEO
- Poland’s Kaczynski hits back at EU criticism over rule of law
- 2 more die of Covid-19 in Japan, raising toll to 10
- Qualify first worry later: Marathoners say no time to fear Olympic cancellation
- CHAN partners LGAs to improve healthcare service delivery in Nasarawa