The Lagos State Police Command has arrested five armed robbery suspects and 73 suspected cultists, a statement signed by its spokesman, Bala Elkana, said on Sunday in Lagos.
Elkana, in the statement, said that the suspects were picked up at various locations in Lagos following reports on their criminal activities.
“On searching the suspects, one locally-made pistol with 10 cartridges was recovered. Investigation is ongoing, suspects will be charged to Court,” he said.
“On July 17, at about 8:30 p.m., operatives of Operation Crush, acting on intelligence reports, raided some criminal hideouts within Akerele areas, Agege.
“During the raid, 34 suspects known as ‘awawa boys’, who have been terrorising the areas, were arrested while seven bags of weeds, suspected to be Indian hemp, were recovered,” the statement said.
He said that the suspects had been handed over to Taskforce, Oshodi for prosecution.
The statement further said that on July 16, at about 9:30 p.m., youths from Idiroko, Adeola and Ajose in Owutu area of Ikorodu, engaged themselves in a supremacy fight at Idiroko area, Owutu, Ikorodu.
“The Police teams arrested 38 suspects and took them to Taskforce, Oshodi for prosecution, while security was beefed up in the area to forestall further threat to law and order.”
Also on July 20, at about 9:45 p.m., Bariga Police Station arrested one Alayakin Azeez Olawale, 32, at Egbenrogde Street.
“In all of the arrests, investigation is ongoing and the suspects will be charged to Court soon,” he said.
Edited by Chioma Ugboma and Ephraims Sheyin
- NIDCOM boss applauds Nigerian martial artist, Usman for retaining UFC title
- Sokoto Govt. disburses N6.5m for free treatment of needy patients
- NNPC declares N5.20b trading surplus in August
- Don tasks Journalists on strict adherence to ethics
- IPCR wins 2019 Human Rights Award
- AC Milan do everything but score in extraordinary 0-0 draw
- Why Bank of Agriculture is still in distress-Minister
- Restrictions of Keke Napep, most difficult decision -FCT minister
- Wolfsburg stun Gladbach with stoppage-time winner
- Brace for record-setting Ronaldo as Juventus beat Udinese
- 2019/2020 NPFL Match Day 8 Results
- Cleric cautions against taking God’s blessings for granted
- Border closure not breaching free trade agreement, FG says
- Expert wants establishment of mini grid system to address power supply challenges
- ¬ Ondo Assembly condoles with Mimiko over mother’s death
- Cleric tasks churches on security measures to check attacks
- Greater Lagos 2020 festival begins Dec. 25 – LASG
- Klopp says VAR has changed his touchline behaviour
- Patronise our national parks during the Yuletide — Conservator-General urges
- Osaka picks Belgian Fissette as new coach
- Buhari rejoices with ex-Gov. Ajimobi at 70
- Draws decided for FCT football league second round
- Sen. Tofowomo condoles with Mimiko over mother’s death
- Sanwo-Olu’s aides decry low production of coconuts in Badagry
- Support your husbands in securing Nigerians, Oyo CP urges POWA members
- Yuletide: Ex-Senate President Mark urges prayers for peace, progress
- Yuletide: Cleric cautions transporters against hiking transport fare
- Gov. Bello inaugurates N500m World Bank community micro projects in Kogi
- Impounded trucks: Iponri Police Station authorities adamant on illegal parking
- Emirate Council dismisses 2 District Heads for disloyalty in Kano state
- U.S-based Nigerian musician involved in accident to undergo another surgery
- Catholic Bishop of Lafia tasks Nigerians on God’s grace
- FMN to invest N34bn in host community development
- Suspension: Turkish Airlines pledges to freight leftover passengers baggage before Dec. 17
- Six DisCos may evade NERC’s sanction after complying with remittance directive
- Music Review: Reekado Banks puts out unimpressive remix to hit song, ‘Rora’
- Kano State Govt. names Kofar Mata flyover after Sheikh Qaribullah Nasiru Kabara
- Experts predict massive growth for Nigerian board game industry
- NAN BoxOffice Review: ‘Your Excellency’ is a bunch of Instagram skits, not a movie
- Taskforce set to remove illegal structures in Lekki from Dec. 21
- Gov. Ganduje promises to continue working for development of Kano state
- Catholic cleric preaches act of giving
- Niger urges residents to take ownership of urban policy
- Be mindful of who to engage as domestic personnel, ex-Police Affairs Minister cautions
- Okuomose, Otuadinma win at Best of the Best Taekwondo Championship
- Arsenal’s Tierney to undergo shoulder surgery, out for 3 months
- Club World Cup: Monterrey to face Liverpool after beating Al Sadd
- Runsewe commends NCAA over initial suspension of Turkish Airline
- FRSC Edo Sector gets new Commander
- Group tasks leaders, Nigerians on time consciousness