Sports Writers Association of Nigeria, (SWAN) Lagos Chapter, on Monday applauded the Lagos State Government’s choice of Oluwatoyin Bolowotan as the new Director-General of the Lagos State Sports Commission (LSSC).
The Chairman, Lagos SWAN, Debo Oshundun in a statement in Lagos, commended the state, saying it was putting a round peg in a round hole.
Oshundun said that Bolowotan’s appointment by Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu was a testimony of his good intention for grassroots sports development.
“Bolowotan, a renowned football club owner and sports administrator, is not an alien to sports management and administration.
“This we believe is a new dawn for athletes in Lagos State, as his years of experience will reflect on athletes’ welfare and be a source of motivation to them.
“Members of Lagos SWAN have always been at the forefront of the clamour for the appointment of professional stakeholders into key administrative positions in sports sector.
“If government will not always appoint unqualified persons as Commissioner of Health because of the importance attached to it, then government must also pay special attention to the choices in the sports sector,’’ he said.
Oshundun congratulated Bolowotan on his appointment, describing him as a “Child of Necessity”.
“SWAN expresses optimism that his appointment will arrest the dwindling fortunes of sports and grassroots sports development in Lagos State,’’ he said.
- Kwara govt. pledges to reposition Aviation College, inaugurates visitation panel
- Ekiti court dissolves 11-year-old marriage on grounds of threats to life, others
- Enugu state community laments lack of government presence
- Lagos, stakeholders seek sustained implementation of breastfeeding policy
- Gender activist advocates enforcement of policies protecting girls, women’s rights
- Draft document on protecting telecoms infrastructure awaits presidential assent — Pantami
- Gov. Oyetola inaugurates committee against gender violence
- Group seeks meritocracy for appointment of UI VC
- C’River water board dismisses 6 for non performance
- Taraba govt. sensitises citizens on exclusive breastfeeding