Lagos, May 8 2019 The Lagos State Taekwondo Association (LSTA) says the forthcoming U-15 Championships was aimed at boosting the development of the sport across the state through schools, clubs and individuals.
Ferguson Oluigbo, President, Professional Taekwondo Coaches Association Nigeria (PTCAN), told the News Agency of Nigeria on Wednesday that the competition would hold June 15 in Row Park Gym, Yaba, Lagos.
Oluigbo said that the championship was part of efforts by the body to make competition part of developmental process of upcoming taekwondo athletes to strengthen their skill.
“As upcoming athletes, there is need to get them familiar with process which is the reason this championship is being organised by the association.
“The championships is next month and it is essential to create awareness now so that interested schools and clubs in Lagos can begin to coordinate their athletes for the championships,” he said.
He said the championships would be officiated manually by certified taekwondo referees because of the categories of athletes involved that were not conversant with electronic system.
According to him, athletes that performed credibly in the championships would be rewarded with gift items and certificate Championships while outstanding coaches would be equally recognised.
Oluigbo urged schools and clubs to make efforts for their athletes to take part in the championships, adding that it would go a long way to build athletes confidence in competition.
“Apart from the rewards, it will be a good platform for the athletes to compete favourably with their peers and overcome stage fright in competition outside their environment,” he added.
- Dismissed policeman in court over alleged extortion
- FEATURE: Governorship election: Checking violence, disruption in Kogi
- FRSC pledges to enforce rules to curtail road traffic crashes
- Turkey says U.S. agrees to take IS fighter stranded on Greece border
- Dasukigate: EFCC to seek order of court for separate trial for Dauski, co- defendants
- Kidnapped Immigration officers’ recount ordeal, thank Navy
- Idiroko FRSC inaugurates new building to enhance service delivery
- Austrian army dog handler mauled to death by Belgian Shepherds
- Show more interest in cassava cultivation, expert advises farmers
- Livestock transformation policy will boost economic growth-Presidency
- Gov. Obaseki swears in new Health Commissioner
- Police arraign 3 men for allegedly stealing $5,000 from an Egyptian
- Cambodian leader orders release of opposition activists
- Oshodi/Isolo LG begins palliative works on community roads
- Trader in court for allegedly defrauding accommodation seeker
- Applicant docked for allegedly assaulting tricycle driver
- Bayelsa Guber Poll: Court nullifies APC primaries, restrains INEC
- Sokoto Assembly passes Bill on balanced budget, effective resource utilisation
- Lawmaker enrols 165 orphans to schools in Zamfara
- DSS says will release Sowore to appropriate persons