Following recent alert by the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) on the use of paracetamol tablets in food preparation, some Lagosians have expressed shock and disappointment.
They told the Nigerian News Agency in separate interviews that the news came to them as a shock.
They added that it had left them with concerns over the health implications of such a practice.
NAN reports that Paracetamol is used for the treatment of mild illnesses, moderate pains from headaches, backaches, toothaches, menstrual periods, flu and to reduce fever.
Unfortunately, some people had turned this painkiller into a tenderiser they add to food such as beans and molokony (animal hoof) while preparing them for human consumption.
Mrs Joy Ossai, a housewife, said that though her family mostly eats meals prepared at home, she would create awareness among her friends about the dangers of eating foods prepared with harmful substances.
“I take my time to cook meals; I know people add potash to soften `Pomo’ (cow skin) and other foods while cooking them.
“However, I have never heard of the use of paracetamol tablets.
“I have to caution some people against it; I will post it on my Facebook page and my group chats on the WhatsApp to tell them what is happening,” she told NAN.
Also, Daniel Amadi, a pastor, said that he had never heard of the practice but was worried as to what the consequences was to those who had eaten such in public meals, unknowingly.
He said that he knew that some people used to add a whole bulb of onions into their beans while boiling it to make it soft on time.
“I do it too and it works for me.
“I will stop eating out; I’ll suggest people try and plan their meals so that they can prepare their foods themselves to avoid eating things that will harm them,” he said.
Hannah Momoh, a student, said she would stop eating foods cooked outside her home to avoid getting sick.
She said: “I was fond of eating out before.
“ Since I heard that some food vendors usually add Paracetamol tablets to their food during preparation, I had become worried.
“ I have to be more conscious of what I eat outside my home now.’’
Mrs Vivian Monday, a caterer who is popular for selling: beans, bread and `Pomo’, advised that people should always exercise patience while cooking.
Monday also said that people should adopt other methods that could aid food preparation instead of adding Paracetamol tablets to their food to quicken the process.
She said, “When cooking beans, do not add salt to the first batch of the water.
“When it is dry, you can then add salt and more water, cover your pot and allow it to cook; add as much water as it needs to get soft.
“For `Pomo’, I soak it first in salt water and sieve, then I fry it dry.
“When I need it, I just add it to what I am preparing and allow it to cook until it is soft,” she said.
Nsikak Udo-Etuk, a pharmacist at Whitewood Pharmacy, FESTAC Town, however, advised that people should use only approved resins or local ones such as garlic and onions to soften foods during preparation.
“Paracetamol is a medicine and it is not supposed to be used in cooking; it is quite poisonous when it gets into hot water.
“If combined with meat fibre to form a toxic substance, it can be very harmful to the internal organs of the body and can lead to cancer or other terminal problems,” he said.
NAN reports that NAFDAC in its alert cautioned members of the public, especially restaurant operators, to desist from the illegal practice of using Paracetamol tablets in food preparation.
According to the Agency, the practice may result in serious health consequences, including liver damage, kidney failure and untimely death.
NAFDAC, however, advised the public to use approved table salts, in moderation, to tenderise meat by soaking it in water for about 30 minutes before cooking.
Edited by: Josephine Obute/Peter Dada
- NAHCON inaugurates team for 2020 Hajj Operations
- Each High Court in Oyo handles over 500 cases-CJ
- Community leader urges FG to address farmers/herders conflict
- CPC confiscates 27 bags of adulterated hibiscus in Jigawa
- Mechanic bags 23 months imprisonment for theft, assault
- Jigawa warns against using pesticides for fish preservation
- SGF says call for sack of security chiefs inappropriate
- FIFA’s Wenger wants offside law changed to reduce VAR criticism
- Man, 24, allegedly steals N250,000 gold chain at Tejuoso market
- Gov. Lalong inuagurates 18-member committee on community policing
- California University trying to identify autism risk before symptoms
- Excellers Hitters wins District 01 Softball Girls Tournament in Ibadan
- Buhari enlarges NDDC Management Committee
- NFF denies appointing Amokachi head, technical crew
- Expert urges farmers to be wary of adulterated fertilisers
- Court orders CMD to prove suspect’s death, burial with documentary evidences
- China expels Wall Street Journal reporters over coronavirus editorial
- Maha Zaoui: 'We are going to build something special in Africa'
- Fed. University Dutse secures 12, 000 pounds grant from British Council
- Statement by the United Nations Support Mission in Libya
- Zamfara Govt uncovers hideouts for stolen cows
- Lagos Marathon: NSCDC in Plateau commends personnel for excellent performance
- 52 first class students among 786 graduating — FUD VC
- Businessman in court for allegedly damaging N400,000 property
- Private Sector collaboration uncovers almost 8,000 TB cases in 9 months – IHVN CEO
- I released ‘God of Men’ to warn against fake clerics—Charlyboy
- 2 men in court for allegedly defrauding student of his N316,000 school fees, allowances
- Breach of contract: Court warns counsel in N20m suit against delays
- Court remands man, 25, for conspiracy, intimidation
- Paradigm Initiative selects Nigerian as pioneer Fellow of DRILL
- SERVICOM to partner Ministry of Health on healthcare service delivery – Coordinator
- Group takes investment campaign to Imo, woos potential investors
- Infectious disease: Expert calls for more investment in protective equipment
- Company manager docked for allegedly stealing N914,900
- Two Tier Split For Kenya Rugby Union (KRU) Women's Festival
- Alleged N1.3b fraud: Judge advises EFCC put house in order
- Unity: NGO involves NAFDAC on advocacy
- Court sentences trader to 4 months imprisonment for attacking friend with knife
- Experts explain inflation hike, anticipate further tightening by CBN
- NEMA alerts farmers on rainfall prediction in Niger
- Actors’ Guild sets up fund raising committee for Asuzu
- Don’t tell students about Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR). Inspire them (By De Wet Joubert, RS Components Sub Sahara Africa)
- Court to rule March 31 in application for contempt against Babandede, Aregbesola
- 4 men in court for allegedly stealing mobile phones from pedestrian
- Man remanded for allegedly defiling neighbour’s 9-year-old daughter
- Double Taxation: Tribunal fixes April 22, for adoption of terms of settlement
- Insecurity: CSO advocates emergency budget for Police
- Court fixes April 30 for judgment in case of father accused of testing daughter’s virginity
- CCD demands persons with disabilities access to INEC offices
- Court remands woman for allegedly biting, threatening to poison own father
- Council to prosecute fake seed peddlers in Gombe
- Excessive heat increasing cases of Chronic Kidney Disease among youths, says Nephrologists
- Association president urges ICT professionals to become certified
- Israel lifts restrictions on Gaza fishing zone after relative calm
- NUJ chairmanship aspirant pledges improved welfare for Nasarawa journalists
- No indication of coronavirus cases in North Korea – WHO
- World Bank approves 6 projects for Nigeria
- FUOYE set to commence distance learning in Criminology, Security Studies
- NGO advocates gender sensitive programmes to end violence against women, children
- Kwara Govt tasks sports stars to be role models
- MDXi to unveil first locally available Microsoft Stack Cloud offering at Nerds Unite 2020 in partnership with Microsoft and HPE
- N1.2bn tax error claim: Parties to explore out-of- court settlement option
- Land expropriations in South Africa would be ‘disastrous’ — Pompeo
- Pinnacle loses chairman, CEO at 66
- President Buhari presides over FEC as Ministries of Power, Trade make presentations
- Kebbi State is doing a lot to stop the spread of cancers -Hajia Bagudu
- WHO releases protective equipment against CoVID-19 to 21 countries
- Gov. Zulum disburses N100m to 10,000 households displaced by flood
- Invest more in infrastructure to boost tourism, Quest urges Nigerian govt.
- 4 die in mid-air plane collision in Australia
- Syria reopens Aleppo airport after 8-year closure
- Flood Prevention: Osun Govt. commences dredging of waterways
- Teach children self protection methods, Manager urges parents
- College of Surgeon: Mrs Bagudu makes case for Nigerian medical practitioners
- Hit-and-run lorry driver kills 1 on River Niger Bridge – FRSC
- 800 cruise passengers left in Cambodia test negative for coronavirus
- Nutrition project to strengthen preventive intervention – Official
- Court remands applicant for allegedly killing own mother
- No threat of desert locusts in Nigeria- FAO
- Study: Hundreds of Australians paid for live-streamed sexual abuse
- S. Korea seeks entry ban on foreigners to be released from quarantined cruise ship
- Court remands man for allegedly defiling 11-year-old girl
- JTF confirms death of 4 soldiers, denies alleged invasion of Bayelsa community
- Appeals court raises prison term for ex-President Lee Myung-bak, bail revoked
- Alleged unlawful detention: Court to hear N1bn suit filed by Sowore, Bakare against DSS on March 25
- Dreadlocks: The myths, misconceptions, culture and lifestyles
- S. Korea struggles to contain further spread amid cluster of 20 new virus cases
- Blitzboks change three as Kok hits 50
- Fear of Further Crackdown as Constitutional Poll Nears – NNN
- How minerals and metals companies can help achieve 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development – NNN
- Hong Kong confirms 2nd Covid-19 death as toll in China tops 2,000
- Commercial bus driver in court for reckless driving, causing death of pedestrian
- Edo Civil Service Commission Chairman extols virtues of late SSG
- 2 friends in court for allegedly assaulting woman in nightclub
- Director of Oscar-winning ‘Parasite’ did not want to sugarcoat inequality
- No country adequately protect children’s health, environment, futures- WHO Report
- Olympics: With handclaps, help from Backstreet Boys, Tokyo mascots jet off to Europe
- Court remands trado medical practitioner for allegedly defiling his daughters
- Child trafficking: NAPTIP nabs 2 suspects in A/Ibom
- Scavenger bags 6 months imprisonment for stealing Pumping Machine
- Reform Abusive Security Agency – NNN
- China to release policies on auto parts remanufacturing industry
- As Libya talks resume in Geneva, UN negotiator seeks to overcome sticking points – NNN
- Gunmen kill 2 soldiers in Plateau
- Cameras, Printers, & a Trip to Dubai — Canon Discovery Week Nigeria Raffle Winners Announced
- Transparency: Association introduces stickers, trust waybills
- Global Modernisation of Land Administration: Making Your Land Information System (LIS) a Success
- Lagos Govt confirms 1 Lassa fever case, isolates patient at LUTH
- Head’s up Africa. You’ve Been Phished
- Global Crypto Giant Paxful Bullish on Africa for 2020
- 37th Ramat Cup: Teams battle for semi-final tickets, as Gawuna praises participating players
- Atletico Madrid edge Liverpool after vintage defensive display
- Haaland sensational in giving Borussia Dortmund 2-1 win over PSG
- Private sector needs to take over sponsorship of sports in Nigeria, Edo Dep. Gov. says
- Vitoria Guimaraes launch investigation into Marega racist abuse
- Kenin, Bencic fall at first hurdle on day of upsets in Dubai
- FIFA forced to plan holding Council meeting by video-conference
- EU pledges to support Nigeria fulfill universal human rights obligations
- Oyo Assembly charges tertiary institutions to be proactive on courses accreditation
- Osun Speaker seeks police support for Amotekun
- Ministers collaborate on stopping entry of Covid-19 into Nigeria
- Oyo govt. takes Road Safety Clubs to schools
- 5th Doctors Games: Sports, veritable tool for healthy living — Wike
- Police yet to arrest any suspect in Ondo bank robbery
- Ekiti indicates interest to host 2021 NAFEST
- Edwin Clark cautions Buhari over appointment of Bulkachuwa’s successor
- Oyo NULGE calls off sit-at-home action
- NDE, Gombe Govt. disburse N2 m to 200 women
- Wike lauds NIS for introducing new e-passport with 10-year validity
- Police arrest female suspect over alleged fake news
- Ambassador-Designate of Kingdom of Bahrain in Cairo meets Arab Republic of Egypt's Permanent Representative to League of Arab States
- Senate decries non provision of financial records of IPPIS by OAGF
- Mixed reactions continue to trail border closure
- Senate urges IOCs to relocate HQ to N/Delta region
- European Union (EU) boosts assistance to drought-affected people in Lesotho
- Senate president wants security beefed up at NASS
- Senate confirms Capt. Musa Nuhu as NCAA DG
- UK seeks closer ties with Nigeria after Brexit
- Nigeria loses $750m to oil theft in 2019 – NNPC
- FG tasks MDAs on FOIA to promote transpiracy, good governance
- NCS boss says non-compliance challenge to Nigeria’s trade
- Yobo dosen’t need coaching experience to be on Eagles bench — Bosso
- Sokoto govt. to unveil livestock potentials at trade fair – Commissioner
- Minister urges girl-child to focus on skills, digital innovation
- Okowa’s Spokesman, Olisa Ifeajika, loses mum
- FIRS, Lagos govt. to tackle non-payment of taxes
- Bayelsa: World Assembly of Youth sues for peace
- Only 8 renal transplantation centres exist in Nigeria- Nephrologist
- Kwara Speaker advocates media, legislative synergy
- Perm Sec, State House, Arabi mourns as assassins kill Director
- FRSC @32: Corps urges staff to shun unwholesome acts
- Visa ban: US gives Nigeria conditions for review of policy
- Lagos Deputy Governor reiterates importance of traditional rulers in national development
- Assembly to collaborate with Nasarawa govt. on Masaka market relocation crisis
- FG to release N6bn for 2,500 housing project in Bauchi
- Alleged harassment: Petroleum tanker drivers commence strike in Kano
- Onu woos foreign investors on methanol policy
- Families of fallen heroes receive cheques from Defence ministry
- March 1 relocation date remains sacrosanct, Ebonyi Govt. tells traders
- IPMAN disassociates self from ongoing strike in Kano
- NSF: Sports commissioner receives unity torch in Kaduna
- Benin experiences 1st rain of 2020
- I did not assault fellow Oba — Oluwo
- Turkish court delivers surprise acquittal in landmark protest trial
- Presidential aide urges understanding to tackle nation’s challenges
- KDSG to bid for 2022 NSF
- APC youths protest appointment of cashier in Kwara council
- Bankers Committee to help bridge infrastructure deficit in Nigeria
- Fiscal Commission partners with ICPC to strengthen anti-corruption war
- First Group of Over 1,400 Stranded Ethiopian Migrants Arrive from Tanzania
- Audi and BMW operations in China back to normal
- President Buhari scores NDA high for training EFCC cadets
- Switzerland helps East African communities fight locust swarms
- FRSC 32nd Anniversary: Don advocates inclusion of road safety in university curriculum
- Lawmakers weep over Katsina killings
- Nigeria Taekwondo sets for Olympic qualifiers in Morocco
- Soba conjoined twins receiving care at ABUTH
- Secretary Pompeo’s Meeting with Ethiopian President Sahle-Work
- WHO reports 92 cases of human-to-human coronavirus cases outside China
- Senate moves to check medical brain drain in Nigeria
- NGO empowers 120 vulnerable persons in Kwara
- Russian blogger’s HIV documentary reaches millions, draws Kremlin praise
- Man narrates how sister was allegedly murdered in Lagos hotel
- Secretary Pompeo’s Meeting with Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy
- Participate actively in politics, Akeredolu tells youths
- Jurors in Weinstein’s rape trial to begin deliberations on verdict
- We ‘ve plan to develop education in Lagos State- Lawmaker
- CGI says NIS has no power to reopen Nigerian borders
- Police officer kills four in-laws, commits suicide
- First Netanyahu corruption trial hearing set for March 17
- NSPRl trains NYSC members on post-harvest handling of crops
- Secretary Michael R. Pompeo’s Meeting with Angolan President Lourenço
- UNICEF urges stakeholders to ensure safe learning environment in Nigeria
- Allegedly xenophobic AfD ‘colouring book’ investigated in Germany
- Alleged N2bn fraud: EFCC witness claims statement not under duress
- U.S. to offer financial support for Ethiopia political reforms – PM
- Russia: New EU mission on Libya needs UN Security Council approval
- EFCC arrests man, 60, over alleged attempt to smuggle suspected hard drug to detained son
- NSE: Bears still on rampage, index drops further by 0.08%
- Agency worried over marital conflicts, land disputes in Ekiti