The Lagos State Government on Wednesday gave six days ultimatum to all transport unions and roadside traders to relocate and remove their illegal structures on Lagos-Badagry Expressway and Oshodi-Abule Egba BRT corridors.
Salaam said the clean-up and recovery of Right of Way in the affected corridors would commence on Tuesday.
“Market men and women, members of road transport unions and other road users are enjoined to desist from needless abuse of the roads, right of way as well as road set-backs.
“It is disheartening to say that the state of the two roads is that of total lawlessness through the activities of traders who have converted BRT corridors to trading centres.
“Also, is the illegal activities of oil barons and gangs, especially at Eric Moore where they have are using the corridor as their base.
“Thus, pursuant to the Executive Order, the public is hereby intimated of the plans of the state government to clean up roads and recover the Rights of Way in these areas.
“Of equal importance is the environmental regeneration of the entire stretch of the road which has been taken over by shanties, refuse and vegetal nuisances,’’ he said.
Salaam said the plan to open the BRT corridors on the already completed segments of the roads would expectedly improve public transportation on the corridors.
He said the plan to upgrade the road would provide a boost for trade and commerce, enhance tourism and generate more jobs for the people.
“Also, social life of the people will improve while traffic induced crimes will reduce to the barest minimum, if not totally eliminated.
“Also, stress provoked health challenges will equally scale down, while value of properties along the corridor will attract commensurate value,’’ he said.
- Nigerian Customs not afraid to take bold decisions
- TETFund retrieves N10bn from non-performing institutions
- Budget: We’re poised to exercise our constitutional mandate–Zamfara Speaker
- Police deploy new CP to Adamawa for LG Election
- Buratai tasks officers on improvement on current successes
- Agency begins taxpayer engagement to enhance revenue collection – Chairman
- Boko Haram abducts 18 in Cameroon’s Far North region
- Emir seeks abolition of GRA in llorin
- Apapa 72 hours road closure: FG seeks understanding for construction works
- EFCC nabs 4 suspects over alleged fraudulent business in Sokoto, Kebbi states
- Gov. Sule, Al-Makura deny friction over alleged inherited debts
- 40 youths receive N7.5m grant from IITA, AfricaRice project
- Zambia says plans to re-launch national airline active
- NSE moves 197.04m shares worth N3.53bn in bearish trading
- Yuletide: FRSC warns drivers against overloading, speeding in Sokoto
- Kwara Customs Command takes anti-smuggling campaign to border communities
- FCT minister lauds sharia court for being responsive
- AOT Lagos 1.0: Tech entrepreneurs advise startups on business sustainability
- Mental wellbeing is an inalienable right of every Nigerian – NGO
- NAF trains 3,629 personnel to meet Nigeria’s dynamic security challenges
- Lawyers call for abrogation of laws granting ex-governors pension
- Erosion prevention: Stakeholders seek national soil policy
- NIMASA’ll collaborate with other agencies to drive the transport sector – Peterside
- Train: Commuters laud FG’s investment, urge sustenance
- Port Harcourt varsity ASUU wants closed secretariat reopened
- 124 bag first class as OAU graduates 7,209
- 14 killed in rebel attack in Congo
- Shell pledges to implement NOSDRA’s directive on N2.74 remediation of spill site
- 8 die and 80,000 displace in Uganda flooding and landslides
- Gov. Buni swears-in 20 commissioners, special advisers
- Nigeria records slight reduction in corruption prevalence in 2019′ — NBS
- NIMASA boss advises transport institute on transformation of sector
- FG committed to establishment of ECOWAS Central Bank–Finance minister
- El-Rufai urges patronage of army’s defence hardware
- Traffic law enforcement: LASTMA set to track violators with mobile device
- Rape : 6 Lagelu Grammar School students denied bail
- NCCE boss, varsity VC bag 2019 campus safety leadership impact award
- $2.2trn global economy lost to illicit trade –Analyst
- NCWD donates 100 laptops to deaf women, female artisans
- Enugu Govt. targets 1 million children for Meningitis A vaccination
- Remain united, Gov. Wike urges ex-servicemen
- Border closure: Temporary pains for long term gains -presidential aide
- Yuletide: Ministry promises early completion of road repair in Edo
- Niger Insurance pays N1.4b claims in 9months, promises to settle outstanding soon
- Deafness: Specialist recommends regular check on ears
- Don lauds FG on Budget Circle
- Union seeks NASS intervention over stamp duties, fears job losses in NIPOST
- AAUA alumni inaugurates education trust fund for indigent students
- Improve your IGR, Adamu urges tertiary institutions
- Kaduna Govt. trains MDAs on key roles to achieving MDGs