Alhaji Shehu Ahmad, a member of House of the Representatives (PDP– Maru/Bungudu Constituency), has disbursed N10.5 million to 1,050 women traders in Maru and Bungudu Local Government Areas of Zamfara.
Ahmad stated this at the inauguration of the disbursement exercise on Tuesday in Bungudu community of Zamfara.
He said that the gesture was aimed at empowering women to engage in productive activities and become self-reliant.
“Women empowerment is one of our major campaign promises, we are supporting 1,050 women small scale traders under the fourth batch of the programme,
“Each of the beneficiaries will receive with N10,000. The beneficiaries were selected from 21 political wards of Maru and Bungudu LGAs”, he said.
Ahmad said that 500 beneficiaries were selected in Maru and 550 others at Bungudu, adding that the exercise was conducted in partnership with a development organisation, Fulbe Care Initiative.
“We reduced the number of those attending the inauguration of the disbursement exercise in compliance with the COVID 19 protocols.
“Only five beneficiaries from each of the 21 wards were selected for the event,” he added.
Also speaking, Umaru Dan-Umah, the Organising Secretary of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) in the state, lauded the gesture.
Dan-Umah said the gesture would go a long way to reduce unemployment, eradicate poverty and enhance wealth creation in the society.
He urged the beneficiaries to ensure good use of the money given to them to improve their businesses.
On his part, Programme Director of the organisation, Musa Aboki, commended the lawmaker for the initiative, and enjoined the beneficiaries to engage in viable ventures to improve their living conditions.
Aboki said the disbursement would continue at the 21 wards of the constituency.
Edited By: Shittu Obassa (NAN)
- Tanker drivers start strike Monday as talks with LASG end in deadlock
- NCDC confirms 437 new COVID-19 case, total of infection hits 46,577
- Apapa will open to traffic in October — LASG
- Halep to decide on United States Open after Prague event
- Gov. Fayemi mourns ex-Ekiti lawmaker, Fakiyesi
- Vettel says Ferrari messed up with nonsensical strategy
- Ekiti Govt paying lip service to healthcare delivery, say striking doctors
- Resumption: Academy wants COVID-19 protocol funds released directly to schools
- Willian confirms exit from Chelsea after 7 years
- Anglican Bishop urges govts to save SMEs from collapse