The Chairman, Lagos State House of Assembly Ad-hoc Committee on Local Government Administration, Mr Rotimi Olowo says the House will continue to work to ensure that the various councils deliver democratic dividends at the grassroots.
Olowo spoke on Wednesday, when he led other members to Ikorodu Local Government secretariat on oversight function.
He said that there must be a cordial relationship between the executive and the legislature, to enhance a successful delivery of dividends of democracy to the people at the grassroots.
“Why we came here is to strengthen the relationship between the executive and the legislative arm, so that they can be prepared and well equipped to deliver the dividends of democracy.
“It is the deliverable we are interested in; when there is a discourse between two arms of government, obviously it is going to affect the delivery,” the legislator said.
Olowo, the lawmaker representing Shomolu Constituency 1, commended the local government chairman for what he was doing in the council, but urged him to do more in terms of infrastructure and welfare of workers.
He said that the committee would expedite action in ensuring that the secretariat was moved to a more befitting location.
In his response, the Council chairman, Mr Wasiu Adeshina, commended the House Committee chairman and the members on their visit.
He promised to work on things pointed out during the visit and thanked the legislative arm for their support in ensuring delivery of benefits of democracy to the people of the area.
Adeshina said that his administration recently donated free exercise books to pupils in all the 16 primary schools in Ikorodu and embarked on filling of pot holes in the local government area.
Edited by Gregg Mmaduakolam/Oluwole Sogunle
- UAE donates 7.5 tonnes of medical supplies to Nigerian Govt.
- Police arrest human trafficking kingpin in Katsina State
- Lagos-Ibadan Rail to begin operations with 16 trips daily – NRC
- Our borrowings are justified – FG says
- Military airstrike hits bandits’ camp, kills scores in Kaduna forest
- Ondo State governorship election: APC inaugurates national campaign council
- Number of migrants landing in Italy more than doubles in past year
- Sodomy: NAPTIP arrests labourer for luring 12 children in Sokoto
- Council sensitises mothers in Badagry on rape, child abuse
- Always cooperate with government, RTEAN urges transport unions