Lawmakers, constituents and administrators in Mushin 2 Constituency and Ojo Constituency 1 in Lagos State have expressed concern about threats posed by increasing flood and other environmental challenges.
A member, Lagos State House of Assembly, Mr Olawale Abdul-Sobur, made this known at a Stakeholders’ Constituency Meeting, with the theme: “Environmental Challenges: Community Engagement to Facilitate Lasting Solution’’, held in Mushin on Wednesday.
Abdul-Sobur said that the most challenging in Mushin 2 Constituency was the increasing and threatening environmental issue.
He said that the environmental issues facing the state and Mushin in particular, were constant flooding and drainage-related matters.
“I have set up an ad hoc committee which has gone round the state on oversight of existing contracts in respect of our channels and drainages in the state.
“Despite several efforts being put in place to sensitise residents on the need to protect the environment, some still prefer to violate the environmental laws which has frustrated our efforts and investments in the sector.
“Although a lot of work still need to be done for us to achieve our desired results as stated by the present administration in its six pillars of developing Lagos State.
The lawmaker appealed to residents to comply with environmental laws and embrace attitudinal change and join hands with the administration in a renewed commitment to preserve the environment.
He thanked the constituents for encouraging them and giving them positive feedback.
Abdul-Sobur said he was certain that the outcome of the meeting would further enhance the collaborative efforts toward making the state the centre of excellence that it was.
At the meeting, the Mushin Local Government Chairman, Emmanuel Bamgboye, said his works could speak for him, citing the various road constructions he had embarked on and the ones he had completed.
“We did a network road at Ilasa, Idi Oro and we are presently doing two others. We have tarred over 18 roads and repaired various street lights.
“About the recurrent repairs of the Mushin road, we are doing our home-work. We want to take a holistic approach; the act of patching and repairing has not worked, so we are working on it.
Also in Ojo Constituency 1, the residents demanded for people-oriented facilities to enable them live a better life.
The residents made the appeal during the Stakeholders’ Constituency Meeting which was at the instance of the state government for the people to evaluate the performance of their representatives and chart a way forward.
Mr Folorusho Gbolagade, a Civil Engineer, while making his remark on the threat of flood in the area said that, the area being coastal needed a deeper canal.
The engineer said that “many buildings in the Iba area of the constituency were on the verge of collapse due to improper channeling of water, shallow and in some cases unavailable drainages.
“Also, there is a need for removal of water hyacinth on the waters and the mounting of night security surveillance on the area to check people dumping refuse bins on the water bodies.
“Many buildings in the area are on the verge of collapse due improper channeling of water and inadequate facilities to contain the crisis,’’ he said.
Mr Haruna Olatunji, a former Education Director, said that with the upsurge in population in the Okokomaiko area, there was need to establish more schools in the area.
“Children in this place go through difficulties to go to Ojo and other adjoining towns for schooling. The situation has led to many school drop-outs and it is not helping the society,’’ he said.
Olatunji appealed that the facilities provided for the area should be evenly spread.
In his remarks at the meeting, the lawmaker representing the area, Mr Victor Akande, told the people that the focus of the meeting was the environment.
Akande noted that the peoples’ inputs were needed to guide the state in addressing the environmental challenges.
He said: “Curbing the continued indiscriminate dumping of refuse on streets drainages and major highways is of concern to the state.
“Enlightening residents on the hazard posed by this unsocial conduct is also of significance to the state.’’
According to him, most of the people’s demands are already captured in my party’s plan for the area and will be attended to.
Edited by Oluyinka Fadare/Adeleye Ajayi
- Atletico Madrid one of football’s toughest opponents, Klopp says
- Neymar set to play against Borussia Dortmund, PSG coach says
- Oyo govt. to prosecute illegal motor park operators
- Messi, Hamilton joint winners of Sportsman of the Year at Laureus Awards
- Edo reiterates commitment to fighting against human trafficking
- 53 African varsities converge on Abuja to consolidate ACE impact
- Crisis in childhood HIV treatment in western and central Africa
- New Akwa Ibom NSCDC commandant resumes, advises miscreants to relocate
- 6 persons die in accident in Niger — FRSC
- WACO FA defeat Winco Foam FC to lift FCT FA Cup
- Jigawa bye-election: Musa wins APC Babura/Garki Federal Constituency primary
- FG selects 6 states for pilot Open Schooling Programme
- Aregbesola tasks security agencies on war against terrorism
- Agric revolution: NIRSAL, BOI, others, support agro-industrial processing zones creation
- Engaging untrained teachers in schools worrisome – UNGA President
- Kebbi Govt. integrates 504 Qur’anic schools, enrolls 23, 000 children – Commissioner
- Death sentence: Gov. Matawalle sends delegation to KSA
- Critics blames Britain for inviting China’s Hikvision to security fair
- Katsina Killings: FG’s delegation condole with State Govt., victims
- Kano Govt approves N26m to settle NECO, NBTE exams debt
- Police rescue 1 kidnapped JAMB staff, searching for others
- Police rescue 1 JAMB kidnapped staff, others still being held by captors
- Seme Customs intercepts drugs concealed inside 2 commercial buses
- NNPC, JV partners disburse $360m for Ogoni Clean-up
- FG extols Nigeria-India relations to drive technology devt. in Africa
- NDA will not compromise standards in training cadets – Commandant
- Basketball Africa League (BAL): Transcripts of All Star 2020 Game Players
- Police extend curfew in Bayelsa to Feb. 23
- Bulgarian police stop truck carrying migrants in refrigerated cargo
- Abia govt. begins investigation into Abia Warriors/Enyimba violent clash
- We have technologies that can bring immediate jobs — NBTI DG
- Al-Assad promise to continue onslaught on Idlib, Aleppo countryside
- 5 civilians killed in accidental explosion in Cameroun’s Anglophone region
- Challenger Series Review
- Katsina attack: Gov Masari visits affected villages
- FG ready to collaborate with NDVC to actualise diaspora voting – Osinbajo
- Withdrawal of certificate: KWASU reacts to social media video
- Man, 25, docked for alleged damage to security wire
- Gunmen abduct 2 in Calabar
- Kwara Govt reaffirms commitment to independent Judiciary
- China’s leverage in real economy rises in 2019
- Court turns down lawyer’s plea, orders arrest of ex-Customs boss, Dikko
- Senate President urges more action on school dropouts, unemployment
- FCC to ensure fairness, equity in personnel recruitment among MDAs – Ag. chairman
- Coronavirus: W/Africa region needs $50m to strengthen preparedness- WAHO
- COVID-19: Epidemiologist urges concerted efforts to strengthen preparedness
- CBN pleads for land for 3 coys to build dairy factories in FCT
- CSR: Ikeja Electric donates medical equipment to Ikorodu General Hospital
- Cooperative Society, critical tool to achieving affordable housing – Fashola
- Coca Cola Safe Birth Initiative, Medshare donate $2m equipment to Alimosho General Hospital
- Mission of the Czech Defense and Security Industry to Djibouti and Ethiopia
- FG urges collaboration with stakeholders for Niger Delta development
- WHO says latest Chinese data may point to declining covid-19 spread
- EU pledges $108m for Albania’s post-quake reconstruction
- Pope Francis has done ‘too little’ on sex abuse crisis, victims say
- Singer who plotted to kill Rwanda president found dead in police cell
- ASUU calls for review of existing laws on sexual harassment
- Passengers burnt beyond recognition on Malumfashi-Kafur road in Katsina – FRSC
- Cruise ship cases increase as coronavirus threatens China’s largest political gathering of year
- Seme Customs seizes 235 contraband valued at N91.1m this year
- Taliban claims deal with U.S. to be signed by February
- Oyo govt. inaugurates ex-NURTW boss as chairman of parks disciplinary c’ttee
- SGF advises developers on effects of climate change
- Man, 43 faces trial for allegedly beating policeman on duty
- Traffic Violation: FCTA arraigns 34 offenders
- Karaye Emirate Council restates commitment to curb rape, drug abuse
- FG intensifies health workers’ response to humanitarian crisis
- New Bayelsa Gov. Diri urges Assembly to pass 2020 Budget
- Oyo govt. to revoke 4 road contracts
- INEC to decide resumption date for PVCs collection soon — Okoye
- Rice farmers in Kano seek more earth dams to boost irrigation
- Updated: EU resolves to set up new mission enforcing Libyan arms embargo
- FRSC flags off special intervention patrol in Kwara
- Persistent sell pressure: NSE All-Share Index resumes with 0.67% loss
- Oluwo, Agbowu face-off unfortunate– Osun govt.
- FG builds capacity of youth with disabilities
- NASS is committed to fight insecurity, says Senate President
- Covid-19: ECOWAS ministers of health to strengthen regional preparedness
- Senate calls for mandatory health insurance scheme for Nigerians
- Boxing coach decry lack of financial support by Boxing Federation
- Stakeholders, lawmakers meet over access to clean water, sanitation in Plateau
- FG to establish agro-industrial processing zones to reduce importation, others
- Tailoring: Union official decries power outage
- Kano human rights-friendly state – NHRC
- Rangers International protest Match Day 20 fixture officiating
- Kwara govt. to revoke 5,000 plots of land
- Foreign institutions optimistic on china’s economy, expect strong rebound in 5 months
- Minister tasks Nigerian youths on active participation in politics
- Enugu Govt, US group commence free medical outreach
- Come out of hiding, Shari’a Council dares Shekau
- Amotekun bill passes first reading at Osun Assembly
- NHRC to tackle Sexual Gender based violence in Nigeria
- 200 begin agripreneurship training programme in Lagos
- Bello warns MDAs against contract inflation, project padding
- Lassa fever: Avoid contact with rats, warns Veterinary Surgeon
- Delta Govt begins construction of drainage channels in Uvwie
- Spanish La Liga allow Barca to make emergency striker signing
- NBTI DG inspects incubation facilities in Lafia, Makurdi
- Niger Delta records 416 violence, 1,013 fatality cases in 2019 — NGO
- Israeli researchers develop standalone system to produce water from air in desert areas
- Gunmen kill 24 in attack on Burkina Faso church
- Lagos Correctional Service gets new controller
- PSG have abundant talent even without Neymar, Borussia Dortmund’s coach says
- DSS seeks collaboration of Plateau Assembly to reduce crimes
- Ondo IGR now N2.2 bn monthly- Akeredolu
- FRSC prosecutes 158 traffic offenders in Lagos, Ogun, says Zonal Commander
- Oil Palm company mourns 6 deceased staff in road accident in Edo
- Oil Palm company mourns 6 deceased staff in road accident in Edo
- Agege Sports Competition will positively change youths’ perception- Organiser
- Unearthed ancient human fossils to be shown to public in Myanmar’s central region
- Equatorial Guinea demands France return seized Paris mansion at ICC
- Nigeria Taekwondo Federation hopeful on 2020 Tokyo Olympics qualification
- Facebook warns of risks to innovation, freedom of expression ahead of EU rules
- Free condom distribution in Nigeria declining – UNFPA
- We have surpassed WHO standard on NTD in Gombe-NGO
- His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed receives Ethiopian PM
- CILT calls for road tax system to encourage use of public transportation in Lagos
- Presidency raises alarm over fake news, dismisses reports on Buhari’s 20-day foreign trip
- U.S.-China trade deal will hurt Germany, says world economic institute
- Man, 34, bags 1 year imprisonment for stealing N110,000
- NSE boss, commuters task LASG on early completion of Agege Flyover
- UN envoy condemns use of hunting rifles against Iraqi protesters
- 2 C’River agencies to partner on strategic outdoor advertising
- Association, agency move to produce water resources map
- Disu says Ighalo will surely succeed at Manchester United
- EU ministers agree to new naval mission monitoring Libya arms embargo
- NOA urges Plateau citizens to demand for Open Government Partnership
- Adamawa student union to train members on skill acquisition
- EU suspends sanctions on Zimbabweans, warns of humanitarian crisis
- 9.4m toilets needed to end open defecation annually
- Nasarawa Assembly urges quick release of abducted Perm. Sec.
- FG urges state govts to consider IGR as critical instrument of funding
- Attacks: Ilorin residents seek police assistance
- Nigerian importers running out of business, says IMAN BoT chairman
- Empowering Health Workers on Child Growth Assessment
- I don’t subscribe to removal of security votes- Prof. Okolie
- Iranian accused of violating U.S. sanctions returns home from Germany
- ITF trains 200,000 youths on various skills since inception of NISDP -DG
- Expert says growing climate change causes extended harmattan
- Daycare worker in court for allegedly defiling 21-month-old toddler
- Court insists Wema Bank, officials should appear over alleged contempt
- Why we delayed visit to oil spill site in Brass-NOSDRA
- Pakistan again rejects Afghan accusation of harbouring militants
- No fewer than 22 killed in attack on village in Cameroon, UN says
- Kano LG targets 43,000 children for immunization in February
- No doctor will participate at 5th NMA Games without certificate of medical fitness, LOC says
- Advocate wants regulators to create jingles on health and safety on TV, radio stations
- Airstrikes on Syria’s Aleppo struck two hospitals
- In a meeting with Egyptian Foreign Minister, Edgars Rinkēvičs discusses Latvian-Egyptian cooperation and developments in Libya
- Young parliamentarians task NASS on inclusion of young legislators in committees
- 2023: BMO to support candidate with Nigerian agenda
- UTME: No admissions outside CAPS – Education Minister
- Akeredolu promises to achieve 100% immunisation coverage in Ondo
- Artisan docked for allegedly defrauding client N990,000
- Bangladesh high commission seeks partnership with NIPOST
- Bangladesh seeks partnership with NIPOST
- Safe, Quality medicines: NAFDAC reiterates determination to collaborate with stakeholders
- Delta RIFAN nominates 6,500 farmers for CBN-sponsored dry season farming
- Girls Softball tourney begins in Ibadan with 11 teams
- Abees Academy beat Basic Maracana to finish third in 2019/2020 FCT FA League
- Expert advises young entrepreneurs on digital marketing
- EU hosts donors’ conference for Albania after devastating earthquake
- Taiwan says previous regime possibly behind unsolved murders in 1980
- Thailand seeking to ease losses as virus slows tourism from China
- Strong political party ideology will curb defection – BMO
- 2 men in court for allegedly raping 16-year-old girl
- German economy at risk due to coronavirus – central bank
- WHO-China expert team begins coronavirus field inspections
- Daura LG distributes 100 sacks of maize to cripples, lepers
- Anchor Borrowers Programme : 40,000 rice farmers to benefit in Kano
- Enugu govt to train 120 farmers on cultivation of vetiver grass for erosion control-Official
- Edo 2020: 186 Athletes to represent Adamawa
- Edo NMA calls on FG to tackle insecurity
- 20m Nigerians have kidney diseases – association
- Marine waste clean-up yielding results — LASWA
- Businessman drags hairdresser, mechanic to court over alleged slander
- Traditional Chinese medicine effective in COVID-19 treatment- official
- Gov. El-Rufai presents 24 Jeeps to High Court judges
- Rojenny Stadium ready to host Police Games in Anambra
- EFCC secures 1,266 convictions in 14 months – Magu
- Elton John says he’s ‘deeply upset’ after cutting short NZ concert
- Huawei to make more contribution in 2020 to ICT capacity building in Ethiopia
- NAF destroys ISWAP training camp in Borno
- Expert warns against incessant clicking on links in internet
- Nasarawa monarch tasks parents on girl-child education to curb early marriage
- Africa Energy Forum 2020 to address SDG7 and Impact of Energy Investment
- Cleric urges youths to be agents of positive change
- Cleric urges youths to be agents of positive change
- Man, 31, sentenced to 3 years in prison for stealing cows
- Vaccination will prevent millions of TB cases yearly – Expert
- Association says charcoal is untapped goldmine
- Alleged N32.8bn Pension Fraud: Court grants EFCC leave to amend charge
- Ondo State: Council boss frowns at unwholesome practices at abattoir
- How stable economy can promote reading culture — Association
- Kwara by-election: APC picks younger brother of deceased lawmaker as candidate
- Court places nursing mother on probation for stealing cell phone
- Most parties deregistered are political ambition retailers – BMO
- Attack on Radio Bayelsa: New GM reverses suspension of 9 workers
- Police nab 6 for allegedly burning D-G’s car in Niger
- Alleged unpaid allowamce: Absence of ex-Kogi deputy governor’s witness stalls suit against Gov. bello