The association President Worldwide, Mr Ikenna Obiasor, made the call at the 2019 Award of Excellence in Lagos.
Obiasor said that the university needs the help of all, because it has become more difficult for the government to fund the university alone.
According to him, a lot of decay is going on in the school, which has made it imperative for all of us to put hands together to see how the standard could be kept.
“We sit down to reflect on the escapades during the time we were there.
“The students now are at the receiving end. We have dilapidated hostels,” he said.
Obiasor said that the Alumni body should do something urgently about it.
He also called on all to take it as a challenge to visit the school to see where they could give a helping hand.
The association president said that help could be rendered through groups, Class of 2000 or through the Alumni association.
Also, the Lagos branch Chairman, Mr Stephen Onojomete, said irrespective of how strong a university is, it could not be perfect.
Onojomete said that there was always the need to outsource help outside the community, hence decision of the Alumni to create awareness.
He said that the university lacked functional borehole in the Males and Females Hostel Hall I.
The branch chairman said that the Alumni had discussed with the Director of Works, who had asked how the Alumni could help with solutions.
He said that as a body this was what they faced, adding that the challenges need supports and intervention of its awardees.
Earlier, Chairman of the occasion, Gen. Felix Edafioghor, urged all present, especially the awardess to focus deeply on how the institution contributed to what they were today, and give back to the school to make it greater.
Edafoghor said: “ It would be very important to mention here that strong Alumni Association reflect the products of such university.
“We have very strong supporting Alumnus from Uniben, but our participation in the Alumni activities have not been encouraging.”
Edited & Vetted By: Olagoke Olatoye
- NNPC set to take measures to curb oil theft
- Gov. Ishaku tasks state governments on Human Rights promotion
- International Human Rights Day: U.S. Consulate urges empowerment of local leaders empowerment to protect citizens rights
- National security: Air Chief assures best training for NAF personnel
- Abuse: Create platforms for students to rate lecturers anonymously- Gender Activist
- DMO clarifies Nigeria’s external debt
- 35 land grabbing cases pending in Lagos courts – attorney-general
- LSFVCB arrests 30 sellers of pirated films
- Don calls for integration of orature into universities curriculum
- Lagos courts to go digital in 2020 — AG
- Anchor Borrowers:CBN tasks cotton farmers on prompt repayment of agric loans
- ICMPD to train 500 teacher-trainers on mainstreaming trafficking in persons into NCE
- College of Insurance partners international organisations to boost status
- Hate speech: NBC urges FG to promote news literacy, professional journalism
- Improve capacity building in medical image analysis, computer vision- Expert
- Jigawa, Kaduna, Delta tops 2018 states budget transparency – Report
- Swedish envoy urges strategic action, awareness creation against gender-based violence
- N80 bn budget for 23 Kaduna LGAs scales 2nd reading
- Nigeria supports global efforts on elimination of Nuclear weapons
- Yuletide: Stop using fake, substandard tyres to avoid road crashes- Olagunju
- NDLEA destroys 11,669 kg of illicit drugs worth N1.65bn in Nasarawa
- British Council presents development grants to women groups in Adamawa
- UN wants Somali youth to promote human rights protection for stability
- Institute solicits FG’s support to provide detailed survey, soil resources mapping
- Boris Johnson under fire as health survey finds many die in emergency wait
- 4 Brigade Troops arrest 5 for suspected murder, armed robbery
- Russian separatists in Ukraine signal support for peace deal
- Minister expresses concern over human trafficking
- Experts advocate mental health therapy for GBV victims
- Yuletide: Oyeyemi warns transport unions against overloading, speeding
- Israel reaffirms commitment to partnering Nigeria on agric technology, entrepreneurship devt
- Promote rule of law over self interest, Oyo Speaker urges lawyers
- Berlin declares emergency in climate
- Emir of Karaye lauds NMA over contribution to community health
- Nigeria Immigration Service Deputy CG, Anene, retires
- SWAN commends Gov. Abdulrazaq over baseball park renovation
- Germany working on defense system to protect airports from drones
- Buhari calls for multilateral approach to combat terrorism
- NECO: EFCC arrests vice-principal, 2 others over exam malpractice in Ilorin
- No reprieve for Hungary in EU grilling over rule of law concerns
- Without convergence, single currency will be catastrophic – ECOWAS Commission President
- Forgive me, Fayose begs aggrieved PDP members
- $22.7 loan request meant for infrastructure- FG
- A’Ibom 2020 budget: Group says N4bn for education “too paltry”
- Katsina state govt. establishes 5 new irrigation schemes
- Sudan: Al-Bashir questioned over 1989 coup that brought him to power
- FG launches N46.83bn agric. scheme in 9 oil producing states
- Zambia gov’t says ready for talks to abolish death penalty
- Oyo govt. reinstates 300 sacked workers
- CBi launches National Integrity Barometer to tackle corruption