FEATURE: By Oluwafunke Ishola, Nigeria News Agency
Indeed, individuals and businesses now crave e-payment platforms mainly due to the immense economic benefits they derive from them, which include convenience, affordability, availability, and customer retention.
For instance, a recent report of the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) on “Selected Banking Sector Data: Sectoral Breakdown of Credit, ePayment Channels and Staff Strength” for first quarter, shows that a total of 557,083,712 electronic payment transactions valued at N34.02 trillion were recorded in selected banks across the country.
The e-payment channels include: the Nigeria Inter-Bank Settlement System Instant Payments (NIP), Automated Teller Machine (ATM), Point of Sale (PoS), electronic cheque truncation, mobile cash, electronic bills pay, web and mobile payment, among others.
Statistics indicate that cash and cheque use are declining as the world is swiftly becoming the age of digital payments, push payments and instant payments.
Analysts say the rise of different e-payment channels continues to have a direct impact on local economies, especially Nigeria.
In 2016, a report by Moody’s Analytics commissioned by Visa Incorporated showed that increased use of electronic payment products, including credit, debit and prepaid cards, added 296 billion dollars to the Gross Domestic Product (GDP), while raising household consumption of goods and services by an average of 0.18 per cent per year.
The report: “The Impact of Electronic Payments on Economic Growth” was conducted in 70 countries between 2011 and 2015.
The report also showed that e-payments added 640 million dollars to Nigeria’s GDP and an average of 16,880 jobs per year within the review period.
The benefits of e-payment to Nigeria’s economy are unquantifiable as it is evolving into a cashless society, deepening financial inclusion, reducing poverty and contributing to the effectiveness and stability of the financial system.
Sam Okojere, Director, Payments System Management, Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), said the Nigerian Payments System had evolved over the years from primitive barter system to the use of cowries, metals, notes and to the present electronic payments system.
Okojere disclosed that CBN, as the regulator of the Payments System, had been implementing various policies and initiatives towards the development of the Nigerian Payments System.
According to Okojere, the strategic objective of the payments system is to migrate Nigeria from cash-based economy to an electronic payments inclined market. Thus, the bank’s strategic priorities have been to achieve a credible, reliable and efficient payments system.
Okojere disclosed this during a recent Joint Seminar for Banking and Telecom Regulators from the Sub-Saharan Africa Locations on Digital Products and Payment Systems in Lagos.
The seminar which had the theme: “Advancing ePayment and digital innovations in Africa – Evolution of Nigeria’s payment systems” was to promote financial inclusion through digital innovations in sub-Saharan Africa.
The seminar was organised to provide key officers of regulatory authorities in African Markets – notably locations with FirstBank subsidiaries; Ghana, Senegal, DRC, Gambia, Sierra Leone and Guinea – a platform to get familiar with developments in the Nigerian Payment Systems and Digital Products Industry.
Thereon replicating and adopting the knowledge from the seminar with a view to bolster the finance industry in their respective countries.
Speaking on how other countries can learn from the Nigerian experience, Okojere emphasised the need for strong collaboration, especially in the areas of intelligence gathering and information exchange to fight fraud.
“The Nigeria Electronic Fraud Forum is working on extending its partnership to other African countries.
“Also, periodic exchange of staff to learn on the job is very crucial to the development of competence,” Okojere said.
Notably, he stressed the need to start organising Intra-African Conferences with themes that reflected local challenges.
Specifically, he said the CBN continued to demonstrate its resolve to shape a more trusted and efficient payments landscape in Nigeria through its strong commitment to collaboration and stakeholder engagement.
Speaking on FirstBank’s leading role in promoting digital banking and financial inclusion across the country, Adesola Adeduntan, CEO, First Bank of Nigeria Ltd., said the bank had been a success story as far as digital banking was concerned.
“Today, we have more than 8.5 million people on our USSD *894# banking platform, more than three million people on our Firstmobile platform.
“We are the only Bank in Nigeria that has issued cards in excess of 10 million in Nigeria.
“When you are looking at that institution that has achieved a lot in terms of digital payment, it is First Bank. More than 80 per cent of our transactions are carried out on our digital channels,” Adeduntan said.
He restated that economic growth and development of host communities was important to the bank, and that assisting Nigeria and the continent at large address poverty was imperative and reason for financial inclusion being at the core of its business strategy.
He said First Bank was also committed to financial inclusion and would continue to improve the lives of Nigerians through the provision of innovative financial services.
Also, Mr Chuma Ezirim, Group Executive, e-Business & Retail Products, First Bank, noted that the bank was pursuing sustainable financial inclusion by leveraging its unparalleled experience in serving the low income segments.
“Our agent banking offering with focus on serving financially excluded individuals and small businesses in rural areas is experiencing exponential growth with significant revenue and social impact,” he said.
Ezirim disclosed that First Bank had over 28, 000 agent banking network located in 754 local government areas, processing N240 billion worth of transactions monthly.
Corroborating the First Bank boss, Mr Mike Ogbalu, Chief Executive Officer, Verve International, said Nigeria’s payments system had evolved over the last 20 years with amazing impact on the economy, industries and the lives of Nigerians.
Also, Premier Oiwoh, Managing Director, Nigeria InterBank Settlement System (NIBSS), disclosed that Nigeria was one of the few countries in Africa and the world to have deployed an Instant Payment platform solution.
According to Oiwoh, the NIBSS Instant Payment (NIP) is the first and only point-to-point funds transfer service that guarantees instant value to the beneficiary.
He disclosed that the NIP experienced exponential growth value from N3.9 trillion in 2012 to N39.9 trillion as at June 2018.
Oiwoh noted that benefits of improved payment system would facilitate the entry of new players into the financial industry, faster turnaround time with inter-bank transactions, convenient banking and improved innovations from mobile and internet banking.
Others include: next day settlement of merchants for Point of Sale (POS) transactions, availability and uniform functionality of the terminals and uniformed card acceptability across the network.
However, he itemised fear of fraud and security issues, infrastructural challenges and low level of card usage on POS as some of the impediments to Nigeria’s electronic payment system.
Furthermore, Mr Agada Apochi, Managing Director, Unified Payment Services Ltd., urged operators in the payment system to evolve a scheme whereby various African currencies would be acceptable both as transaction, settlement and billing currencies.
“Otherwise, we would continue to depend on the dollars or pounds; because there is no national currency in African today that is allowed as a global currency for settlements or billing,” he said.
He also advised telecoms companies to reduce their roaming rates in Africa to deepen digitalisation, thus allow more businesses utilise their USSD for transactions during trips. He added that present roaming rates of telecoms companies in Africa was prohibitive.
**If used, please credit the writer as well as Nigeria News Agency
- How to make local rice attractive to Nigerians – farmers group
- Navy photographer wins award at Calcutta film festival
- FG inaugurates governing board for National Institute for Security Studies
- Saudi Arabian envoy meets Aisha Buhari to strengthen humanitarian intervention in Nigeria
- World Food Programme seeks collaboration with Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs
- We’ll provide enabling environment for businesses to thrive, Buhari assures
- FG to allocate first phase of National Housing Project in 2020
- Alleged misappropriation of funds: AMAC Speaker urges patience among residents
- Road construction creates jobs, promote procurement – Fashola
- UNICEF rolls out child-friendly community initiative in Adamawa
- Nigeria is working on Lassa fever vaccine — Minister
- Danish firm donates laptop computers to Oriwu College, Ikorodu
- Absence of witness stalls hearing of Offa robbery case
- Buhari greets APC stalwart, Emeka Wogu, at 55
- Coronavirus: FG assures will strengthen surveillance at 5 international airports
- Nigeria Entertainment Today unvails NECLive8 package
- Re-run election: INEC rejects results in Essien Udim LGA of Akwa-Ibom
- Border: NIS arrests 4 human traffickers, rescues 4 victims
- 2020: FRSC to begin vision test for drivers
- Reopening of Maiduguri-Damboa road excites traditional ruler, commuters
- Senate resumes, to deliberate on security challenges
- ACCI seeks attitudinal change by regulators to enhance ‘Ease of Doing Business’
- Halting spread of Coronavirus our highest priority- WHO
- CPC seals foreign supermarket for selling expired, contraband food items
- NAPTIP secures 84 convictions in Lagos state in 17 years
- FG moves to equip civil servants with technical skills
- National Park Service seeks media collaboration to cut down revenue flight
- Kogi Assembly confirms 16 commissioner nominees for appointment
- Development: Nasarawa govt urges youths to embrace education
- NEMA prepared to tackle floods in 2020 – DG
- Gov. Abiodun pledges to rebuild burnt Sagamu market
- Lagos-Ibadan Expressway project: more buildings to be demolished
- NYSC will start revenue generation soon, says DG
- Gov. Zulum says trust deficit between military, civil authorities prolonging insurgency
- Morte than 100 Vietnamese killed in traffic accidents over lunar near year
- Burundi human rights group reports abuses in run-up to presidential elections
- Electricity: GenCos fail to generate 3,205.5 megawatts due to gas shortage
- Thousands rally in Pakistan to demand release of rights activist
- NSE market indices extend loss by 0.59%
- 9th Assembly to deploy legislative instruments to address insecurity
- Lagos establishes farmers’ market, upgrades agricultural supply chain
- Police arraign 3 for allegedly stealing employer’s N180, 000 iron rods
- Agric expert advises farmers to respect NIMET guidelines
- Guinness pledges N480m for water intervention project in 5 states
- We’ll be harder on bandits, Buhari assures Nigerians
- World Data Privacy Day: Citizens urged to protect their personal data
- Lassa fever claims 4 lives in Taraba
- Wuhan virus spreads despite efforts to contain it
- Dentist on trial in Germany for 26 forged Picassos
- USAID launches $60m for West Africa trade, investment hub
- Nigeria needs 700,000 housing units yearly to bridge deficit – Economist
- GSS Gwarimpa emerges winner of 2020 NILDS quiz competition
- Group tasks FG on substantive engagement of youths
- Customs tasks officers on smugglers new methods
- NAPTIP inaugurates state-of- the arts operational facility in Benin
- Netanyahu indicted on corruption charges after immunity bid withdrawn
- NSCDC issues 3-weeks ultimatum to unregistered private guard companies in Jigawa
- Deadly attacks persist in Plateau communities, 1 killed, houses burnt
- Colombia faces judicial hassle over extradition from Venezuela
- 2020: Financial experts, others task FG on manufacturing, agricultural sectors
- APC in absolute control of Kano state says Doguwa
- Residents groan as power supply in Bayelsa worsen
- 7th KWASFEST: Athletes lament poor coordination, welfare, kits
- Fire razes Sabo market in Sagamu
- NGO embarks on measures to reduce poverty among people with disabilities
- Ikeja Computer Village: Court fixes April 8 for hearing in suit challenging levies
- 7th Kwara Sports Festival: Oyun, Ilorin South, Asa local governments win golds
- Kungfu Federation to establish training centres – President
- Ondo 2020: Why PDP may lose again, party leaders write Secondus, Atiku
- `Okada’ ban: Lagos residents hail Sanwo-Olu
- 40-year-old man electrocuted in Jigawa
- Union Bank of Nigeria to divest from UK subsidiary
- Residents debunk allegations of mayhem by `investors’ at `Oko Oloyun’s’ office
- Buhari to public officers: Don’t be afraid of audit if you are clean
- Environment:Agency cautions Nasarawa state residents against bush burning
- Nigerian Army reopens Maiduguri-Damboa Road, assures safety of commuters
- Army reopens Maiduguri-Damboa road, assures users of safety
- Nasarawa govt. distributes N29m food to boarding schools
- Lassa Fever: 3 persons discharge after testing negative in Adamawa
- FG to prioritise completion of road projects in Southwest, other zones – Official
- Nasarawa Govt to partner entertainment industry on youth restiveness
- Man in court over alleged breach of peace, threat to life
- Gov. Ortom says hospitality, tourism sectors viable revenue earners for govt.
- Plateau govt. to build 6 hospitals, world class medical laboratory
- Federal University Wukari appoints Registrar, Bursar
- Kaduna State Govt. to sanction defaulting PHCs
- Be more diligent, proactive in your duties, FRSC task officers
- Jigawa environmental agency evacuates 50, 000 tonnes of waste — Official
- ABCON celebrates 4 years of sustained exchange rate stability
- We are not distracted by your baseless rating, FG replies TI
- Eko Electric inaugurates projects at Ikoyi passport office
- Electronics dealer faces $17,297 fraud charge
- Emenike: Sponsors of killer NSCDC personnel must be unravelled – Rep. Chima
- Micro- Finance bank sues worker for allegedly stealing N1.8m
- Sanwo-Olu says women are potential asset for societal growth
- TUC calls for reduction in cost of governance for economic growth
- NGO donates 300 KVA transformer to Gwandu community in Kebbi
- Present govt interested in conducting census — NPC Ag. Chairman
- Ebonyi Govt explains N750 schools development levy
- Capacity building : Total to train 9 Nigerian lecturers at MIT
- Expert calls for holistic approach in curtailing outbreaks of Lassa fever
- Nigeria to begin rice export in 2 years…..Minister
- Corruption: NOA, ICPC partner on scrutinising execution of constituency projects
- FCTA begins payment of new Minimum Wage, clears N4bn arrears
- Police arraign man over alleged abduction, sexual assault of 3 women
- Lagos lawmaker distributes 1,000 JAMB forms to constituents
- 15 die, 38 injured as truck plunges into river on Ibadan-Ijebu Ode road
- Lassa fever spreads to Gombe: 2 die, 5 in hospital
- Why PFAs shun equities market – Operators
- Four sales reps face N23m cocoa theft charge
- NSCDC collaborates with JAMB to combat extortion, malpractice
- Agency provides 4 locations for gas operators in Kaduna
- Lassa fever: Emir of Kano calls for prayers, cautions against self medication
- Court reduces Maina’s bail conditions to N500m
- No confirmed case of Lassa fever in FCT –Minister
- Man bags 2 months for stealing track suit
- Enyo partners Cars45 to unveil Premium Auto Centre
- Nigeria, Netherlands explore areas of collaboration in education
- AEDC warn against spate of attacks on staff
- Police Games: Team assesses games facilities in Anambra
- No case of lassa fever in C/River, says Health Commissioner
- Biosafety agency cautions citizens on Lassa fever, coronavirus , assures on containment
- NDE trains 630 unemployed youth in Kebbi
- Man docked for alleged N1.5m fraud
- Nigeria to get $417m from Global Fund to tackle Malaria
- National biosafety management agency receives world customs award
- NGO urges FG to revoke contract for Birnin Gwari-Dan Gulbi road, one other
- Woman rescues day-old baby in Niger
- Think out of the box, BPE boss tells staff
- Renewable energy: NCF seeks import duty removal on solar panel
- FG to intensify hand washing culture in public places to halt Lassa fever
- Lassa fever: Plateau confirms 7 cases, no death recorded
- NSE to launch Growth Board to boost liquidity
- FRSC tasks newly promoted officers on diligence
- Man arraigned for allegedly stealing N127,000
- Tomato farmers seek govt’s intervention to combat pests, boost production
- Miyetti Allah tasks Bello on security in Kogi
- CISLAC urges NASS to strengthen oversight on Defence sector
- Sen. Gyang decries killing of some Plateau citizens by gunmen
- Inauguration: NMA congratulates Gov. Bello, lauds achievements in health sector
- Traditional ruler lauds UNICEF, EU health interventions in Kebbi
- Global Fund increases allocation to Nigeria by 30% – Official
- Kano re-run: Police arrest 3 suspects for electoral offence
- Revenue commission targets solid minerals to enhance collection
- Anambra Govt. enrols war veterans in health insurance scheme, enrollment hits 81, 000
- Agency tasks religious leaders, faith communities on Universal Health Coverage
- Resumption: CISLAC sets agenda for NASS
- Holocaust: Germany reiterates commitment to combat hatred
- ALGON scores SIP high in Plateau
- Teenager Saka helps Arsenal into FA Cup fifth round
- Minister decries high cost of operations in Nigerian ports
- Nearly 500 migrants rescued by charity boats waiting to reach Europe
- Authorities in India’s west Bengal vote against controversial citizenship law
- 2 Republican senators lean towards wanting Bolton testimony
- France asks U.S. to keep up critical military support in West Africa
- Fashola orders articulated vehicle drivers to vacate road construction sites
- Finnish synagogue vandalised on Holocaust memorial day
- UN chief warns of rise of anti-Semitism on Auschwitz anniversary
- Oyo govt determined to improve IGR – Official
- Obaseki inaugurates 2020 NSF Secretariat
- LASG begins rehabilitation of Ojota Interchange/Kudirat Abiola Junction road
- LCCI reacts to upward review of CRR
- Don’t declare Abia North Senatorial seat vacant, Bourdex urges NASS
- Oba of Benin urges Ganduje to reconsider decision on new Emirates
- Wrestling: NWF names 15 athletes for 2020 African championships in Algiers
- Federal Poly Bida ASUP to call off 4-month strike by Friday
- Misappropriation of funds: AMAC revenue is open to public scrutiny – Chairman
- Buhari positioned to build stronger economy, say Middle East Media Reviews
- State govts desiring roads must be willing to pay compensations- Fashola
- NiMet predicts dust haze weather condition for Tuesday
- Chief of staff to Gov. Mohammed resigns, Ladan Salihu takes over
- Enugu Basketball coach mourns late Kobe Bryant
- NEXIM Bank, partners seek quick passage of Nigerian Factory Bill to promote SMEs
- Police confirms arrest of NSCDC official, alleged killer of AA chieftain in Imo
- No going back until insurgents are subdued –Buratai
- Bello retains SSG, lists 17 Commissioner nominees
- NSCDC orders investigations into killing of Imo AA senatorial candidate
- Kwara govt. revives moribund facilities as sports festival kicks off
- Lagos gets new cabinet members, perm secs
- Lassa Fever: Kwara Govt. sets up isolation centre, begins border screening
- FG pledges to support IDPs willing to return to their communities
- Breast Cancer: Mrs Akeredolu seeks financial support for patients
- Embrace tolerance for one another, UN admonishes youths
- EFCC arrests 2 for vote buying in Ogun rerun election
- Killing of AA Chieftain: NSCDC appeals for calm in Imo
- WAHO advises Nigerians on outbreak of coronavirus in China
- Holocaust: UN urges education, action against hatred
- President Buhari urges end to ‘Tit-ForTat’ violence in Plateau
- Buhari to inaugurate G-Money programme in C/River — Gov. Ayade
- Banditry: NAF assures North West of adequate security support
- France asks U.S. to keep up “critical” military support in West Africa
- Naira closes at N362.94/dollar at I & E window
- Agency, NMA apprehend quack doctor in Kano
- Moles undermining government efforts on security in Niger -Gov. Bello
- Borno contributory healthcare agency to begin enrolment
- NLNG, Eni sign Sale and Purchase Agreement
- Sri Lanka defeat Nigeria by 233 runs at Under-19 Cricket World Cup
- Indian investments in Nigeria exceed 15 billion dollars, says High Commissioner
- Enugu DisCo lauds group for peaceful protest, to address demands
- 2019/2020 FCT FA League: Waco Boys thrash Basic Maracana 6-1, Abees FC beat Fire Service