Mabel Madojiemu, an ex-athletics international, on Tuesday in Lagos said she has awarded scholarship to four secondary school athletes in Edo for their superlative performances at a recent athletics competition.
Madojiemu told the News Agency of Nigeria that the athletes —- two male and two female secondary school athletes —- would each enjoy a one-year scholarship programme.
The beneficiaries are Happiness Eshiemomoh of Hanana Group of Schools and Osato Osamuyi of lmaguero college, Liberty Azenakor of lgueben Grammar School and Paul Ovbokhan of St Mary Dedication School.
Madojiemu disclosed that the beneficiaries performed excellently at the first edition of the Princess Mabel Madojiemu Athletics Competition for Secondary Schools.
The competition was held at the University of Benin Sports Complex from May 6 to May 7, with no fewer than 15 schools presenting athletes.
Madojiemu, who is the founder of the athletics foundation overseeing the competition and award of scholarship, told NAN the gesture was her way of giving back to the society.
“I got the motivation to give back to my state when I thought about my humble beginning to where I am now, with athletics playing a major role in my life achievements.
“Athletics opened the door to who, what and where I am today,” she said.
Madojiemu, who was a 400 metres athlete, said subsequent editions of the competition would be better, pointing out that there was always room for improvement.
“The next edition will be bigger than the first edition and I believe there’s big hope for Nigeria’s athletics in the future, judging by what I saw at the competition.
“I am so happy that the event was successful. Fifteen schools participated, while medals, trophies and exercise books were given to the lucky winners.
“Our Foundation is aimed at moulding discovered athletes by giving them education, coaching, mentoring, kits and financial incentives.’’
- FMC Yenagoa marks 20th anniversary with free medical outreach for host community
- Anambra: Ojukwu varsity inducts 47 doctors, as Obiasor carts home 12 awards
- NNPC set to take measures to curb oil theft
- Gov. Ishaku tasks state governments on Human Rights promotion
- International Human Rights Day: U.S. Consulate urges empowerment of local leaders empowerment to protect citizens rights
- National security: Air Chief assures best training for NAF personnel
- Abuse: Create platforms for students to rate lecturers anonymously- Gender Activist
- DMO clarifies Nigeria’s external debt
- 35 land grabbing cases pending in Lagos courts – attorney-general
- LSFVCB arrests 30 sellers of pirated films
- Don calls for integration of orature into universities curriculum
- Lagos courts to go digital in 2020 — AG
- Anchor Borrowers:CBN tasks cotton farmers on prompt repayment of agric loans
- ICMPD to train 500 teacher-trainers on mainstreaming trafficking in persons into NCE
- College of Insurance partners international organisations to boost status
- Hate speech: NBC urges FG to promote news literacy, professional journalism
- Improve capacity building in medical image analysis, computer vision- Expert
- Jigawa, Kaduna, Delta tops 2018 states budget transparency – Report
- Swedish envoy urges strategic action, awareness creation against gender-based violence
- N80 bn budget for 23 Kaduna LGAs scales 2nd reading
- Nigeria supports global efforts on elimination of Nuclear weapons
- Yuletide: Stop using fake, substandard tyres to avoid road crashes- Olagunju
- NDLEA destroys 11,669 kg of illicit drugs worth N1.65bn in Nasarawa
- British Council presents development grants to women groups in Adamawa
- UN wants Somali youth to promote human rights protection for stability
- Institute solicits FG’s support to provide detailed survey, soil resources mapping
- Boris Johnson under fire as health survey finds many die in emergency wait
- 4 Brigade Troops arrest 5 for suspected murder, armed robbery
- Russian separatists in Ukraine signal support for peace deal
- Minister expresses concern over human trafficking
- Experts advocate mental health therapy for GBV victims
- Yuletide: Oyeyemi warns transport unions against overloading, speeding
- Israel reaffirms commitment to partnering Nigeria on agric technology, entrepreneurship devt
- Promote rule of law over self interest, Oyo Speaker urges lawyers
- Berlin declares emergency in climate
- Emir of Karaye lauds NMA over contribution to community health
- Nigeria Immigration Service Deputy CG, Anene, retires
- SWAN commends Gov. Abdulrazaq over baseball park renovation
- Germany working on defense system to protect airports from drones
- Buhari calls for multilateral approach to combat terrorism
- NECO: EFCC arrests vice-principal, 2 others over exam malpractice in Ilorin
- No reprieve for Hungary in EU grilling over rule of law concerns
- Without convergence, single currency will be catastrophic – ECOWAS Commission President
- Forgive me, Fayose begs aggrieved PDP members
- $22.7 loan request meant for infrastructure- FG
- A’Ibom 2020 budget: Group says N4bn for education “too paltry”
- Katsina state govt. establishes 5 new irrigation schemes
- Sudan: Al-Bashir questioned over 1989 coup that brought him to power
- FG launches N46.83bn agric. scheme in 9 oil producing states
- Zambia gov’t says ready for talks to abolish death penalty