Embattled Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro has signed a series of agreements with opposition factions after opposition leader Juan Guaido – who was not included – announced that negotiations were dead.
“I welcome the signing of the agreements reached at the dialogue table with the opposition,” Maduro said in a Facebook post in which he shared a five-page document signed by Venezuelan officials and representatives of minor opposition parties.
The signatories did not include Guaido, whom dozens of countries including the U.S. have recognised as Venezuela’s interim president.
On Sunday, more than five weeks after Maduro’s government pulled out of negotiations to seek a way out of Venezuela’s crisis, Guaido said that talks had collapsed.
The government and the opposition, which is seeking the resignation of Maduro, initiated the talks in July.
The negotiations followed a previous round of talks in Oslo in May.
Maduro pulled back a government delegation from the talks in August after accusing the opposition of supporting U.S. sanctions against the country.
Maduro won a second term in elections boycotted by most of the opposition last year. He has overseen an economic collapse and political unrest which have sent millions of Venezuelans fleeing abroad.
(Edited by Emmanuel Yashim)
- Tanker drivers start strike Monday as talks with LASG end in deadlock
- NCDC confirms 437 new COVID-19 case, total of infection hits 46,577
- Apapa will open to traffic in October — LASG
- Halep to decide on United States Open after Prague event
- Gov. Fayemi mourns ex-Ekiti lawmaker, Fakiyesi
- Vettel says Ferrari messed up with nonsensical strategy
- Ekiti Govt paying lip service to healthcare delivery, say striking doctors
- Resumption: Academy wants COVID-19 protocol funds released directly to schools
- Willian confirms exit from Chelsea after 7 years
- Anglican Bishop urges govts to save SMEs from collapse