Connect with us

Judiciary

Man, 25 bags 3 months imprisonment for stealing motorcycle

Published

on

Man, 25, bags 3 months imprisonment for stealing motorcycle
Imprisonment

A Karmo Grade 1 Area Court, Abuja, on Thursday sentenced a 25-year-old man, Shamsudeen Sale, to three months imprisonment for stealing a Baja motorcycle valued at N220,000.
Sale, who is of no fixed address, was arraigned on charges bordering on stealing.
The Judge, Alhaji Inuwa Maiwada, sentenced him after he pleaded guilty to commission of the offence.
However, Maiwada gave the convict an option of payment of N5,000 fine.
He also warned Sale to be of good behaviour and desist from committing crimes after serving his punishment.
Earlier, the Prosecutor Mrs Ijeoma Ukagha, had informed the court that one Adrigili Uloko of Professor Suit Idu Karmo, Abuja, reported the matter at the Karmo Police Station on Jan. 25.
Ukagha told the court that on the same date at about 2pm the convict trespassed into Professor Suit Idu Karmo, Abuja, and stole one Baja motorcycle Valued at N220,000.
She said that luck however ran out of Sale and he was chased, caught and handed over to the police for proper investigation.
The prosecutor said that during police investigation, the convict admitted committing the offence and the motorcycle was recovered from him.
She said the offence contravened Section 287 of the Penal Code.

Sport

Romanian football fan jailed 90 months for attempted murder

Published

on

A Universitatea Cluj fan was sentenced to seven and a half years in prison for trying to kill a police officer during a Romanian first division relegation playoff match last year.

Vidrean Ovidiu Traian was found guilty of attempted murder after he hit the policeman over the head with a seat during the game in June against AFC Hermannstadt at the Cluj Arena.

The attack had left him unconscious and covered in blood.

The incident took place amid clashes between Universitatea supporters and police with fans throwing seats, stones and other objects at the officers.

A large number of home supporters made their way down to the bottom of a stand.

It was to express their fury at what they described as police brutality following a pitch invasion by a Universitatea fan.

Traian was also ordered to pay 18,000 euros (15,794 pounds) in damages, the Cluj court said in a statement.

The ruling is not final and can be appealed.
OLAL

(
Edited By: Olawale Alabi (NAN)
)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Interview: George Floyd death reveals United States’ double standards on human rights, says former Yugoslavian FM

Published

on

By

The death of George Floyd and the United States‘ response to ensuing protests demonstrated double standards in the country’s policies on certain rights it has been insisting on around the world, according to Zivadin Jovanovic, former foreign minister of Yugoslavia.

Jovanovic told Xinhua that the United States‘ respect for human rights is reserved only for those countries on which it wishes to impose domination.

“The rights are acceptable for them only in their objective to dominate globally,” Jovanovic said.

He noted that such policies are rooted “in the theory of their exceptionality and the strategy of hegemonic and global domination.”

The senior Yugoslavian diplomat believes that double standards are the source of many problems in global relations, while obtaining peace, stability and prosperity requires all countries to abandon such practices.

As for the United States itself, Jovanovic said racial discrimination is deeply rooted in the history of the country’s socio-economic and political practice, and that segregation is still visible in the distribution of wealth and availability of health protection.

“The present problem should be treated in much broader contexts and only a systematic approach could deliver the sustainable solution and social stability,” he said.

Moreover, Jovanovic said that the United States’ double standards are also reflected in its disrespect of international conventions and agreements, such as those related to the International Criminal Court, arms control, the UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization and the World Health Organization.

“They accused some countries of interfering in their electoral process, without any proof, but the United States is particularly interfering in the electoral process all over the world by bribing political parties and blackmailing politicians,” he pointed out.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Iran released United States prisoner on “humanitarian purposes”: Iranian ministry

Published

on

By

Iran’s Intelligence Ministry on Saturday said that the recent release of a United States prisoner was solely on humanitarian purposes after deterioration of his health, Tasnim news agency reported.

Michael White, a United States veteran who had entered Iran two years ago, was arrested and convicted of espionage, the managing director of the anti-espionage department at Iran’s Intelligence Ministry was quoted as saying.

White was released on Thursday and was finally expelled from Iran “because of deterioration of his illness and on compassionate grounds” after serving some two years in prison, he said.

Certain United States officials … were seeking to take advantage of a possible death of White due to his chronic disease and fulfill their political objectives,” he said, adding that “the release of American convict prevented the United States from using the opportunity for an ‘inhumane behavior’ against Iran.”

The United States released on Thursday one Iranian scientist, Majid Taheri, who had been in the United States jail for “violating United States sanctions against Iran.”

The Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi said that Iran has always welcomed the “humanitarian efforts that help release of Iranian hostages in the United States and elsewhere.”

However, Secretary of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council on Friday dismissed speculation that the release of Iranian scientists jailed in the United States and Iran‘s move to free White from prison have been the result of negotiations between Tehran and Washington, according to Tasnim news agency.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Merkel allies criticise Trump decision to cut United States troops in Germany

Published

on

Senior lawmakers, from German Chancellor Angela Merkel’s ruling conservative bloc, on Saturday, criticised President Donald Trump’s decision to order the United States military to remove 9,500 troops from Germany.

The move would reduce United States troop’s numbers in Germany to 25,000, from 34,500.

“The plans once again show that the Trump administration is neglecting an elementary leadership task: the involvement of alliance partners in decision-making processes,’’ Johann Wadephul, foreign policy spokesman for the parliamentary group, told Reuters.

All NATO partners benefited from the cohesion of the alliance, and only Russia and China gain from discord, Wadephul said, adding: “This should be given more attention in Washington’’.

Wadephul also spoke of a “further wake-up call” to Europeans to position themselves better in terms of security policy.

The German Foreign Ministry declined to comment.

Andreas Nick, like Wadephul a member of the parliamentary foreign relations committee, told Deutsche Welle the indications were that “the decision was not a technical but a purely politically motivated decision’’.

A United States official, who did not want to be identified, said on Friday the move was the result of months of work by the top United States military officer, General Mark Milley, and had nothing to do with tensions between Trump and Merkel, who thwarted Trump’s plan to host a G7 meeting this month.

The withdrawal, first reported by the Wall Street Journal, is the latest twist in relations between Berlin and Washington, which have often been strained during Trump’s presidency.

Trump has pressed Germany to raise defence spending and accused Berlin of being a “captive” of Russia due to its energy reliance.

AIB

Edited By: Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Ethiopian expert says Africa can learn from Chinese pandemic management system

Published

on

By

China is an able and willing partner of Africa and countries in the African continent can learn from the Chinese development and pandemic management system, an Ethiopian expert said on Saturday.

Costantinos Bt. Costantinos, who served as an economic advisor to the African Union and the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, noted that the African continent currently accounts for a small fraction of the infections globally.

However, Costantinos told Xinhua that “African countries have taken a disproportionate hit due to plummeting oil and commodity prices and weaker currencies, which ramp-up external debt servicing costs.”

Costantinos, also professor of public policy at the Addis Ababa University in Ethiopia, stressed that China is probably the only nation that can address the challenges faced by the global South in improving economic governance and curtailing corruption.

According to the latest figures from the Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC), the number of confirmed COVID-19 positive cases across the African continent had surpassed 171,206, as the death toll from the pandemic surged to 4,766.

The continental disease control and prevention agency, which noted that the virus has so far spread into 54 African countries, also disclosed that more than 75,083 people who had been infected with COVID-19 had recovered across the continent so far.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

108-year-old Italian woman in nursing home recovers from COVID-19

Published

on

Fatima Negrini, a 108-year-old woman from northern Italy, has joined the ranks of the very few centenarians who have recovered from COVID-19.

“God forgot about me,” Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera quoted Negrini as saying in its Saturday edition, reporting that the woman turned 108 on Wednesday.

The paper published a picture of the wheelchair-bound Negrini in front of a chocolate and cream cake, flanked by a carer with a giant heart-shaped birthday card.

The card said, “Fatima 108 We Love You!!! S. Faustino.”

Negrini has been a resident for many years of the Anni Azzurri San Faustino nursing home in Milan, a spokesman for the facility told dpa.

She caught the novel coronavirus in April and tested negative in mid-May, and was “always” an asymptomatic COVID-19 patient, he added.

According to Corriere, Negrini has three sons aged 89, 88, and 78, four grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.

Italy is one of the countries worst hit by the novel coronavirus, and the impact of the pandemic has been particularly hard on nursing homes in Milan’s Lombardy region.

On Friday, the Italian Civil Protection agency reported 33,774 fatalities, the world’s fourth-highest death toll after the United States, Britain, and Brazil.

In Negrini’s nursing home, several residents died. “Fatima hasn’t realized yet who is no longer around,” Laura Catena, the assistant in the birthday picture, told Corriere.

The San Faustino facility is part of the KOS group, an Italian private healthcare operator which last year bought German nursing home group Charleston.

Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Malians rally against President Keita, demand his resignation

Published

on

Thousands of Malians staged a protest in Bamako on Friday to demand resignation of President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita over what they described as his mishandling of many crises plaguing the country.

Keita, re-elected in 2018 for a second five-year term, is struggling with a years-long security crisis in northern Mali, an outbreak of the new coronavirus and political tensions arising from a disputed legislative election in March.

Various political groups and human rights activists helped organise Friday’s demonstration, which had the backing of influential Muslim cleric Mahmoud Dicko.

“I’m here today to tell President IBK (the widely used initials of Keita’s names) that he is incompetent and that he cannot govern this country… He should resign,” Moussa Traore, an unemployed man in his 30s, told Reuters.

Some protesters brandished placards that read “IBK must go” and “No to bad governance”.

Police declined to give an estimate of the number of protesters, but the United States Embassy in Mali said on its Twitter account that approximately 20,000 people had gathered at Bamako’s Independence Monument at the start of the rally.

“The crisis in the north has worsened and spread to the centre of the country.

“There is no security, no jobs,” said Ben Adama Diarra, 33, a spokesman for one of the rally organisers.

“Everyday we record deaths (from the violence and COVID-19). Mali is becoming a large cemetery,” he added.

The Sahel nation, which has a population of around 19 million, has so far reported 1,485 cases of COVID-19, the lung disease caused by the new coronavirus, and 87 deaths.

Mali, which produces gold and cotton, has struggled to find stability since 2012 when jihadist fighters hijacked an insurrection by Tuareg separatists, seizing the entire desert north of the country.

French troops helped to recapture the north but violence persists, in spite of the presence of thousands of United Nations troops, with groups linked to al Qaeda and Islamic State stoking inter-communal tensions.


Edited By: Emmanuel Okara/Emmanuel Yashim (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

People perform Friday prayer with COVID-19 prevention measures in Amman, Jordan

Published

on

By

People keep social distance as they perform Friday prayer in a mosque in Amman, Jordan, on June 5, 2020. Jordan registered 19 more infections on Friday, bringing the total coronavirus cases in the kingdom to 784, including nine deaths and 571 recoveries. (Photo by Mohammad Abu Ghosh/Xinhua)

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Full moon seen in Manila, the Philippines

Published

on

By

A full moon is seen in Manila, the Philippines, on June 5, 2020. (Xinhua/Rouelle Umali)

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

Read Also