One 25-year-old Vincent James, who allegedly assaulted a police officer by slapping and punching him, on Friday appeared before an Ogudu Magistrates’ Court, Lagos State.
James is facing a two-count charge of assault but he pleaded not guilty.
The Prosecutor, Insp. Lucky Ihiehie, told the court that the defendant committed the offences on Aug. 23 at 5.20p.m. at the Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos.
Ihiehie said that the defendant pushed Insp. Joseph Issac and slapped him.
He said that the defendant assaulted the inspector attached to the Ifako Police Station, Lagos State, while performing his lawful duties.
“The defendant attacked the complainant by punching and beating him with a stick, belt and some other objects he could lay his hands on, thereby injuring him,” he said.
Ihiehie said the defendant also attacked one Mr Mohammed Alli, who came to the policeman’s rescue, by slapping and punching him.
According to the Prosecutor, the offences contravene Sections 117(2) and 174(b) of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
The Magistrate, Mrs Ejiro Kubeinje, granted the defendant bail in the sum of N50, 000 with two sureties in like sum.
Kubeinje adjourned the case until Sept. 25 for mention.
- Devastated Sarri says he can’t be judged on basis of one match
- American golfer disqualified from PGA Championship after scoring error
- Ronaldinho inches closer to release from Paraguayan ordeal
- Edo polls: U.S expresses worry over deteriorating political climate, security interference
- 2020: China interfering against Trump, Russia against Biden — report
- NOSDRA, Agip investigate oil leak at Azuzuama, Bayelsa
- Environmental group urges African governments to rise against COVID-19, Climate and Health crises
- Police arrest suspects for criminal offenses, kill 1 in Niger
- Chelsea’s Kante ruled fit against Bayern-Lampard
- Gattuso says his Napoli are not just about grit and growls