A 28-year-old man, Rasheed Lawal, was on Tuesday brought before an Ebute Meta Chief Magistrates’ Court in Lagos for allegedly assaulting three men and stealing properties worth N300,000 from them.
Lawal, whose address was not provided in court, is facing a three-count charge of conspiracy, assault occasioning harm and stealing.
He, however, pleaded not guilty to the charges.
The Prosecutor, Insp. Mariam Dauda, told the court that the defendant committed the offences on Sept. 4, at 10 p.m. on Shobodu St., Iganmu area of Lagos.
Dauda said that the defendant, along with his accomplice who is still at large, assaulted the complainants; Mr Obafemi Awobajo, Mr Benjamin Okafor and Mr Ndubuisi Okeke.
She said that Lawal stole a wristwatch valued at N25,000, a wallet which contained cash of N25,000 and a HP laptop valued at N250,000; all valued at N300,000 from the three victims.
The offences contravened Sections 411, 173 and 287 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015(Revised).
The Nigeria News Agency reports that Sections 287 and 173 both stipulates a three-year jail term each for the offences of assault occasioning harm and stealing, while Section 411 carries two years imprisonment for conspiracy.
The Chief Magistrate, Mrs A.O. Ajibade, granted the defendant bail in the sum of N50,000 with two sureties in like sum.
She said that the sureties must reside within the court’s jurisdiction and be gainfully employed, with addresses verified by the court.
Ajibade adjourned the case to Oct. 2 for mention.
Edited by Nick Nicholas/Muhammad Suleiman Tola
- Boxing: NIDCOM boss, Dabiri-Erewa applauds Joshua’s victory over Ruiz Jr.
- Christmas: We are capable of meeting demands- Nasarawa Rice Millers
- Cleric urges Christians to live exemplary lives
- Nutrition Survey will lead to improved quality healthcare – Experts
- RIFAN urges FG to sustain border closure
- Fireboy DML debuts best album to close 2019
- Style Review: the return of pleated skirts
- National Public Safety Security System: Police Affairs Ministry sets up committee for smooth take-off
- Expert urges FG to sensitise Nigerians on $29.96bn foreign loan
- ‘Muna’ suggests new career angle for Adesua Etomi-Wellington
- BASA will strengthen cultural ties, deepen unity amongst personnel – CAS
- Nigeria on cause to raise Olympic champions in gymnastic – Coach Asuquo
- FG to introduce new visa regime to boost economy
- Expo 2020 in Dubai: What Benefits to Africa?
- Boxing: I’m happy Joshua won back his respect, says Isaac Ikhouria
- Boxing: Joshua takes revenge on Ruiz in Saudi Arabia rematch
- Buhari salutes Anthony Joshua on comeback victory
- DSS says Sowore’s rearrest video, mischief, meant for propagandist purpose
- NGO wants HIV test as component of routine ante natal care
- FG assures qualified teachers of good welfare, incentives
- Buhari mourns Evangelist Reinhard Bonnke
- Salome Abuh, PDP woman leader burnt to death, buried amid tears
- NAN correspondent gets accolades for sponsoring soccer tournament
- ECOWAS Presidents to meet on single currency regime Dec. 21
- FGGC Yola old students seek unity among children
- FEATURE: Gender-Based Violence: Do men suffer same?
- Nasarawa grassroots sports: Ezhiba defeat Alashe in competition organised by NAN Correspondent
- SWOFON commends women farmers’ successes in spite of challenges
- New Ondo IPAC chairman promises to build trust among members
- Education remains potent weapon to reduce unemployment -Buhari
- LG poll: ADSIEC Chairman expresses concern over low turnout of voters
- Experts outline ways to fund Nigeria’s infrastructure deficit through capital market
- Minister tasks Nigerians on regular exercise for healthy living
- Nollywood: Audition for ‘A Call to Service’, pro-NYSC scheme movie debuts in FCT
- Tallen gives N250, 000 cash prize to best UniJos graduating female students, to support 200 indigent ones with N4m
- Christmas: Enugu residents opt for de-stoned local rice as price of imported variant soars
- Xmas : SWAN donates cloths, food, celebrates with orphans
- Fair approach to governance sure guarantee for democratic stability – Gov. Tambuwal
- Ex-Chief of Army staff urges women, girls to acquire skills
- 981 Kogi teachers write professional exam
- Lagos-Ibadan rail project: NASS Joint C’ttee inspects, expresses satisfaction
- Provost hails Buhari for support to Ebonyi Federal Agric College
- NAN Correspondent organises unity football competition to boost unity in Nasarawa state
- Buhari condoles with UAE president over brother’s death
- Nigeria retains 95,000 slots for pilgrims in 2020 hajj – NAHCON
- NGO treks 3km to create awareness against sexual violence, women trafficking
- Residents of Ajeromi-Ifelodun LGA commend Nigeria Navy, Pakistan Navy medical collaboration
- Ajanaku, a great politician, democrat – Buhari
- Ekiti LG poll witnesses low turnout
- Buratai inaugurates multi-million Naira projects in Depot, NMS