Ikeja, June 10, 2019 A 33-year-old businessman , Abdulahi Abubakar, on Monday appeared before an Ikeja Chief Magistrate’s Court, over alleged sale of a fake necklace for N650,000.
Abubakar is facing a three-count charge of conspiracy, fraud and stealing, to which he pleaded not guilty.
The prosecutor, ASP Benson Emuerhi, told the court that the defendant committed the offences with some other persons still at large on July 17, 2018, on Albati Street, Idi Araba, Lagos State.
Emuerhi said that the defendant sold the fake necklace, which he claimed was gold, to the complainant, Mr Tijani Jubril,
He said that the defendant fraudulently collected the N650, 000 from the complainant knowing that the necklace was fake.
“The defendant, under false pretences, defrauded Jubril; he fraudulently obtained N650, 000 on the pretext of selling a gold necklace to him,” he submitted.
Emuerhi said that the defendant was apprehended after the complainant reported the case to the police.
According to the prosecutor, the offences contravenes Sections 287, 314 and 411 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Section 287 provides for a three-year jail term stealing.
The Chief Magistrate, Mrs Olufunke Sule-Amzat, granted the defendant bail in the sum of N50, 000 bail with two sureties in like sum.
Sule-Amzat ordered that the sureties must be gainfully employed and have evidence of tax payment to the Lagos State Government.
She adjourned the case until July 29 for mention.
- Nigeria records zero death, 453 new cases of COVID-19
- Int’l Youth Day, Ooni wants Big Brother 9ija show replaced
- Atalanta’s dream ends with cruel late double strike from PSG
- Buhari mourns ‘Old Friend of Nigeria’, Walter Carrington
- FG to `punish’ States, LGAs over double taxation in mining sector – Minister
- Insecurity: Gov. Sule reiterates commitment to supporting security agencies
- CMD Lafia Specialist Hospital tasks NUJ on Health Insurance
- Ahead Councils polls, Bauchi govt dissolves LGA executives
- Insecurity : Monarch lauds Buhari for inaugurating Police training college in Nasarawa
- Banditry: Sokoto Assembly calls for reinforcement of security in Illela LGA