Connect with us

Judiciary

Man, 37, dragged to court over alleged encroachment on land

Published

on

Land

Kaduna, July 8,2019 ( NAN) A 37-year-old man, Yusuf Mallam, on Monday appeared before the Sharia Court l sitting at Magajin Gari in Kaduna for allegedly erecting a building on a parcel of land belonging to one Haruna Jibril.

The complainant, Haruna Jibril, told the court that he had bought a parcel of land at Nariya area of Kaduna and had already commenced erecting a building on it.

 

He said that he later discovered that Mallam had erected another building on his land.

“I want this court to intervene in this matter and compel the defendant to leave my land”, he said.

In his defence, Mallam who resides at Unguwan Muazu area of Kaduna denied the allegations leveled against him saying they were untrue.

Mallam said that he and his siblings inherited the land and had shared it among themselves.

 

The defendant added that he was surprised to see someone building on it.

“I reported the matter to the traditional leader of the area, Mallam Sani Bello, who said he knew the person building on the land.

 

“He told me that the person had bought a piece of land from him long time ago but failed to pay the balance.

 

 

“The traditional head said that it was because of that reason that made him sell the land to another person.’’

 

The defendant said that the traditional leader told him that he only showed the land to the complainant but did not give him any permission to build on it.

 

The defendant told the court that this was because the complainant had not concluded negotiations with the defendant’s family.

 

Mallam  prayed the court to intervene in the matter and ensured that justice prevails.

Sport

Union Berlin complete permanent move for on-loan Buelter

Published

on

Union Berlin have exercised their right to secure on-loan winger Marius Buelter on a permanent basis, the Bundesliga club said on Monday.

The 27-year-old Buelter has played the season on loan from third tier Magdeburg and will remain for next year, regardless of whether or not Union survive in the top flight.

“The step to Union (Berlin) last summer was exactly the right one,” Buelter told the club website.

“For me personally it’s been an unbelievable first Bundesliga year in which I’ve collected many new experiences and played my part in a good campaign until now.”

Buelter’s seven goals in 28 matches make him Union Berlin’s second top scorer this season.

They are 14th, four points clear of the relegation play-off place, but are winless in six games.

Union Berlin were hammered 4-1 at Borussia Moenchengladbach on Sunday and host Schalke 04 next weekend, where they will be without Norwegian full-back Julian Ryerson.

Ryerson has been ruled out for the season after injuring his knee at Gladbach just 40 seconds after coming off the bench.
OLAL

(
Edited By: Olawale Alabi (NAN)
)

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Court remands security man for alleged defilement of a 9-year-old girl

Published

on

An Upper Area Court in Gwagwalada, FCT, on Monday ordered that a security man, Gideon Sunday who allegedly defiled a nine-year-old girl be remanded in police custody.

The police charged Sunday with one count charge of procuration of a minor.

The Judge, Sani Umar granted the application made by the prosecuting counsel, Akaso Sunday not to grant bail to the defendant.

Umar ordered that the defendant be remanded under police custody for one week.

Earlier, the prosecution counsel, Sunday told the court that on May 12, 2020 one Grace Abitayo reported the case at the police station.

He said that the defendant on May 6 2020 took the girl to his room and have carnal knowledge of her.

He added that during police investigation the defendant confessed to have committed the offence.

He prayed the court not to grant bail to the defendant, saying that the offence was not bailable.

He said that if granted bail the defendant would jump bail and would also jeopardise ongoing investigation, adding that the court should refuse him bail.

The offence, he said, contravened the provision of sections 275 of the Penal Code.

The defendant however pleaded not guilty.

Edited By: Sadiya Hamza (NAN)

Continue Reading

Politics

Benue LG polls: PDP Chairman says party’s victory not a surprise

Published

on

The Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Benue, Mr John Ngbede, said the party’s overwhelming victory at the council polls on May 30 didn’t come to him as a surprise.

Ngbede disclosed this in an interview with newsmen on Monday in Makurdi.

News Agency of Nigeria reports that PDP swept all the elective positions during the Saturday polls.

The party won 23 Chairmanship positions out of 23. Also, it won 276 Councillorship positions out of 276.

The chairman noted that the party deserved the landslide victory because it worked assiduously for it, which manifested on Saturday.

“We campaigned seriously without relenting. No political party in the state campaigned apart from PDP.

“We followed all the processes of election beginning with the congresses.

“Some political parties did not buy forms. Even the ones that bought forms they did not campaign at all. So, what did they expect,” he queried.

He also said that Benue residents voted massively for the party 8because Gov. Samuel Ortom was performing wonders for the state.

“The milestones recorded by the governor went a long way in winning votes for the party.

“He has completed a lot of projects which were started by his predecessor.

“He also initiated new ones and some of them have been completed while others are on the verge of completion and others ongoing,” Ngbede said.


Edited By: Abiemwense Moru and Abdullahi Yusuf (NAN)

 

Continue Reading

Foreign

COVID-19 lockdown restrictions eased in Manila, the Philippines

Published

on

By

THE PHILIPPINES-MANILA-COVID-19-LOCKDOWN-EASING” src=”https://nnn.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/139105620_15910147126991n.jpg” sourcedescription=”网上抓取的文件” sourcename=”本地文件”>

Continue Reading

Foreign

Iran ready to send more fuel to Venezuela: spokesman

Published

on

By

Iran is ready to send more fuel shipments to Venezuela if there is a request, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi said on Monday.

Mousavi slammed United States attempts to block Iran’s trade with other countries, saying that “if Venezuela makes a new request for (fuel) delivery, more shipments will be sent.”

“It is Iran’s natural right to defend its (economic) interests even in faraway places,” Mousavi said in his weekly press conference.

Last months, five Iranian oil fuel tankers arrived at Venezuela shores.

Washington has threatened to take action against the Venezuela-bound fuel tankers, including blacklisting the crew and the tankers.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Alleged cheating: Court grants businessman N800,000 bail

Published

on

An Upper Area Court in Gwagwalada, FCT, on Monday, admitted a businessman, Awwal Nasir, to bail in the sum of N800,000 bail for criminal breach of trust, pending report of settlement.

The Judge, Sani Umar, admitted Nasir after he pleaded guilty to the two counts of  breach of trust and cheating preferred against him.

Umar ordered the defendant to produce one reasonable and reliable surety in like sum.

Umar ordered that if the defendant failed to meet the bail conditions, he would  be remanded in police custody.

He adjourned the matter until  July 1, for hearing and report of settlement.

 

Earlier, Nasir said:” I know am owing him and I promise to pay him. I collected the power bike but was not able to pay at the agreed time because I had an accident and was hospitalised for months.

Mr I.A. Aliyu, the Prosecution Counsel, Sadiq Yuguda , told the court that sometime in November 2019,the complainant  sold a Suzuki power bike at the agreed sum of N750,000 to the defendant.

He said that based on the understanding between the two parties the defendant was allowed to test-drive the motorcycle to confirm if it was in good condition at the time of sale.

Aliyu said that the defendant informed the complainant that he had no money to pay but would go home and source for money and come back to pay that same day.

He added that upon the intervention of a mutual friend of both parties, the defendant was allowed to go with the motorcycle without paying the agreed amount.

The prosecution counsel said that the defendant failed to pay the complainant.

The offence, he said, contravened the provisions of sections 312 and 322 of the Penal Code.


Edited By: Bayo Sekoni/Sadiya Hamza (NAN)

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Alleged incest: Court remands man pending bail application

Published

on

A Wuse Zone II Magistrates’ Court on Monday ordered that a 46-year-old man, Obed Jika, who allegedly defiled his 16-year-old sister in-law be remanded in police custody.

Chief Magistrate Idayat Akanni, ordered that he be remanded in police custody, pending bail application.

Akanni adjourned the matter until June 3.

The police charged Jika, who resides in Apo, Abuja,with two counts of incest and criminal intimidation.

Earlier, the Prosecution Counsel, Stanley Nwafoaku told the court that Mr Dodo Bitrus of NSCDC, Kagarko Division, Kaduna State, reported the matter at the Apo police station, Abuja on May 21.

Nwafoaku allege that Jika defiled the teenager who is an orphan.

He alleged that the defendant who had accommodated and cared for the victim in the last six years has been sexually harassing her.

Nwafoaku further alleged that the defendant also threatened to kill the teenager, if she exposes their affair, but she however spoke up when she had an opportunity to visit her family.

The Prosecutor said the offence contravenes sections 390 and 397 of the Penal Code Law.

The defendant however, pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Mr Richard Adedoyin, counsel to the defendant prayed the court to grant bail to his client citing sections 35(4) and 36(5) of the  1999 Cconstitution and sections 158 and 165(2) of the Administrative Criminal Justice Act 2015.

The defence counsel also said the defendant will not jump bail nor intimidate the witnesses in or any further investigation in the case, if granted bail.

The prosecutor, however, objected the bail application made by the defence counsel and prayed the court to look at the nature of the offence which involves threat to the life of the victim.

“The defendant had threatened the life of the teenager if she exposes him; I thereby pray that the court remand the defendant as he could jeopardise further investigation.

Adedoyin counsel to the defendant, in reply to the prosecutor, opposed his prayers and urged the court to use its discretion to grant bail in favour of the defendant.

According to him, “the defendant is a family man, breadwinner of his family and has been on police administrative bail.

“I also urge the court to consider the on-going COVID-19 pandemic and the safety of the defendant, as an accused person is presumed innocent until proven guilty, ’the counsel stated.

Edited By: Sadiya Hamza (NAN)

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Coronavirus can cause drug abuse – NDLEA Spokesman

Published

on

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), has said that Coronavirus could cause or trigger the abuse of drugs and illicit substances.

 

Head of Public affairs, NDLEA, Mr Jonah Achema, said this in an interview with News Agency of Nigeria on Monday in Abuja.

 

Achema said that some people had taken to self medication of Coronavirus by treating themselves in the house without getting to see a doctor.

 

According to him, with the kind of concoctions we have been hearing as therapy for Coronavirus, it gives us an idea and impression of addiction already.

 

“This means that after the pandemic a lot of people are going to get hooked and become addicted to those drugs that affect the central systems.

 

“Well, Coronavirus may appear to be new development but some of the symptoms are within us and are evidentially caused by drug abuse.

 

“Considering that some drugs people take such as caffeine and nicotine impact negatively on the lungs, liver and the kidney.

 

“We know what nicotine does but what is becoming worrisome is that Coronavirus can amplify drug abuse because of the self medications by people,” he said.

 

Achema said that there were people who would want to take preventive measures without following any necessary medical protocol or treatment.

 

He also said that some people after noticing symptoms would start to take measures to avert or cure with no recourse to medical protocols.

 

“And by so doing they take all manner of drugs without following prescription or dosage.

 

“We have heard of bitter kola, we have heard of ginger, lemon and all manner of substances and you know when you combine these things there will be trouble.

 

“Ordinarily or independently they may not be harmful. But the combination, the volume and the quantum can cause more harm than good.

 

“Even ordinary fruit, we may think it is not harmful, but when you take too much it may impact negatively on your health.

 

“Too much of everything they say is bad, ” he said.

 

The NDLEA spokesperson said that the agency had joined hands with other stakeholders in creating awareness, provide security and enforcement of law in fighting the pandemic.

 

He noted that NDLEA functioned within a standing committee in various states in collaboration with other security agencies and stakeholders.

 

“Fighting Coronavirus is not within the mandate of the agency but as responsible agency, within our own staff, we spread the gospel of improve personal hygiene, hand washing and distancing oneself.

 

“We operate within the frame work of responsible organisation, collaboration and spreading the awareness.

 

“And we also try to let people know seeming symbiotic relationship between Coronavirus and drug abuse, ” he said.

 

Achema appealed to the public to follow the rules and guidelines from the NCDC to help fight the scourge bedeviling the country and the entire globe.

 

He urged the people who might have seen the symptoms to visit the testing centres to avoid the spread of the virus, adding that fighting Coronavirus was a collective effort.

 

He reiterated the agency’s commitment at providing more awareness and measures in the fight against drug abuse in the country.


Edited By: Chinyere Bassey/Donald Ugwu (NAN)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Continue Reading

Sport

Manchester United extend Ighalo loan until January 2021

Published

on

Manchester United have extended striker Odion Ighalo’s loan from Shanghai Shenhua until the end of January 2021, the Premier League club said on Monday.

The 30-year-old made an impressive start to life at United, scoring four times in eight games after signing an initial loan deal until May 31 from the Chinese Super League club.

Ighalo’s current deal with Shanghai runs out in December 2022 and he is expected to sign a new contract until the end of 2024, Sky reported.

The Nigerian, who has scored two goals apiece for Man United in the Europa League and FA Cup, will hope to open his account in the Premier League when the season, suspended since March due to the COVID-19 pandemic, resumes on June 17.



Edited By: Chinyere Bassey (NAN)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

Read Also