Lagos, March 12, 2019 The police in Lagos on Tuesday arraigned a 20-year-old man, Prosper Okeke, who allegedly stole N80, 000 from a bread seller and spent all on betting game and lost.
Okeke, who lives at No 1, Samuel St., Ogudu, is facing a count charge of stealing, but he pleaded not guilty.
According to the Prosecutor, Insp. Lucky Ihiehie, Okeke stole the money kept under the bed by Mrs Pricilla Kanu, on Feb. 28, at No. 45, Gafari St., Ogudu.
“The complainant (Kanu) said that the defendant entered her room on Feb. 28 and stole the money which she kept under her bed.
“When she came back from her shop on that day she discovered that the money she kept in her handbag under her bed wasn’t there anymore.
“She raised alarm, and her daughter told her that Okeke came to their house to see her son.
“On March 4, she traced Okeke to his workplace and he confessed to have taken the money and used all of it to play a betting game in which he lost,’’ he submitted.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that stealing contravenes Section 287 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015, and is punishable with three years’ jail term.
Substantive hearing in the case will start on April 8.
- Angola extends deadline of Port of Luanda terminal international tender
- Taiwan decriminalises adultery in human rights milestone
- Japan’s factory output drops to 7-year low in April due to virus outbreak
- Ex-commissioner lauds Gov. Umahi’s achievements in Ebonyi
- Niger govt. inaugurates community policing advisory committee
- Court sentences Czech man to 26 months in prison for stealing pancakes during lockdown
- Democracy Day: Group tasks FG on security
- Volkswagen to invest €2bn in Chinese electric vehicle market
- 17 suspected sea pirates nabbed in Rivers
- UEFA likely to fast-track competitions in one venue, Getafe president says
- Ethiopian security forces committed 39 extrajudicial killings- Amnesty
- Senate President appoints Fema Special Assistant on Sports Development
- Ondo Assembly calls for review of oil palm company policies
- Malaysia reports 103 new COVID-19 cases, 7,732 in total
- COVID-19: C/River govt. seeks financial support from FG, others
- Spain to relax restrictions from Monday
- India hits record 7,466 cases daily virus infections, Official says
- S. African gov’t unveils guidelines for religious gatherings amid pandemic
- S.Africa to open up economy from June under eased lockdown regulations
- Indian PM meets home minister as 4th phase of COVID-19 lockdown nears completion