A 31-year-old man, Joe Sunday was, on Wednesday, arraigned before an Ado-Ekiti Chief Magistrates’ Court for allegedly raping a 12-year-old girl.
Sunday, whose address was not given, is facing a one-count charge of rape.
The prosecutor, Insp. Oriyomi Akinwale, told the court that the defendant committed the offence on March 30 in Ado-Ekiti.
He alleged that the defendant raped a 12-year-old girl, who is his neighbour’s daughter.
Oriyomi the court that whenever the defendant noticed that the victim’s parent are not around, he seized the opportunity to commit the crime.
According to him, the offence contravened Section 31(2) of the Child’s Right Law of Ekiti State, 2012.
He told the court that the duplicate copy of the case file has been sent to the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) office for legal advice.
The plea of the defendant was not taken.
The Chief Magistrate, Mrs Olanike Adegoke, ordered that the defendant be kept in police custody pending issuance of legal advice.
Adegoke adjourned the case until April 22 for mention.
Edited By: Remi Koleoso/Abdulfatah Babatunde
- Six militants killed in southern Somalia
- Zimbabwe reports 7 new COVID-19 cases as tally rises to 63
- India’s COVID-19 cases cross 150,000 mark as pandemic continues to rattle Asia-Pacific region
- Palestine warns Israeli annexation would extend all over West Bank
- Aregbesola’s ‘Opon Imo’ tablet still relevant in COVID-19 era – UK-based don
- NGO donates nose masks, books to children in Plateau
- Gov. Lalong felicitates with Amaechi @55
- Afghanistan registers 625 new COVID-19 positive cases
- May 27: Senate President celebrates Nigerian children
- Interview: Wharton dean calls for stronger world leadership as COVID-19 slows globalization
- Ebonyi Assemblyman confident police will find brother’s killers
- COVID-19: Health professionals embark on street, market sensitisation in A’Ibom
- Belgium registers 137 new infections, 36 new deaths
- COVID-19 cases in Palestine rise to 613
- FG to inaugurate 200,000 capacity yam storage facility in Benue on June 9
- France GDP likely to contract by 20 pct in Q2, says national statistics bureau
- COVID-19 accelerates digital transformation of African agriculture value chains
- Alleged N570m fraud: Absence of EFCC’s counsel stalls Oyo-Ita’s trial
- Children’s Day: Don seeks more funds for public education
- Expert tasks landscape architects on appropriate horticultural practice