A Federal High Court siting in Ibadan on Wednesday sentenced an Ibadan based Yahoo boy, Kadir Babajide-Adebimpe, to four months in prison over impersonation, deception and fraud.
Justice P.I. Ajoku said that she convicted Babajide-Adebimpe based on the evidence before her and the plea bargain agreement he entered with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
“In line with the plea bargain agreement between the convict and the EFCC, Babajide-Adebimpe is sentenced to four months in prison.
“It is my belief that the sentence will serve as deterrence to others with similar intention.
“All the exhibits found in his possession are forfeited to the Federal Government of Nigeria,” Ajoku said.
Earlier, Mr O.A. Owoduni, counsel to the EFCC, Ibadan zonal office said that the convict was facing a one-count charge bordering on impersonation.
Owoduni added that Babajide-Adebimpe committed the crime on Feb. 26, in Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria.
According to the prosecutor, the convict presented himself, using a fake name; Angel and operating a fake e-mail address to defraud unsuspecting foreigners.
Owoduni further stated that items such as US $400, two smart mobile phones and many documents of the foreigners he had defrauded were confiscated from him.
The prosecution said that the offence contravened Section 1 (1) (A) of Advanced Free Fraud and other related Offences Act 2006.
The News Agency of Nigeria , reports that the Act prescribes seven years imprisonment for anyone convicted.
- Sylva, NNPC staff, others pay tribute to ex-GMD of NNPC Baru
- COVID-19: Enugu govt. decontaminates Ogbete Main Market
- COVID-19: NCAC, NANTA advocate collaborations for tourism sector recovery
- Lagos govt. unfolds strategies toward resilient city evolution
- NiMet predicts cloudy, thundery weather activities, May 31 – June 2
- President Buhari loses nephew Ibrahim Dauda
- Iran condemns U.S. revoke of nuke-related sanctions waivers
- COVID-19 cases in Israel surpass 17,000
- Veterinary doctors donate items to Ondo Govt to fight COVID-19
- LASG to decamp Abule-Egba pipeline explosion victims from Igando relief camp
- Resident Doctors issue 14-day strike notice to FG
- Buratai inspects local construction of combat vehicles in Maiduguri
- COVID-19 mortality rises to 50 in Lagos
- U.S. Minnesota activates “full mobilization” of state’s National Guard to stem riots over Floyd’s death
- Plateau NANNM calls off ‘sit-at-home’ protest for members in JUTH Isolation center
- Spain’s coronavirus death toll rises by 4 to 27,125
- Spotlight: From waste into eco-friendly products, Gazan youths think big
- Covid-19: 4-month-old child discharged in Kaduna
- Interview: California avocado trade group sees opportunity, competition in China market
- Northern governors mourn former NNPC boss