Liverpool ended their 30-year wait for a top-flight title when last season’s champions City were beaten 2-1 by Chelsea last week, handing the Merseyside club an unassailable 23-point lead at the top of the table.
Liverpool’s first match since being confirmed as champions is at City’s stadium and Guardiola said his players would pay tribute to Juergen Klopp’s title-winning side.
“We are going to do the guard of honour of course,” Guardiola said. “We will greet Liverpool when they come to our house, in an incredible way. We are going to do it because they deserve it.”
The 49-year-old added that he was already looking forward to helping City come back stronger next season.“
In sport, you have to live in the future,” Guardiola said.
“Never can you have one-eye on what you have done. Never forget that we are an incredible club and organisation, and what you have to do is learn.
“I think we know the reason why we suffered this season and we are going to try to solve it for next season,” he said.
Edited By: Emmanuel Okara/ (NAN)
Manchester City aren’t the only big spenders —- Guardiola
The court overturned the club’s two-year European ban.
But the club’s manager was in a fiery mood as he railed against the idea that cash was behind the club’s two Premier League titles.
For the Spaniard, who won back-to-back titles in 2018 and 2019, Manchester City are by no means unusual when it comes to spending big on players.
Guardiola, whose side are still fighting this season for their first UEFA Champions League title, said Manchester United and Arsenal had also invested heavily to win previous Premier League titles.
“When Chelsea start (started) to win Premier Leagues, they (had) invested more money than the other ones,” he told reporters.
“I’m a good manager, but I don’t win titles if I don’t have good players and good players are expensive. But all the clubs spend a lot of money.”
Manchester City have spent more than a billion pounds on acquiring players since the club was bought by Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan in 2008.
Guardiola took over the team in 2016 and has spent heavily in the transfer market, including nine players who cost more than 45 million pounds (56.46 million dollars) each.
“We can spend as much money as our chairman or our owners want, but always, always in the Financial Fair Play rules and we show it, we were there.
“We were exonerated for something we were accused of, all the time. That is the reality,” said Guardiola.
“When we won, it was on the pitch. All the good things we have done, all the bad things we have done it was on the pitch, in the grass, in the green, there,” he said.
Guardiola pointed out that neighbours Manchester United outbid them to sign Alexis Sanchez from Arsenal and Harry Maguire from Leicester City and highlighted big-spending from other eras.
The former FC Barcelona manager said the pressure of the UEFA investigation had brought him closer to Manchester City.
“I love this club. I love, because I know the people here and I’m working (with them) for a long time. We have our history.
“I don’t know if it’s better or worse, it doesn’t matter, it’s our history. I love it,” he said.
Edited By: Olawale Alabi) (NAN)
Sports Minister congratulates UFC Champion, Usman
The Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Sunday Dare, on Tuesday lauded Nigerian-born pugilist Kamarudeen Usman for retaining his Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Welterweight belt against Jorge Masvidal.
Dare said, in a statement on Tuesday, that Usman’s win was not only inspiring, but a confirmation of the Nigerian never-say-die spirit.
“A big congratulations to Usman for making Nigeria proud by retaining his Ultimate Fighting Championship title against Jorge Masvidal.
“His tenacity, courage and consistency is typical of the Nigerian spirit of never giving up. He is not only a worthy champion, but a great Nigerian in whom we are all proud.
“Once again, he has shown that he is not just a patriot, but an embodiment of a great athlete who has projected the image of our dear country before the whole world positively.
“You are indeed a great Ambassador of Nigeria,” the minister said.
Usman retained his title via unanimous decision in Abu Dhabi on Sunday.
The fight was almost called off due to a disagreement over pay because Masvidal was named as a last minute replacement to earlier challenger Gilbert Burns who pulled out after he tested positive to COVID-19.
The feat is Usman’s 11th successful win in 3 title defence in the United Arab Emirate.
Usman earned 600,000 dollars appearance fee and 40,000 dollars as incentives, while his challenger got 500,000 dollars
The Nigerian Nightmare has won 16 of his last 17 fights, losing only to Jose Caseres in 2013.
Edited By: Joe Idika/Felix Ajide (NAN)
Lagos SWAN mourns former Vice Chairman, Ukaigwe
The Lagos SWAN Chairman, Debo Oshundun, in a statement on Tuesday, said that the news of her death came as a rude shock.
“Henrietta was dear to Lagos SWAN. She gave her all to the association while she was the association’s treasurer and vice chairman.
“She made her mark in sports reporting and was one of those that made the chapter the most vibrant in the country. The history of Lagos SWAN won’t be complete without mentioning this wonderful lady.
“Sports journalism will miss ‘Worldwide’ as she is fondly called by friends and her colleagues,” he said.
The Lagos SWAN boss prayed God to grant the family the fortitude to bear the loss.
Ukaigwe worked at the Vanguard Newspapers, MINAJ Broadcasting Service, Super Screen television and a couple of other media houses before serving as Co-ordinator of the Senior Women National Team, Super Falcons.
“Late Henrietta breathe her last in Lagos on Tuesday after a brief illness,” Oshundun said in the statement.
Edited By: Debo Oshundun/Wale Ojetimi (NAN)
Coronavirus: FRSC cautions commercial drivers in Nasarawa against non-use of passengers’ manifest
Mohammed said that stringent steps would be taken to prevent commercial drivers from travelling into the state without producing the document.
He said that with the increase in the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic in the state and Nigeria, passengers’ manifest remained a vital information document for tracing those who might have come in contact with an infected person.
According to him, hence the need for commercial drivers, especially those plying interstate routes, to always be in possession of the document.
“The passengers’ manifest will go a long way in helping health officials to trace those in contact with those infected with the virus to curb its spread,” he said.
Mohammed said that the emphasis on passengers’ manifest was one of the steps taken by FRSC to curb the spread of the virus in the state and the country at large.
He stated that the command had already made its position clear on the issue at its stakeholders’ meeting recently in Lafia.
The official said that the document was also useful in contacting the relations of passengers involved in accident.
“So, we are working hard to change the narrative by enlightening them on the importance of the passengers’ manifest in their vehicles at all times,” the FRSC official said.
He said that efforts were being made by the sector command to discourage drivers from picking up passengers by the road side in the state.
Mohammed cited the wearing of face masks, handwashing, social distancing and use of sanitisers as necessary and supported by the stakeholders at the meeting to curb the spread of the virus in Nasarawa.
“FRSC feels that there is need for us to collaborate with transport officials, to ensure that COVID-19 protocols are adhered to, in order to mitigate the spread of the virus.
“If anyone is not ready to obey the protocols, then, the person is not to be allowed into the motor parks.
“We agreed that all operators must ensure that physical distancing is enforced, hand sanitisers are available and passengers have their face masks on at all times,” he said.
Mohammed added that the state’s FRSC Sector command would continue to collaborate with the state judiciary to organise mobile courts from time to time.
Edited By: Folorunso Poroye/Olagoke Olatoye (NAN)
German court says Tesla may not use term ‘autopilot’ in advertising
Tesla went a step too far in using the term “autopilot” in advertising for its cars in Germany, according to a Munich court, which, on Tuesday, banned the United States e-car manufacturer from using that word.
The court also took issue with a number of other advertising statements used in connection with autonomous driving, coming down on the side of the German Agency to Combat Unfair Competition, which had issued a complaint against Tesla.
The organisation had complained that Tesla had given the impression, among other things, that its cars featuring driver assistance “could and should be able to drive autonomously by the end of 2019’’.
The cars neither had the technology needed to drive autonomously nor are they legally allowed to do so in Germany, leading the plaintiffs to claim the advertising was misleading.
The ruling is not yet final.
The agency is yet to decide whether to nonetheless make the ban immediately enforceable, which it could do by paying security of 100,000 euros ($114,000).
Edited By: Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)
Bode Oyewole, ex-3SC chairman, is dead
Bode Oyewole, a former Chairman of the Shooting Stars Sports Club of Ibadan (3SC), is dead.
Bose Oyewole, wife of the deceased, confirmed news of his death to journalists on Tuesday in Ibadan.
She said Oyewole, who was well known as Elder Bode Oyewole, died on Tuesday morning during a brief illness.
He was a former Chairman, Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Oyo State Council.
The late Oyewole was Chairman when 3SC won two titles in 1998 —- the Nigerian first division league title and the West African Football Union (WAFU) Cup.
Edited By: Adebayo Sekoni and Olawale Alabi) (NAN)
Court remands man in State CID’s custody over alleged rape
Ayeni ordered the remand of the defendant pending the consideration of his bail and adjourned the case until Aug.11, for mention.
Earlier, the Prosecutor, ASP Joseph Adebayo, had told the court that the defendant was facing a two-count charge of rape and indecent assault.
Adebayo said that the defendant committed the offences on June 29, around 9:30 a.m., at No. 2, Stadium Road, Ile-Ife.
The prosecutor said that the defendant unlawfully had carnal knowledge of a 14-year-old girl (names withheld).
He added that the defendant unlawfully and indecently assaulted a 14-year-old girl (names withheld).
According to him, the offences are contrary to and punishable under Sections 31(1)(2) of the Child Rights Law of Osun State, 2007 and 360 of the Criminal Code, Laws of Osun, 2002.
The defendant, however, pleaded not guilty to the charges of rape and indecent assault.
The Defence Counsel, Mr Babawale Omodogbe, applied for bail for the defendant in the most liberal terms and promised that his client would not jump bail, but would produce reliable sureties.
Magistrate A.A. Ayeni directed the prosecutor to duplicate the case file for submission at the office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPPs)in the Ministry of Justice for legal advice.
Edited By: Chidinma Agu/Peter Dada (NAN)
Bauchi SUBEB’s Chairman warns engineers against use of substandard materials for projects
Bauchi gave the warning while speaking with journalists after the board had a business session with the State House of Assembly on Tuesday in Bauchi.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the State House of Assembly had summoned the SUBEB’s Chairman to explain why there were alleged substandard projects and the shoddy execution of some contracts awarded by the board in the state.
He said that the board appeared before the legislators to explain what led to the the substandard projects executed in some schools in the state.
Bauchi said that the house also directed that the board should not pay the contractors of such projects until they had corrected all the defects associated with the contracts they executed.
The Chairman said that the board admitted that there were irregularities in some of the projects executed in some schools across the state.
“We discovered that those projects were not properly supervised by our engineers who have the responsibility over the projects.
“That is to say that they have not done their job diligently as expected of them.
“Therefore, we are calling on the engineers to leave up to expectation or face the consequences,” he said.
He urged the engineers to go back to the project sites for monitoring and proper supervision.
“The board will not hesitate to punish any engineer found wanting or jeopardizing the schools’ projects in the state,” he said.
Bauchi assured the law makers that all irregularities would be corrected in line with the expectations of the legislators, the government and the people of the state.
The Chairman of the house committee on Education, Alhaj Mohammed Babayo, recommended that all companies and contractors that executed substandard projects to the detriment of the people of the State should be blacklisted.
Babayo called on the board to carry out an investigation on the alleged negligence by the engineers and that whoever that is found wanting should be punished to serve as a deterrent to others.
He promised that the house committee would be monitoring and evaluating through constant oversight functions to end the irregularities in projects’ execution in the state..
Edited By: Benson Iziama/Peter Dada (NAN)
Manchester City deserve an apology from UEFA, a defiant Guardiola says
Guardiola had in describing the decision called the verdict a “good day for football”.
He then fired back at comments from managers Jose Mourinho and Juergen Klopp.
“Jose and all the managers should know that we were damaged. We should be apologised (to).
“Because, like I said many times, if we did something wrong, we will accept absolutely the decisions by UEFA and CAS because we did something wrong,” he said in a news conference on Tuesday.
“We have the right to defend ourselves when we believe what we have done is correct, is right. Three independent judges said this,” he added.
Liverpool manager Klopp had described the CAS verdict on Monday as “not a good day for football”, but Guardiola disagreed.
“Yesterday (Monday) was a good day for football because we play with the same rules of FFP as all the clubs in Europe. All of them. (If) we break this FFP, we will be banned,” he said.
“We were damaged. The people say (said) that we cheated and lying (lied) many, many times. The presumption of innocence was not there.
“And after, when it happened and it was (found to be that we were) right, of course we are incredibly happy because we can defend what we have done on the pitch.”
Guardiola also took aim at Spanish league president Javier Tebas, a long standing critic of Manchester City, who had questioned whether CAS was the right court for deciding such matters.
“He is another one. This guy Senor Tebas must be so jealous for (of) the Premier League, the English football,” he said.
“He is incredible legal expert from what I see. So, next time we will ask in which court, which judges we have to go. He has to be a little bit worried or concerned about La Liga, (he should) focus on there.
“Normally these kind of people, when the sentence is good for him its perfect, like happened many times in Spain right now. But when the sentence is against, the problem is for the other ones,” added Guardiola.
“We will be in the UEFA Champions League next season, Senor Tebas, because what we did, we did it properly.”
Edited By: Olawale Alabi) (NAN)
- Major shake-up in Nigerian Army as 37 Generals redeployed
- Queens College PTA wants unity schools’ participation in 2020 WASSCE
- Rotary club president pledges more services to humanity
- Students urge FG to take proactive measures for schools reopening
- Environmentalist ticks out govt. for inability to enforce environmental policies
- Coronavirus: Kwara health workers demand hazard allowance
- Farm inputs: Women farmers laud Gov. Buni
- Manchester City aren’t the only big spenders —- Guardiola
- Bauchi SUBEB’s Chairman warns engineers against use of substandard materials for projects
- Coronavirus: Specialist hospital commends union for suspending strike