A 40-year-old man, Femi Afolab, on Tuesday appeared in an Ile-Ife Magistrates’ Court in Osun, for allegedly trespassing into Obafemi Awolowo University(OAU) campus in Ile-Ife to kill bats.
Afolabi is charged with breach of public peace and trespass, to which he pleaded not guilty.
The Prosecution Counsel, Sgt Adewale Adesina, told the court that the defendant committed the offence on Jan 13 at 9 a.m. at OAU.
Adesina alleged that the defendant conducted himself in a manner likely to cause breach of the peace by entering OAU without the institution’s permission and started killing bats with catapult.
He added that the offence contravened the provisions of Section 249(d) of the Criminal Code , Laws of Osun, 2002.
Defence Counsel, Mr Samuel Obi, prayed the court to admit his client to bail in the most liberal terms.
The Magistrate, Mrs Muhibah Olatunji, admitted the defendant to bail in the sum of N100,000 with one surety in like sum.
Olatunji ordered that the surety must swear to affidavit of means and reside within the court’s jurisdiction.
She added that the surety should show evidence of three years tax payment to Osun Government.
The case was adjourned until Feb 11 for mention
Edited by: Edith Bolokor/Sadiya Hamza
- Tanker drivers start strike Monday as talks with LASG end in deadlock
- NCDC confirms 437 new COVID-19 case, total of infection hits 46,577
- Apapa will open to traffic in October — LASG
- Halep to decide on United States Open after Prague event
- Gov. Fayemi mourns ex-Ekiti lawmaker, Fakiyesi
- Vettel says Ferrari messed up with nonsensical strategy
- Ekiti Govt paying lip service to healthcare delivery, say striking doctors
- Resumption: Academy wants COVID-19 protocol funds released directly to schools
- Willian confirms exit from Chelsea after 7 years
- Anglican Bishop urges govts to save SMEs from collapse