Connect with us

Judiciary

Man drags divorced wife to court over alleged refusal to quit house

Published

on

An Abuja businessman, Alhaji Umar Bello, on Friday dragged his divorced wife, Akbar, to a Gudu Grade I Area Court, praying the court to order her out of his house.

Bello is also seeking the court’s order to the divorced wife to return the Certificate of Occupancy of the house to him.

He informed the court that his 20-year-old marriage to Akbar was dissolved on Dec. 4,2018.

He further told the court that since the divorce, Akbar had refused to move out of the house and had also seized the certificate of occupancy.

Akbar, however, through her counsel, Usman Imam, denied all the allegations.

The Judge, Ado Muktar, advised both parties to go and prepare their witnesses against the next adjourned date.

He then adjourned the case till July 16 for hearing.

Foreign

New Zealand police officers charged with manslaughter

Published

on

Three New Zealand Police officers have been charged with manslaughter, authorities said on Wednesday, following the death of a man in custody last year.

The 55-year-old man died while in custody at the Hawera police station, some 190 kilometres north of Wellington, in the early hours of June 1, 2019.

The charges allege the officers, who cannot be named for legal reasons, were “grossly negligent” in their duty of care to the victim, and that this was a “causal factor” in his death, police said in a statement.

“The decision to file charges was made after a thorough investigation and consideration of legal advice from the New Plymouth Crown Solicitor and a Queen’s Counsel,” the statement said.

The victim’s family has been advised on the charges, and all three officers have been stood down from duty, the statement said.

The trio have been remanded on bail and will appear in court in late June.

Police said as the matter is before the courts, no further details or comments about the case would be made.

A police statement released last year following the incident said the man was found unresponsive at the police station during a routine check.

Police staff and paramedics tried to revive the man for more than 30 minutes.

“It is a very sad time for all involved, and we extend our deepest sympathies to the family,” Inspector Chris de Wattignar said at the time.

“Police staff make every effort to ensure the safety of those in Police custody.”

Edited By: Emmanuel (NAN) Yashim

Continue Reading

Foreign

United States ambassador to Germany Grenell resigns

Published

on

By

The United States Ambassador to Germany Richard Grenell has resigned from post and his deputy has temporarily filled in, local media Deutsche Presse Agentur (DPA) reported on Tuesday.

Grenell confirmed his retreat late Monday on his Instagram account without indicating his next post.

It has been widely speculated that he may join United States President Donald Trump‘s re-election campaign, according to the DPA.

Grenell’s deputy Robin Quinville has become the chargee d’affaires until a new ambassador comes.

During his tenure of more than two years in Germany, Grenell was seen widely by German media as an aggressive, unconventional and even rude diplomat, as he zealously presented Trump’s policies in Germany and Europe.

Shortly after his appointment in May 2018, he directly warned German enterprises not to work with Iran, which was criticized for meddling in other country’s internal affairs.

He tweeted many controversial statements, following Trump’s rhetoric, including the accusation about Germany’s insufficient military and the threat to withdraw U.S. troops from Germany.

He has also long been finding things to pick at about the Nord Stream 2 project, which is designed to transport natural gas from Russia to Germany through the Baltic Sea.

Although German ministers have refrained from radical responses to Grenell, parliament members have often openly denounced his remarks, and some lawmakers even asked foreign ministry to declare him as “persona non grata” — an unwelcome or unacceptable person in diplomacy.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Oman requests employees aged 60 in gov’t companies to retire

Published

on

By

The Omani government on Tuesday announced a decision to request the employees aged 60 or above in government companies to retire, in a bid to create more job opportunities.

The decision, announced by the Ministry of Finance, stipulated that all workers in government companies who have reached the age of 60 years must be referred for retirement, as is the practice in other government institutions.

The ministry also called on all government companies to implement the decision, with the aim of accelerating the pace of employment and providing job opportunities to accommodate the Omanis looking for work.

It also aims to regulate some aspects of the labor market and employment policies in all government companies, the Omani news agency ONA reported.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Police Command in Niger “in talks” with top APC official over party funds

Published

on

The Police Command in Niger on Tuesday said it had invited a top official of the All Progressive Congress (APC) in the state, over alleged financial misappropriation.

According to the Commissioner, Adamu Usman, the APC official is specifically accused of misusing party finances “since he assumed office in 2015”.

Usman told the News Agency of Nigeria in Minna that a petition against the APC official had accused him of misusing funds realised from the sale of Expression of Interest forms to members that contested elective positions.

He said that the petitioners accused the party chief of spending the funds “unilaterally and without due process”.

According to him, the petition was written by some members of the executive council of the party who also accused the official of abuse of office.

“We are investigating the matter and shall get to the root of it. We want to find out if there is any substance in the claims of the petitioners.

The Nigerian Police has the responsibility to investigate any form of criminal complaint from any citizen of the state. That is what we are doing.

“We are handling the matter professionally to ensure that justice is done to all sides,” he said.

Efforts to speak with the affected party official did not yield fruits as he was said to be “in deep discussions” with  personnel of the Criminal Investigation Division.


Edited By: Chioma Ugboma and Ephraims Sheyin (NAN)

 

Continue Reading

Politics

APC in Niger still united – Chairman

Published

on

Alhaji Mohammed Imam, Chairman,  All Progressives Congress (APC) in Niger, says the party is still united despite recent petition alleging misappropriation of funds by some members of the state executive.

Imam stated this on Tuesday in Minna after an extended meeting with members of the party at the state and local government levels.

The News Agency of Nigeria recalls that the state Financial Secretary of the APC, Malam Idris Gbongon, had recently petitioned the police alleging that the chairman and other executive members misappropriated funds accruing to the party.

The APC has set out mechanisms to re-strategise and ensure that the party remain united.

“We will not allow factions in  the APC in Niger or to be subdued by anyone, no matter the position the person holds, as the party remains a supreme body,” he said.

Imam said that party had properly  documented all the monies it had  spent.

“No money is lost. We have been running the system in the most transparent manner, in fact, we run it as if it is a Ministry. We have been prudent in resource management.

“The party has three signatories and the financial secretary who wrote that petition is one of the signatories and he has been the one writing the cheques,” he said.

He added that the financial secretary had never been sidelined any anyway as he had always participated in all meetings and party activities.

He pointed out that the financial secretary was being mischievous, saying that a five-man committee has been set up by the party to give  fair hearing to all parties involved  and submit their report in one week.

“This is an internal issue and we have internal mechanisms for conflict resolution which have been employed.

“A committee has been set up to give everyone  fair hearing and they will submit their report in a week time,” he said.

On the party’s relationship with the executive in the state, Imam said that it was cordial, “but the party should be consulted on some issues that affect it.”


Edited By: Chioma Ugboma and Isaac Ukpoju (NAN)

Continue Reading

General news

Buhari condoles with Dan Suleiman over wife’s death

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari has commiserated with elder statesman and former military Governor of Plateau, retired Air Commodore Dan Suleiman over the death of his wife, Marie.

The president’s condolence message was conveyed in a statement by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Malam Garba Shehu, in Abuja on Tuesday.

“Buhari condoled with all family members and associates of the matriarch, whose investment of love in her family and community will always be remembered,” he said.

The president prayed that the almighty God will receive the soul of the deceased, who would be laid to rest at the weekend.

He also prayed that God would comfort the family she left behind.

Continue Reading

Foreign

UN warns of looming humanitarian crisis in Somalia

Published

on

By

The UN on Tuesday called on the international community to help Somalia avert a major humanitarian crisis due to the combined effect of devastating floods, desert locusts and the widespread impact of COVID-19.

Justin Brady, head of Office for the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) in Somalia warned that the political and security gains made by Somalia over recent years could be at risk of reversal if swift action is not taken to avert the crisis.

“We have a situation of the two problems of floods and COVID-19 converging and reinforcing the impact on the population, and then we have the locusts,” Brady said in a statement issued in Mogadishu.

“We expect to see a portion of the crops this year lost to the locust infestation, which will compound the food security and nutrition situation for many Somalis,” he added.

The UN official said Somalia’s coping mechanisms are significantly less than those of the neighboring countries.

“Therefore, the impact of floods, locusts and COVID-19 is not simply humanitarian but has the potential to reverse some of the political and security gains that the international community has invested in over the past decade,” said Brady.

According to the UN, about 500,000 people have been displaced by recent floods in Somalia’s central regions, while the country is also dealing with a severe locust infestation which threatens food security and nutrition for many.

Somalia has also been responding to the COVID-19 pandemic‘s spread with the total number of confirmed cases reaching 2,089, 390 recoveries and 79 fatalities as of Tuesday.

The UN said the pandemic has led to major socio-economic disruptions across Somalia, including a reduction in remittances from the Diaspora, itself a mainstay for many Somalis, and a reduction in casual labor opportunities due to COVID-19 restrictions, making it difficult for many to cope.

“We need to continue to work together and expand the coordination with the private sector, civil society and have more engagement with the diaspora,” Brady said.

He said the UN‘s warning takes into account Somalia’s inherent structural weaknesses, which make the country far more vulnerable than the other countries in the region, and calls for an all hands on deck approach to avert the worst.

The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) said it has acquired equipment to help eradicate the locusts in infested areas in locations such as Hargeisa, Galmudug and Puntland. The infestation is Somalia‘s worst outbreak in 25 years.

The FAO Country Representative in Somalia, Etienne Peterschmitt, believes that the impact of the current desert locust outbreak in Somalia could, by September, increase the number of Somalis facing food insecurity or severe hunger by half a million.

Both OCHA and WHO have described the floods, locusts and COVID-19 as an unprecedented “triple threat,” which needed adequate funding to fight against.

Somalia was already struggling with floods and an invasion of desert locusts in the northern parts of the country when COVID-19 struck, further aggravating the situation by putting pressure on the country’s fragile health system, thereby causing a major public health crisis.

“Unless we are able to rapidly scale up our response operations, unless we get adequate funding from our donors, we will not be able to respond to this need of the government and that window is closing very rapidly,” said the WHO Country Representative for Somalia, Mamunur Rahman Malik.

According to the UN, while some half a million people have been displaced, overall, more than a million people have been affected by flash and riverine floods in Somalia.

In March, Somalia launched the National Preparedness and Response Plan for COVID-19, seeking 57 million U.S. dollars for the next six months.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

General news

Ibadan businessman petitions new Oyo CP over alleged rights infringement

Published

on

An Ibadan-based businessman, Mr Peter Asa, has petitioned the new Commissioner of Police in Oyo State, Nwachukwu Enwonwu, over alleged infringement on his fundamental rights by the police.
Asa, in his petition, entitled: ‘Save My Soul’, and made available to newsmen on Tuesday in Ibadan, said that his rights had been grossly infringed upon.
He alleged that some police officers were being used to silence him over a certain property sold to him by a company, UAC, in 2020 for N26 million.
Asa, popularly known as King Zion, named a certain man as the brain behind his recent detention for three days at the Iyaganku police station.
The businessman said that the inaugural speech of the new police boss, where he pledged never to tolerate any infringement on the fundamental human rights of any member of the public by his officers and men, motivated his distress call.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Enwonwu, who took over from Mr Shina Olukolu, who had been transferred to the Force Criminal Investigation Department in Lagos State, assumed duty on June 1.
Asa, while alleging that the man in question had sponsored several attacks on him, using security agents, implored the police commissioner to carry out an investigation on the case.
“Two officers from Iyaganku, on a recent Thursday afternoon, around 2 pm., at the premises of a bank in Dugbe, arrested and treated me like a common criminal.
“I was taken to Iyaganku police station and kept in detention with criminally-minded suspects for three days.
“The officers arrested me and said my attention was needed at Iyaganku.
“There
is no iota of truth in what I was alleged of. They said I was responsible for the fire incident at the said property, which I duly paid for over 18 years ago.
“The ownership right on the matter is still in court and I will not want to go there. But as a pastor, I know truth will prevail at the end, as I have faith in God that I will get justice, no matter what,” he said.
Asa said that the fire incident happened in broad daylight on April 15 and that he was arrested on May 14, allegedly on a trumped up charge that he was responsible for the inferno.
He said that his arrest came after the officials of Oyo State government had fingered a welder working in one of the shops in the complex as the brain behind the inferno.


Edited By: Bayo Sekoni and (NAN)‘Wale Sadeeq

Continue Reading

Foreign

Demand for labor in Germany continues to fall due to COVID-19 pandemic

Published

on

By

Due to economic restrictions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, demand for labor in Germany continued to fall as the country’s job index fell from 94 points in April to 91 points in May, Germany’s Federal Employment Agency (BA) announced on Tuesday.

The decline in labor demand slowed down after the monthly index had fallen by 19 points last month. “New job registrations have recovered from the strong fall in April,” BA noted.

However, with a minus of 38 points year-on-year, the job index in May was “considerably” below the previous year’s level and also remained below the reference level, according to BA.

“Staff requirements are lower than in the previous year in all industry sectors,” BA said. Almost half of the decline was due to the decreasing demand in temporary employment and the country’s manufacturing industry.

The hotel and restaurant industry was also affected by the coronavirus restrictions with 42 percent fewer jobs registered, according to BA. In transport and logistics, the number of registered jobs fell by a third.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

Read Also