A German court on Friday jailed a man for 15 years after he admitted shooting dead his mother, father, two half-siblings, uncle and aunt at a family gathering in January.
The court in the southern town of Ellwangen convicted the man on six counts of murder and two of attempted murder, after hearing how another aunt and uncle survived the bloodbath with serious injuries.
The 27-year-old defendant is to serve no less than some of his sentence in a psychiatric hospital.
Prosecutors and co-plaintiffs had called for the full 15-year life sentence for the crime.
The public prosecutor’s office spoke of the man’s “limited ability to control” his actions, whereas the co-plaintiffs considered him fully culpable.
The defence pushed for a 13-year custodial sentence and accommodation in a psychiatric hospital.
The shooting took place on Jan. 24 in the town of Rot am See in the south-western state of Baden-Wuerttemberg.
The defendant is said to have shot 30 bullets, killing his family members with headshots in the man’s father’s apartment block, in which he also lived.
The family had met for a funeral there.
During the trial the man said he had been planning the attack for some time, having joined a marksmen’s club and legally obtained a gun prior to the crime.
He said he had acted out of hatred towards his mother, whom he claimed had tried to poison him with female hormones.
“I’m sorry. I regret what I did,” the man told the court before his verdict was read out.
Edited By: Abiodun Oluleye and Isaac Aregbesola (NAN)
- Mosque reopening: EKiti Muslims to bring private praying mats, ablution kettles
- Oil prices rise, head for weekly gain amid cautious hopes for fuel demand recovery
- U.S visa ban: Nigeria has substantially met demands, says FG Committee
- United States agency warns against toxic hand sanitisers
- Andreescu will not defend United States Open title
- Serena beats Venus to reach Lexington quarter-finals
- Gov. Umahi rejects Ebonyi’s transfer to Police Zone 13 Division
- UN Chief welcomes Israel, UAE peace agreement
- Caretaker committee promises better times for Anambra football stakeholders, unveils new FA secretariat
- NAPHER-SD identifies loopholes in sports industry policy draft, calls for review