An Ebute Meta Magistrates’ Court in Lagos on Friday ordered the remand of a 27-year-old man, Ibrahim Abu, accused of stabbing a man to death with a broken bottle.
The presiding Magistrate, Tolu Agbona ordered that Abu should be remanded in Ikoyi Prison pending legal advice from the State Directorate of Public Prosecutions (DPP).
He, thereafter, adjourned the matter till July 15.
Earlier, the Prosecutor, Insp Cousin Adams, told the court that the defendant committed the offence on May 30, at Satellite Town.
He alleged that the defendant had used a broken bottles to stab Azuka Ogobi, 32, to death.
“The deceased did not like the fact that the defendant was separating two street fighters, he approached him and asked that he should not meddle and should leave them to fight.
“The duo consequently had gotten into a fight and stabbed each other, but Ogobi died two days later from the wound sustained,” the prosecutor said.
The offence, Adams said, contravened the provisions of Section 223 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
News Agency of Nigeria reports that Section 223 stipulates death sentence for offenders.
- Ugandan Nakalembe wins opening round at Nigeria Ladies Open Golf Championship
- Imo NDLEA confirms arrest of alleged notorious drug dealer
- Multiple accident claims 13 lives on Lagos-Ibadan expressway
- APC NWC upholds suspension of Edo party’s chairman
- I will be most excited person if I win 2021 AFCON for Nigeria, Rohr says
- Don tasks FG on production of West Africa Dwarf goat
- Medical doctors urged to draw line between profession ethics and business
- Buhari meets Pearson Educational Group mgt. in London
- Chemical engineers call for policies to promote smart agricultural value chain
- Nigerians seek tougher actions against corruption
- Gov. Matawalle reassures Zamfara citizens of his commitment to security
- Kogi: FCT minister drums support for Bello
- Super Eagles ‘ll grow into AFCON qualifiers, says Akanni
- Obaseki has failed Edo people, says PDP
- Makinde appoints Ex-Rep. Ogunwuyi DG, Investments, PPP Agency
- ZMSG to resuscitate 5 abandoned ginneries—-Gov. Matawalle
- PDP rejects hate speech bill
- Businessman arraigned over alleged importation of 13 containers of substandard cables
- International GIS Day: Expert calls for GIS inculcation in STEM study
- FG, Harvestplus, task Nigerians on making nutrition daily business