Mr Peter Adedokun, an Ibadan based civil servant, on Thursday asked a Mapo Customary Court in Ibadan to dissolve his 27-year-old marriage with his wife, Mary, because of alleged threat to his life.
In his petition before Chief Ademola Odunade, the court’s President, Adedokun stated that his wife would either kill him or he kills her if she stays any further in his house.
He also told the court that Mary was solely responsible for the death of his mother some years ago.
“My biggest reason for filing this suit is the fact that Mary is a fetish woman who could tamper with anybody’s life and I don’t want her to eliminate me like she did to my mom.
“She has been going from one witch doctor to the other to get rid of me and one of our children.
“Mary took the 19-year-old child of ours to a fetish place, complaining that somebody was using his destiny, but that boy is not normal till date as a result of the charms given to him.
“Similarly, she took my mother’s name to the same spiritualist whose evil activity brought about her untimely death.
“When her father saw the magnitude of the trouble she has been giving me, he advised me to get another wife.
“Besides, Mary is a number one gossip in the neighbourhood as she derives pleasure in spreading all sorts of blackmails about me around the street,” Adedokun said.
However, the defendant opposed the suit and refuted the allegations levelled against her.
Mary submitted that her husband made up his mind to part ways with her because he just got a second wife.
Even though she refused to make any comment over allegations of fetish and the death of her mother in-law, Mary maintained that she had remained loyal and obedient to her husband for 27 years.
Not satisfied with the submissions of the duo, Odunade requested them to produce their four children and relatives in court.
He adjourned the matter till Oct. 4 for judgment.
Edited by Muhammad Suleiman Tola
- Bayelsa guber: Accept defeat, stop heating up polity, APC advises Gov. Dickson
- Thanksgiving: Cleric urges politicians to shun greed
- Foundation distributes 400 footwears to vulnerable children in Kaduna
- Jos consumers urge Plateau Govt. to check re-bagging of local rice
- Association urges SSCOE management to address viral hate speech by lecturer
- Akeredolu appoints three new aides
- Illegal operation: Lagos Govt. seals 24 pharmacies, patent medicine stores
- Association appeals to Enugu govt. for regular payment of pension, gratuity of teachers
- 2020 budget: Reps minority caucus promises to monitor implementation
- Cassava production: Scientists meet in Tanzania to review progress
- Don calls for service to Allah, as OAU MSSN inaugurates new executives
- FGGC Yola old girls pass vote of confidence on Saromi
- NAF partners US DOD to enhance medical, casualty evacuation capabilities
- 19-year-old Yahoo boy sets girlfriend ablaze over lover
- Foundation distributes 400 footwears to vulnerable children in Kaduna.
- Presidency dismisses insinuations over Sowore’s arrest, says Nigerians deserve peace
- Lagos Govt to launch App on annual cultural events
- Osinbajo to speak at UAE peace forum
- Adamawa APC rejects LG election results
- Restriction of Journalists covering Imo assembly activities, a dangerous precedent—Union
- Review: Sean Tizzle’s single ‘Contagious’, not enough for a hit record
- Katsina state govt. pays N208m WAEC fees for 21,589 candidates–Commissioner
- Opadokun, NADECO leader, seeks more libraries to boost reading culture
- Review: Teni Apata’s music, personality evolution draws mixed feelings
- Ministry of power seeks collaboration with agencies for improved power supply
- Kano State targets 3.8m children for meningitis vaccination
- Focus, Funding, keys to having to a great musical career- Toby
- Institute tasks FG on tourism, hospitality sector
- Boxing: NIDCOM boss, Dabiri-Erewa applauds Joshua’s victory over Ruiz Jr.
- Christmas: We are capable of meeting demands- Nasarawa Rice Millers
- Cleric urges Christians to live exemplary lives
- Nutrition Survey will lead to improved quality healthcare – Experts
- RIFAN urges FG to sustain border closure
- Fireboy DML debuts best album to close 2019
- Style Review: the return of pleated skirts
- National Public Safety Security System: Police Affairs Ministry sets up committee for smooth take-off
- Expert urges FG to sensitise Nigerians on $29.96bn foreign loan
- ‘Muna’ suggests new career angle for Adesua Etomi-Wellington
- BASA will strengthen cultural ties, deepen unity amongst personnel – CAS
- Nigeria on cause to raise Olympic champions in gymnastic – Coach Asuquo
- FG to introduce new visa regime to boost economy
- Expo 2020 in Dubai: What Benefits to Africa?
- Boxing: I’m happy Joshua won back his respect, says Isaac Ikhouria
- Boxing: Joshua takes revenge on Ruiz in Saudi Arabia rematch
- Buhari salutes Anthony Joshua on comeback victory
- DSS says Sowore’s rearrest video, mischief, meant for propagandist purpose
- NGO wants HIV test as component of routine ante natal care
- FG assures qualified teachers of good welfare, incentives
- Buhari mourns Evangelist Reinhard Bonnke
- Salome Abuh, PDP woman leader burnt to death, buried amid tears