Liverpool boss Juergen Klopp described as “not a good day for football” Manchester City’s successful appeal against a two-year UEFA ban for allegedly breaking Financial Fair Play (FFP) rules.
“I don’t think it was a good day for football yesterday, to be honest.
“FFP is a good idea. It is there for protecting teams and the competition, so that nobody overspends and have to make sure the money they want to spend is based on the right sources,” Klopp told a virtual news conference on Tuesday.
City won their appeal at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) on Monday, meaning they will now be allowed to compete in next season’s Champions League.
CAS ruled that City did not breach FFP rules by disguising equity funding as sponsorship.
“It’s not up to me to judge this and I don’t but I think this FFP framework we should stick to.
I hope FFP stays just because it gives kind of borders that you can go to, but not over it, and that’s good for football.
“If you start doing that nobody has to care any more and the richest people or countries can do what they want.
“It will make the competition really difficult and I think that would lead automatically to a kind of world super league with like 10 clubs and it would depend on who owns the clubs and not the names of the clubs.
“It makes sense to have these rules,” Klopp said.
Klopp did say, however, that City’s place in the Champions League next season might at least benefit Liverpool as they try to retain their Premier League title.
“They won’t have 10 or 12 games less now, no other team would have had a chance in the (Premier) league,” he said.
Liverpool face Arsenal on Wednesday knowing defeat would end their chances of equalling Manchester City’s record 100-point haul in the Premier League set two years ago.
With three games remaining they have 93 points with City a distant second on 72.
Edited By: Maharazu Ahmed (NAN)
- Edo election: APC ward chairman dumps party for PDP
- COVID-19: Five states account for 60% of cases – PTF
- FG inaugurates Gas Network Code to deepen gas market
- Police nab fake soldier in Delta
- Gunmen kills 13 villagers in Benue – Police
- Civil servants docked over alleged cybercrime, get N10m bail
- How 16 people perish on Badagry waterways — Survivor
- Gov. Masari bans NGOs from IDPs camps
- My mission is to ensure businesses thrive in Eastern Ports – CP
- Akintola family appreciates Buhari for naming Railway Station after their patriarch