Mr Lawrence Danat, Chairman Mangu Local Government of Plateau, on Thursday inaugurated a 10-member committee to screen teaching and non-teaching staff of the local government.
Danat said the committee became imperative in view of the financial burden the payment of the monthly salaries of teaching and non-teaching staff had placed on the council.
“This exercise is purposely to ascertain the actual monthly wage bill of Primary Education section, as well as total number of schools, teachers and non-teaching staff.
“The huge monthly wage bill of the education section of this local government is unacceptable and something drastic has to be done, hence the inauguration of this committee,’’ he said.
He expressed hope that the exercise would yield positive results and restore sanity in the education sector.
The chairman also expressed optimism that the measure could save some funds for the council which could be channeled to other sectors for the development of the area.
The committee is chaired by the Council’s Secretary, Mr Sunday Yilkyes.
It has four weeks to complete its assignment and submit its report.
Responding on behalf of others, Yilkyes thanked the chairman for counting them worthy for such an important assignment.
He assured that they would be committed and prudent in executing the task in the interest of the area.
Edited by Johnson Eyiangho and Abdullahi Yusuf
- FG assures qualified teachers of good welfare, incentives
- Buhari mourns Evangelist Reinhard Bonnke
- Salome Abuh, PDP woman leader burnt to death, buried amid tears
- NAN correspondent gets accolades for sponsoring soccer tournament
- ECOWAS Presidents to meet on single currency regime Dec. 21
- FGGC Yola old students seek unity among children
- FEATURE: Gender-Based Violence: Do men suffer same?
- Nasarawa grassroots sports: Ezhiba defeat Alashe in competition organised by NAN Correspondent
- SWOFON commends women farmers’ successes in spite of challenges
- New Ondo IPAC chairman promises to build trust among members
- Education remains potent weapon to reduce unemployment -Buhari
- LG poll: ADSIEC Chairman expresses concern over low turnout of voters
- Experts outline ways to fund Nigeria’s infrastructure deficit through capital market
- Minister tasks Nigerians on regular exercise for healthy living
- Nollywood: Audition for ‘A Call to Service’, pro-NYSC scheme movie debuts in FCT
- Tallen gives N250, 000 cash prize to best UniJos graduating female students, to support 200 indigent ones with N4m
- Christmas: Enugu residents opt for de-stoned local rice as price of imported variant soars
- Xmas : SWAN donates cloths, food, celebrates with orphans
- Fair approach to governance sure guarantee for democratic stability – Gov. Tambuwal
- Ex-Chief of Army staff urges women, girls to acquire skills
- 981 Kogi teachers write professional exam
- Lagos-Ibadan rail project: NASS Joint C’ttee inspects, expresses satisfaction
- Provost hails Buhari for support to Ebonyi Federal Agric College
- NAN Correspondent organises unity football competition to boost unity in Nasarawa state
- Buhari condoles with UAE president over brother’s death
- Nigeria retains 95,000 slots for pilgrims in 2020 hajj – NAHCON
- NGO treks 3km to create awareness against sexual violence, women trafficking
- Residents of Ajeromi-Ifelodun LGA commend Nigeria Navy, Pakistan Navy medical collaboration
- Ajanaku, a great politician, democrat – Buhari
- Ekiti LG poll witnesses low turnout
- Buratai inaugurates multi-million Naira projects in Depot, NMS
- Christmas Carol: Naval officers,NOWA pray for Nigeria, leadership, Armed Forces
- Anambra Sports Development Commission tasks public on regular exercise
- Lack of synergy responsible for Nigeria’s loss at IMO council election – operators
- Gov. Abiodun appoints Chokor Head of Service
- NTIC students donate Christmas gifts to sick children at LASUTH
- RIFAN recovers N35m CBN ABP loan in Niger
- Lekki residents protest against proposed location of 5-storey school building in residential estate
- Lawmaker urges waste managers to ensure cleaner Lagos
- Army conducts free medical outreach in 3 Enugu communities
- Wabote lists benefits of NLNG Train 7
- Group seeks participation of more women in farming
- Aguleri community builds unity centre worth N150m
- Eye centre performs 900 operations in 12 months
- Transport strikes continue in France amid fresh lorry blockades
- IPPIS: NECA urges FG, ASUU to initiate industrial relations process to resolve disagreement
- Former head of state, Abdulsalami underscores importance of traditional institutions
- UniJos graduates 11, 431 students, 74 first class, 97 PhDs
- Institute concludes environmental impact survey of Lagos, makes recommendations
- Sowore: Rights commission urges law enforcement officials to respect law