Mr Lawrence Danat, Chairman Mangu Local Government of Plateau, on Thursday inaugurated a 10-member committee to screen teaching and non-teaching staff of the local government.
Danat said the committee became imperative in view of the financial burden the payment of the monthly salaries of teaching and non-teaching staff had placed on the council.
“This exercise is purposely to ascertain the actual monthly wage bill of Primary Education section, as well as total number of schools, teachers and non-teaching staff.
“The huge monthly wage bill of the education section of this local government is unacceptable and something drastic has to be done, hence the inauguration of this committee,’’ he said.
He expressed hope that the exercise would yield positive results and restore sanity in the education sector.
The chairman also expressed optimism that the measure could save some funds for the council which could be channeled to other sectors for the development of the area.
The committee is chaired by the Council’s Secretary, Mr Sunday Yilkyes.
It has four weeks to complete its assignment and submit its report.
Responding on behalf of others, Yilkyes thanked the chairman for counting them worthy for such an important assignment.
He assured that they would be committed and prudent in executing the task in the interest of the area.
Edited by Johnson Eyiangho and Abdullahi Yusuf
- Major shake-up in Nigerian Army as 37 Generals redeployed
- Queens College PTA wants unity schools’ participation in 2020 WASSCE
- Students urge FG to take proactive measures for schools reopening
- Rotary club president pledges more services to humanity
- Ebonyi inaugurates committee to recruit 13,000 for FG’s Special Works Programme
- Environmentalist ticks out govt. for inability to enforce environmental policies
- Farm inputs: Women farmers laud Gov. Buni
- Manchester City aren’t the only big spenders —- Guardiola
- Coronavirus: Kwara health workers demand hazard allowance
- Bauchi SUBEB’s Chairman warns engineers against use of substandard materials for projects