Connect with us

General news

March 9: Be proactive, professional, Commandant urges Abia NSCDC operatives

Published

on

March 9: Be proactive, professional, Commandant urges Abia NSCDC operatives

NSCDC

Mr Nnamdi Nwannukwu, the Commandant, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps in Abia, has charged officers and men of the command deployed for Saturday’s polls to be proactive and professional in the discharge of their duty.

Nwannukwu gave the charge in a statement issued in Umuahia on Thursday, stating that the command was fully prepared for the polls.

He said that 2,500 operatives, who worked in the Feb. 23 Presidential and National Assembly elections, would be deployed for Saturday’s exercise.

He said that the command would join other sister-security agencies in the state to provide adequate security for the people to be able to exercise their franchise.

He said that NSCDC had been part and parcel of the series of meetings of the Inter-Agencies Consultative Committee on Elections Security in Abia.

Nwannukwu said: “We have held meetings to review our performance in the Feb. 23 polls.

“We also strategise and adopt new measures to strengthen and ensure adequate security before, during and after the polls.

“I can assure you that the safety of the electorate, election observers, officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission and election materials is fully guaranteed,” he said.

The commandant said that the command “has spread its dragnet across strategic areas of the state, especially the identified flash points.”

He warned that the long arm of the law would catch up with “any group or individual that would plot to disrupt the smooth conduct of the polls.”

“Any person or group that is arrested for allegedly fomenting violence during the polls would be made to face the full weight of the electoral law,” Nwannukwu said.

He urged political parties and their candidates to refrain from acts capable of causing crisis and disorder during the polls.

He said: “Parties and their supporters should shun violence. Any one or group caught in acts likely to disrupt the peaceful conduct of the polls will be spared.

“Candidates should also restrain their supporters and thugs from engaging in thuggery.

“Any political thug that is arrested for disrupting the electoral process shall be prosecuted according to the law,” he said.

Nwannukwu commended the operatives of the command for their good performance in the last elections and urged them to scale up in Saturday’s exercise.

He also thanked Abia residents for their maturity and good conduct in the last polls and admonished them “not to rest on their oars.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Defence/Security

EFCC arrest Benue vigilante commandant over alleged N449.5m fraud

Published

on

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested Mr George Mbessey, the Commandant, Benue State Vigilante Group (BSVG), following a petition over alleged conspiracy, abuse of office and diversion of N449.5 million public funds.

The EFCC Makurdi Zonal Office Head of Media and Publicity, Mr Dele Oyewale said in a statement made available to the News Agency of Nigeira on Friday  in Makurdi.

According to Oyewale, Mbessey was arrested by operatives of the EFCC on Wednesday in Makurdi.

”The petitioners state that the BSVG receives its official funding of N20 million monthly directly from the Bureau of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs through official account.

Between October 2018 and May 2020, the suspect allegedly collected funds meant for the group to the tune of N449.5 million, using personal account.

”An act they claim did not follow due process, hence, the petition to the EFCC,” the commission spokesperson said.

He further disclosed that the suspect has already volunteered useful information to the commission and would be arraigned in court as soon as investigation was concluded.

Edited By: Chinyere Bassey/Maharazu Ahmed (NAN)

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Lockdown: Fake NSCDC official arrested, quarantined in Ebonyi-Commandant

Published

on

The Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Ebonyi Command, has said that one James Mbah, arrested in Ebonyi, who claimed to be a staff of the NSCDC was an impersonator.

The NSCDC Ebonyi Commandant, Lucy Samu, told the News Agency of Nigeria in Abakaliki on Sunday that the suspect had been quarantined to ascertain his COVID-19 status.

NAN reports that the suspect, Mr James Mbah, was arrested at the Timber Shed Junction on Afikpo/Abakaliki Expressway on April 30 by officials of the state’s Neighbourhood Watch while conveying two persons on his motorcycle.

Mbah, who hails from Ishieke in Ebonyi Local Council of Ebonyi, claimed to be an official of NSCDC in Anambra.

Samu told NAN that Mbah was not an officer of the corps but an ‘impersonator,’ who wore NSCDC uniform to beat the state’s restriction of movement order.

Samu said that she had inquired from the Anambra Command of the corps and was informed that Mbah was not a staff there nor was he on its payroll.

“The Anambra commandant said he also inquired from the Divisional Office, where Mbah claimed he was attached, he was not also on the staff list.

“He is also not a staff in the Ebonyi office or on our payroll. He (allegedly) wore the NSCDC uniform and paraded himself as our officer but he is not one of us,” she said.

The NSCDC Ebonyi commandant said that the suspect had been quarantined and would receive all necessary checks before being prosecuted.

“This is to ascertain his COVID-19 status and if negative, he will be handed over to us for prosecution but if positive, will receive the necessary treatment before prosecution.

“I have advised the COVID-19 taskforce team and relevant security agencies to properly check the identities of anyone who claims to be a security personnel.

“They should also demand for a travel pass from the head of the concerned security outfit,” she said.

Mr Stanley Okoro-Emegha, State Commissioner for Border Peace and Internal Security, confirmed to NAN that Mbah claimed to be attached to the NSCDC office in Umunze, Anambra.

“The state government’s directive is that any Ebonyi indigene who gets to any of its boundaries would not be sent back but brought to its withholding centre in Abakaliki for quarantine and testing.

“Mbah will however be prosecuted by the NSCDC as the state commandant informed us that he was not their staff,” Okoro-Emegha said.

Edited By: Joe Idika/Obike Ukoh (NAN)

 

 

 

 

Continue Reading

Health

COVID 19 curfew : Kaduna NSCDC Commandant tasks personnel on professionalism 

Published

on

The Kaduna State Commandant of Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Mr Babangida  Dutsinma, has directed officers and men of the command to exercise restraint and discharge their duties professionally while enforcing the restriction of movement in the state.

The Commandant issued the directive in a statement by the Public Relations Officer, ASC Orndiir Terzungwe, on Friday in Kaduna.

The Commandant gave the directive while addressing Heads of departments, units, Area Commanders and Divisional Officers at the state headquarters.

He said that as security agents, they must ensure that there was full compliance with the restriction of movement, without violating human rights.

Dutsinma warned  that the command would not condone inefficiency from officers  in enforcing the order, but said essential service providers have been excluded from the restriction order.

He directed that high level of professionalism devoid of misconduct should be maintained by the personnel while carrying out the assignment.

The Commandant implored members of the public to cooperate with security agencies by voluntarily obeying government order.

He cautioned against violation of social distancing directive for those who still patronize recreational facilities especially in the suburbs, stressing  that the command was determined to end such violation.

He advised Muslims and Christians to abide with the restrictions on congregational prayers pending the control of the pandemic.

Edited By: Edith Bolokor/Maharazu Ahmed
(NAN)

Continue Reading

General news

Emir of Gumel turbans former NDA commandant

Published

on

The Emir of Gumel in Jigawa, Alhaji Ahmed Sani, on Saturday turbaned Maj.-Gen. Mohammad Ibrahim (Rtd), a former Nigeria Defense Academy (NDA) Commandant, as the Garkuwa of Gumel.

Speaking at the occasion in Gumel, Sani said the appointment was based on Ibrahim’s meritorious and selfless service to the country.

He, therefore, urged the appointee to sustain his service delivery to humanity and become a good ambassador of Gumel and the state.

He advised Ibrahim to be always loyal to the emirate council and avoid acts capable of tarnishing its good image.

Nigeria News Agency reports that Ibrahim was born on October 1, 1961 in Gumel.

He was appointed the 27th Nigeria Defense Academy (NDA) commandant in July 2015 and served the academy in that capacity from Aug. 2015 to Oct. 2017.

He joined the NDA in 1981 and was commissioned as a second lieutenant in 1983.

Ibrahim is currently the Chairman, Mohammed Tasiu Foundation, which provides various educational support to primary schools pupils in Kano, Jigawa and Kaduna state.

Edited By: Felix Ajide
(NAN)

 

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

TRADOC Commandant solicits Nigerians support in insurgency fight

Published

on

Maj.-Gen. Abubakar Tarfa, Commandant Training and Doctrine Command (TRADOC) Minna, on Thursday solicited the support of Nigerians in insurgency fight.

He said that Nigerian should volunteer credible and reliable information to aid the ongoing operations of routing Boko Haram and other militant groups in the country.

Tarfa made the call at the Nigeria Army study period with the theme “Examining the Nigerian Army and its applications for the sustenance of a professional and responsive Nigerian Army in Minna.

He said reliable and credible information on movement of suspected insurgents in the society would pave way to crush the remnants of insurgents once and for all.

He explained that the objective of the study period was to provide an avenue for participants to cross-fertilise ideas through interactions on contemporary national and military related issues.

He said that this would enable the Nigeria Army chart the best course in the practice of the art of warfare through best global standard.

The Commandant said that the arduous process of meaningful transformation of the Nigerian Army which started four years ago has actually gone through structural and doctrinal modifications.

“The pragmatic and dynamic approach of the Chief of Army Staff is an indication of his innate desire to improve the Nigerian Army and translate it into a professionally and responsive force.

“Our thrust is to make the Training and Doctrine Command Nigerian Army a professional and responsive command in the discharge of its assigned duties.

“We will not relent in our efforts to free this country from all kind of security threats for peace, progress and political stability in the country,” the Commandant said.

Edited By: Ismail Abdulaziz

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

NSCDC new commandant promises strict supervision of JAMB, WAEC examinations in Lagos

Published

on

Mr Ayinla Adeyinka, the new commandant of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC)  in Lagos State, has said that the command will engage in strict supervision during JAMB and WAEC examinations.

 

 

Adeyinka told the Nigeria News Agency in Lagos that anyone planning to be involved in any malpractices during such examinations should have a change of mind.

 

He said that eight illegal-computer-based- test-centre operators had been arrested in the state while trying to extort some members of the public.

 

He said that the NSCDC was partnering with other sister security agents for the operations to be successful.

 

“We have assigned our men in mufti to different centres. We are going to be strict. There will be no room for malpractices.

“Anyone caught will face the law. Students are advised to keep away from incriminating materials and persons,’’ he warned.

 

The commandant also warned pipeline vandals and others who were into the destruction of other infrastructure in Lagos to relocate.

 

He said that they would be made to face the full wrath of the law when caught.

 

“Vandals who are fond of destroying infrastructure should leave Lagos now. My men and I had agreed to end the activities of vandals in the state.

 

“All my men within the divisions and areas in Lagos State have been briefed on the new order against vandals.

 

“We have what it takes to tackle vandals in Lagos. We have the men and equipment,’’ he said.

 

He solicited the assistance of the public for timely and useful information about vandals and their activities.

 

He said that this would be necessary for the good image of the NSCDC in Lagos.

 

“We are also out for kidnappers in the state. We are working with other security agencies to achieve our objectives,” he said.

 

Adeyinka also warned his men against involving in unprofessional conducts, stressing that any officer caught will be dealt with according to the law.

 

NAN reports that Adeyinka was redeployed from the Akwa Ibom Command to Lagos Command.

 

He had served as the commandant in Imo, Ondo State and Kwara before.

 

Edited By: Fela Fashoro/Peter Dada

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Insurgency: TRADOC Commandant says army focused, ready to deal with challenges

Published

on

Maj. Gen. Abubakar Tarfa, Commandant, Training and Doctrine Command (TRADOC), Minna, has said that the Nigerian Army was focused and ready to win the ongoing fight against insurgency, kidnapping and armed banditry in the country.

Tarfa said this on Saturday in Kontagora at the celebration of combined NACA, NATRAC and 311 Artillery Regiment of West African Social Activities (WASA).

He said that the military would continue to introduce stringent security measures to deal with any form of security threats in the country.

He explained that the involvement of NACA, NATRAC and 311 Regiment operations had enhanced the effectiveness of the Army, and commended other security agencies in Kontagora for the synergy over years.

Speaking earlier, Maj. Gen. U. S. Yakubu, Commander, Nigeria Army Corps Artillery (NACA), Kontagora, had said that the Army had always maintained and sustained its traditions in addition to promoting regimentation even in the face of harsh security realities.

”WASA, a special event, provides an avenue to appraise troops performances in the previous year. Clearly, we have been able to conduct all our scheduled activities of the year creditably well.

“Reports available from the field shows that troops taking part in various operations across the country are trying their utmost best despite various challenges facing them,” he said.

Edited By: Remi Koleoso and Ephraims Sheyin

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Commandant urges journalists to stop demoralising soldiers fighting insurgents

Published

on

Commandant urges journalists to stop demoralising soldiers fighting insurgents

 

Reports

Zaria (Kaduna State) Maj-Gen. Sani Muhammad, Commandant Nigeria Army Depot Zaria, on Wednesday urged journalists to avoid reports that would demoralise soldiers fighting various security challenges in Nigeria.

The Commandant made the call when members of Nigeria Union of Journalists, Zaria Unit, paid him a courtesy visit.

Muhammad noted that Nigeria was facing security challenges therefore, “we are pleading with journalists to temper justice with mercy in their reportage on security issues.

“We understand that you are not well trained on reporting security, that is why we sometimes see your reports as raw.

“We are pleading with you to consider national interest in your reportage.

“It is not good for you to report issues that would demoralise soldiers fighting different challenges in the security domain of our country.”

He appreciated members of the chapel for their reports  on activities of the Nigeria Army Depot, which is the premier institution training soldiers for the Army.

Earlier, the chairman of NUJ Zaria Unit, Bello Habib, said the visit was to cement the relationship between the Union and army in Zaria.

Edited By: Gregg Mmaduakolam/Maharazu Ahmed

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

New Akwa Ibom NSCDC commandant resumes, advises miscreants to relocate

Published

on

Mr Samuel Fadeyi, the new commandant of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), in Akwa Ibom, resumed office on Monday with a call to miscreants to relocate from the state or be arrested and prosecuted.

Fadeyi told newsmen in Uyo that his major concern was to rid the oil-rich state of criminal elements,

“I have vast experience as a prosecutor with a track record of jailing criminals,” Fadeyi, a lawyer, who had served in Ogun, Lagos, Rivers States and FCT Commands, said.

He promised to improve on the existing security situation in the state to ensure adequate protection of critical infrastructure.

“I don’t intend to compromise in any way; I want to sound a note of warning to criminals that a `jailer’ is in town.

“I have prosecuted and jailed many for running foul of the law, particularly as it affects our mandate of protecting critical infrastructure,” he said.

He solicited for useful information from members of the public regarding criminals and their activities.

“The doors are open for members of the public to lodge complaints; all information given would be treated with utmost confidentiality,” Fadeyi said.

Edited By: Kamal Tayo Oropo and Ephraims Sheyin

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

Read Also