the EU without an agreement on Wednesday, after they overwhelmingly rejected for a second time the Brexit deal she has negotiated with the EU.
May’s motion asks parliament’s elected main house, the Commons, to reject a no-deal Brexit but notes that “leaving without a deal
remains the default in UK and EU law unless this house and the EU ratify an agreement.”
If, as expected, the lawmakers agree the motion in a free vote, she has promised another vote on Thursday on extending the Brexit
process, just 15 days before Britain is scheduled to leave the EU on March 29.
After a crushing defeat in the second “meaningful vote’’ on her Brexit deal late Tuesday, May said she remained “passionate about
delivering the result of the [2016 Brexit] referendum.”
“But I equally passionately believe that the best way to do that is to leave in an orderly way with a deal and I still believe there is a
majority in the house for that course of action,” she said.
“And I am conscious of my duties as prime minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
“And also the potential damage to the union that leaving without a deal could do when one part of our country is without devolved
governance,” May added.
- Bayelsa Poll: NGO decries tense political atmosphere, sues for restraint
- Adamawa government sacks polytechnic staff
- Bishop commends Gov. El-Rufai for stopping demolition of 110-year-old Church
- Trump open to deal with democrats over Obama’s DACA programme
- Minister tasks Defence Attachés on new security challenges
- 25th Anniversary: Sweet Sensation will improve on ‘Feeding the Hungry’ programme, says MD
- NYSC appeals to Kano State Govt over dilapidated orientation camp road
- Police Commission deploys 45 monitors for Kogi, Bayelsa elections
- Russia, Somalia recommit to jointly combating terrorism – Foreign ministry
- Gombe assembly impeaches deputy speaker
- CONMESS: COOUTH doctors have no need to embark on strike — Anambra Govt
- Fire guts a section of Niger Government House
- Ogun : Road traffic crashes claim 301 lives in 10 months – FRSC
- Rivers: Youth Leader wants probe of 28 NDDC contracts abandoned in Andoni LGA
- Regular training remains critical to Nigerian Army’s constitutional role–Buratai
- Senate appeals to FG to ban importation of textile for 5 years
- Expert cautions women on choice of Brassiers
- Man, 34, jailed six months in Osun for theft, assault
- Reps call for policies to facilitate investments in gold mining
- NGO tasks communities on intercultural, interreligious harmony