A Kuje Chief Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday, sentenced a mechanic, Haruna Samuel, to six months in correction centre for stealing five cartons of beer, plastic chairs and cooking stove all worth N23,850.
The Magistrate, Vera Tukurah, sentenced Samuel, 19, and resident of Shadadi area in Kuje to six months imprisonment after he pleaded guilty for theft.
Although the convict begged the court for leniency, Tukurah who did not give the convict any option of fine, said the punishment was to serve as deterrent to others with similar intentions.
Earlier, the Prosecutor, Doris Okoroba, had told the court that one Patience Bega, the complainant, who resides at the same address with the convict, reported the matter at the Kuje Police Station on Nov. 4.
Okoroba, said the convict, broke the complainants refrigerator at Forest A relaxation spot’ and stole five cartons of beer, four plastic chairs and a cooking stove valued at N23,850.
The Prosecutor said that during investigation, it was discovered that the convict had sold all the items.
She said the offence contravened the provisions of sections 281 of the Penal Code.
Edited by Maureen Atuonwu
Watch Live News
- Dangote assures Nigerians, Africans of victory in fight against coronavirus
- Global oil market to witness 14.7 mb/d excess supply in Q2 – Barkindo
- COVID-19 worsening gender inequality — UN Chief
- 67 Osun returnees to remain in Lagos quarantine for 2 weeks — Commissioner
- Ojukwu Varsity teaching hospital trains staff on COVID-19 handling
- Lassa Fever: NCDC deploys health workers to hospitals in Edo, Ondo
- Easter: Gov. Wike relaxes restrictions on religious gatherings
- Coronavirus: Nigeria diplomatic missions abroad still discharge essential duties – FG
- COVID-19: Gov. Mohammed of Bauchi State tests negative
- Lagos launches COVID-19 website