Ikeja, March 13, 2019 A mechanic, Opeyemi Ojo, who allegedly defrauded his customer of N320, 000, on Wednesday appeared before an Ikeja Magistrates’ Court on a two-count charge.
Ojo, 43, who resides at No. 33, Olusoji Adebeshin St., Sango Ota in Ogun, however, pleaded not guilty to the counts of obtaining under false pretences and stealing.
The Prosecutor, Sgt. Mike Unah, told the court that Ojo committed the offences on Jan. 10, at No 7, Ikorodu Road, Maryland, Ikeja.
Unah alleged that Ojo fraudulently collected N320, 000 from the complainant, Mr Smith Oshodin, to repair the engine of his jeep with registration number APP 114 EY, but failed to effect the repair.
“Ojo diverted the money to his personal use after he promised the complainant that he would repair the vehicle within 10 days,” he said.
Unah said the offences contravened Sections 287 and 314 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015 (Revised).
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Section 287 stipulates seven years’ imprisonment for stealing, while Section 314 prescribes a 15-year jail term for obtaining under false pretences.
The Magistrate, Mr A. A. Fashola admitted the defendant to bail in the sum of N50, 000 with one surety in like sum.
Fashola ordered that the surety should be gainfully employed and show evidence of two years’ tax payment to the Lagos State Government.
The case was adjourned until April 17, for hearing.
- Ugandan Nakalembe wins opening round at Nigeria Ladies Open Golf Championship
- Imo NDLEA confirms arrest of alleged notorious drug dealer
- Multiple accident claims 13 lives on Lagos-Ibadan expressway
- APC NWC upholds suspension of Edo party’s chairman
- I will be most excited person if I win 2021 AFCON for Nigeria, Rohr says
- Don tasks FG on production of West Africa Dwarf goat
- Medical doctors urged to draw line between profession ethics and business
- Buhari meets Pearson Educational Group mgt. in London
- Chemical engineers call for policies to promote smart agricultural value chain
- Nigerians seek tougher actions against corruption
- Gov. Matawalle reassures Zamfara citizens of his commitment to security
- Kogi: FCT minister drums support for Bello
- Super Eagles ‘ll grow into AFCON qualifiers, says Akanni
- Obaseki has failed Edo people, says PDP
- Makinde appoints Ex-Rep. Ogunwuyi DG, Investments, PPP Agency
- ZMSG to resuscitate 5 abandoned ginneries—-Gov. Matawalle
- PDP rejects hate speech bill
- Businessman arraigned over alleged importation of 13 containers of substandard cables
- International GIS Day: Expert calls for GIS inculcation in STEM study
- FG, Harvestplus, task Nigerians on making nutrition daily business