Connect with us

General news

Med-View Airline explains incident involving flight at Lagos airport

Published

on

Medview Airline has confirmed that its flight VL2105 enroute Lagos from Abuja on Tuesday experienced cabin depressurisation while descending from 32,000ft altitude.

The airline’s Chief Operating Officer, Mr Michael Ajigbotoso said this in a statement in Lagos on Thursday.

He said the pilot then referred to the check list and applied the necessary procedure to mitigate the situation.

The oxygen masks dropped and were in good working condition for the passengers’ usage.

“The captain called for priority landing because he had been on number seven on queue,’’ he said.

Ajigbotoso said the pilot-in-command was obliged and he made a safe landing, adding that the passengers were calm since it did not pose a serious danger.

He said the incident was promptly reported to the necessary authorities and investigation was ongoing.

Ajigbotoso said the situation was professionally handled according to required operational standard procedures.

The Nigeria News Agency reports that the Med-View Airline Boeing 737-500 aircraft, with registration number 5N-BQM, was coming from Abuja when the incident occurred at about 3.10 p.m.

The aircraft had 27 passengers and six crew members on board and there was no fatality.

The Accident Investigation Bureau (AIB) has already begun investigation to unravel the remote and immediate cause of the incident.

General news

Don cautions youths against social media addiction

Published

on

Mr Babatunde Abdulkareem, Head of Department of Political Science, Kwara State College of Education, Oro, has cautioned youths in the country against addiction to social media as it can affect their academic performances.

Abdulkareem gave the warning in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Ilorin on Saturday.

He said teenagers’ early exposure to social media might cause distraction to their studies and academic pursuit.

According to him, teenagers spend most of their time on internet access facilities like phone, computer set accessing Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and WhatsApp instead of studying their books.

“Teenagers spend most of their time on phone without considering their books. They chat with friends and make video calls forgetting they need to read their books.

“They prefer to spend 24 hours on social media than sacrificing just 30 minutes for their books.

“That is why most teenagers’ academic performance has dropped drastically. They perform poorly because they don’t read again all in the name of chatting,” he said.

Abdulkareem also urged parents to checkmate their children by forcing them to read at the right time instead of pressing phones.

“Parents should stop over-pampering children. They should always ensure that children spend more time on their books instead of hanging out with friends on social media,” he advised.

The don also warned teenagers against abuse of social media, saying that it could cause distraction and lead to failure.


Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Adeleye Ajayi (NAN)

 

 

Continue Reading

Foreign

Interview: South Sudan envoy commends China’s COVID-19 medical supplies assistance

Published

on

By

A South Sudanese diplomat on Saturday commended China‘s assistance to his country’s anti-virus fight and urged China to boost its positive role in South Sudan.

Speaking to Xinhua, James Morgan, South Sudan ambassador to Ethiopia and the African Union, said China’s COVID-19 medical supplies to his country is part of a longstanding positive pattern in helping the world‘s youngest country.

South Sudan gained its independence in July 2011.

China has sent a lot of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to South Sudan, crucially needed in COVID-19 preventive measures.”

China has also pledged to continue supporting the continent especially in the area of COVID-19. This help is received with appreciation in South Sudan and across the African continent,” Morgan told Xinhua.

South Sudan has reported 1,317 confirmed cases of COVID-19, with six recoveries and 14 deaths, as of Saturday, according to a report by the Africa CDC.

Morgan further said Chinese support to South Sudan extends to peacekeeping operations and the development of infrastructure in the east African country.

“The Chinese peacekeeping force in South Sudan now has been converted into a developmental force which is helping with development of our infrastructure including road construction,” Morgan told Xinhua.

Chinese peacekeepers in South Sudan have been engaged in protecting refugee camps, repairing broken infrastructure and facilitating local peace initiatives.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Thai state drug buster hands 600 kg of seized marijuana to medical researchers

Published

on

By

Thailand’s drug buster and law enforcement agency has handed about 600 kilograms of seized illicit marijuana to a local university to further study its benefit for medical use.

The Office of the Narcotics Control Board (ONCB) on Saturday showcased the chunk of marijuana it seized from drug traffickers, and said that Rangsit University and the Department of Medical Sciences would be delighted to use the marijuana for medical use and research.

“Actually, there were 11 organizations making requests to the ONCB for marijuana in their Research and Development labs,” said ONCB secretary-general Niyom Termsrisuk, adding that the 11 organizations have been active in doing research on marijuana for medical use.

The Thai government in late 2018 passed legislation to allow marijuana for medicinal purposes and research only.

Cannabis remains a Narcotic Type 5, with steep penalties for its misuse.

However in late 2019, the number of illegal drug users rose by 130,000, with Niyom blaming easy access to the drug for the rising number of narcotics users.

“Despite cannabis being available to prescribed patients only, the policy has led to cannabis becoming a readily available source of recreational drugs, especially amongst teenagers,” Niyom said.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Pakistan’s confirmed COVID-19 cases top 90,000

Published

on

By

The number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Pakistan has risen to 93,983 with 1,935 deaths, according to the data updated by the country’s health ministry Saturday morning.

A total of 4,734 new cases and 97 deaths were reported in the last 24 hours, the statistics revealed.

Overall, 59,467 patients are under treatment in hospitals while 32,581 have recovered, which is 34.7 percent of the total confirmed cases.

The country’s eastern Punjab province is the most affected region with 35,308 cases followed by southern Sindh province with 34,889 cases.

The northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province reported 12,459 cases and 541 deaths. At least 5,776 cases were recorded in southwestern Balochistan province, while 4,323 cases were reported in the capital city Islamabad.

Punjab province recorded 659 deaths, followed by Sindh with 615 deaths, the statistics said, adding that Pakistan has conducted 660,508 tests officially so far.

The Pakistani government started to ease the lockdown from May 9, aiming at mitigating the influence on the labor class and the poor in the country.

Earlier on Thursday, Pakistan decided to take strict administrative actions for the implementation and enforcement of the standard operating procedure formed by the government to contain the spread of the coronavirus amid a surge in new COVID-19 cases across the country.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Trump directs United States troops reduction in Germany: media

Published

on

By

United States President Donald Trump directed the Pentagon to reduce United States military presence in Germany by September, United States media reported on Friday.

Citing United States government officials, The Wall Street Journal said in a Friday piece that the move would reduce 9,500 troops from the 34,500 troops that are permanently assigned in Germany.

The move also limits the size of United States troops deployed in Germany at any one time at the 25,000-troop level. According to the report, overall troop levels under current practice can rise to as high as 52,000 as units rotate in and out or take part in training exercises.

The report came days after German Chancellor Angela Merkel said due to the coronavirus pandemic, she will not attend the Group of Seven (G7) Summit that initially scheduled at the White House in late June.

A person familiar with the matter was quoted as saying that the troops’ reduction plan had been discussed within the administration for months and was not linked to Merkel’s decision on G7 Summit.

The reduction plan might further strain the relations between Washington and Berlin. The two allies have been at odds with each other on Iran nuclear issues, Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline project, and defense burden-sharing, among others.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Turks protest in Istanbul against police killing of unarmed United States black man

Published

on

By

Turkish people on Friday staged a protest in Istanbul against the killing of an unarmed black man in the United States last week.

The crowd gathered in front of the Trump Towers in the Sisli district of the European side of the largest Turkish city, chanting slogans against the killing of George Floyd by a police officer in Minneapolis, Minnesota, on May 25.

Protesters carried banners, which read: “Long live international solidarity,” “Black lives matter,” and “Justice for George Floyd.”

In a press release, they expressed solidarity with the people in the United States, demanding justice for the murder.

The killing of George Floyd is not an isolated incident. On the contrary, it is the result of institutional racism in the United States,” the release said.

Several protesters wrote Floyd’s last words “I can’t breathe” over their facial masks.

On Thursday, a group of people had held a demonstration in front of the United States Consulate in Istanbul.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

One new coronavirus death confirmed in Spain

Published

on

By

The Spanish Ministry of Health, Consumer Affairs and Social Welfare confirmed just one new death from the COVID-19 on Friday.

The Health Ministry confirmed a total of 27,134 deaths from COVID-19 so far. Totally 52 people lost their lives to the virus in the past seven days.

A slight fall was seen in the number of new COVID-19 cases detected by PCR tests (which discover if the coronavirus is active in the body). The Health Ministry reported 177 new infections, compared with 195 registered 24 hours earlier, which took the total number to 240,978.

Madrid and Catalonia reported a total of 113 new infections.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Ethiopia’s COVID-19 tally surpasses 1,805 as record 169 new cases confirmed

Published

on

By

Ethiopia’s confirmed COVID-19 cases reached 1,805 after 169 new cases were confirmed on Friday, the Ethiopian Ministry of Health said.

This has been the highest daily increase in Ethiopia, which reported its first confirmed case on March 13,

A total of 5,798 tests were conducted in the previous 24 hours and 169 tested positive, the ministry said in a statement.

One of the 169 new cases, 111 males and 58 females aged between 1 and 79, is an American citizen; the others are Ethiopian nationals, the statement said.

The ministry said 262 patients who were tested positive for COVID-19 have recovered, 12 of them in the past 24 hours.

A 35-year-old Ethiopian woman succumbed to the disease on Friday, bringing the total number of deaths related to COVID-19 in the east African country to 19.

In April, the Ethiopian House of People’s Representatives, the lower house of parliament, announced a five-month state of emergency to curb the spread of COVID-19 in Africa‘s second most populous nation, which has a population of about 107 million.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Tim Davie named BBC’s new director general

Published

on

By

Tim Davie, one of the most senior executives of the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC), has been appointed as its new director general, the BBC announced Friday.

Davie, 53, will replace Tony Hall as the BBC‘s next director general on Sept. 1. The Cambridge graduate has been promoted from chief executive of BBC Studios, responsible for monetizing shows including Top Gear around the world.

Davie, who joined the BBC in 2005 as director of the Marketing, Communications & Audiences division, said he was “honored” to take on the role, adding that the corporation needed to “accelerate change” to “stay relevant”.

“Looking forward, we will need to accelerate change so that we serve all our audiences in this fast-moving world,” he said.

“Much great work has been done, but we will continue to reform, make clear choices and stay relevant,” he added.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

Read Also