Mrs Emmem Akpan, a candidate of Mega Peoples Party (MPP) in the March 9 Lagos State House of Assembly election, has urged women to support female candidates during the polls.
She said that women were politically conscious as they turned out en-masse to vote during elections.
According to her, there will be more women in politics if women should give such support during the campaigns and also cast votes for female candidates,
”As a female candidate, I want to enlighten women that we can do better than being a group coordinator or women leader.
”When women are more in politics, there will be less intimidation and much progress in the country. For now what a woman is allowed to do is a coordinator and in most cases, women leader.
”Let women support women; it is not until you have millions before you support your fellow women,” she said.
Akpan said that if more women were involved in politics, there would be outstanding performances in areas they governed due to their motherly nature.
Akpan, who is contesting for a seat in the House of Assembly, said that there was also need for more women empowerment.
The Mega Peoples Party candidate said that women were the bedrock of a nation because when a woman is empowered, a nation would be empowered.
She said that as a female contestant who understands the needs of women, if given the opportunity, more women would be empowered by providing shops at the plaza at a very low cost.
Akpan said that loans would be at the reach of women to enable them rent shops at some plazas across the state that were not affordable for an average trader.
She said that the funds would partner some Non-Governmental Organisations (NGO) to improve her constituency, empower women and provide skill acquisition schemes for girls.
Akpan commended her party for giving her the platform to contest for the assembly seat in Lagos Mainland Constituency I.
Edited by Ifeyinwa Okonkwo/Tajudeen Atitebi
- World Diabetes Day: Association urges mothers to prepare natural foods for families
- Turkey qualify for Euro 2020 with draw against Iceland, France also secure spot
- 2 injured in Tejuosho Lagos fire — LASEMA
- CPAN says 2019 UTME marred by biometric, browser failure
- Efficient deployment of resources critical to universal health coverage – Don
- Why LASU is introducing 2-stream undergraduate programmes — VC
- Fellow officer defiled my daughter in barracks, policewoman tells court
- UHC: NIPSS wants Buhari to convene National Council of State meeting
- NGO calls for synergy on diabetes awareness
- Red Cross trains 30 surgeons on management of weapon wounded patients
- NPFL: Rangers pips Sunshine Stars 1-0 in Enugu
- World Diabetes Day: NGO provides free medicare to Abuja residents
- Agency signs MoU with bank to create access for loan for health maintenance
- NACCIMA president charges FG, states to patronise Innoson motors
- Pantami directs NCC to address issues of automatic voicemails on existing phonelines
- FG open to willing foreign investors in agribusiness – Perm Sec
- 4,000 Primary Health Centres have been revitalised in Nigeria – NPHCDA
- U.S calls for peaceful, free, transparent elections in Kogi, Bayelsa
- Buhari greets Wazirin Dutse, Bashir Dalhatu, at 70
- New Federal Polytechnic Daura to begin operation in 2019/2020 academic – NBTE boss