German Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Saturday that the coronavirus pandemic could be defeated only through global cooperation, pointing to her country’s participation in international bodies such as the World Health Organisation (WHO).
“We have the chance to defeat current and future pandemics only if we can find global answers to global threats,” Merkel said in her weekly video message.
She added that it was true especially given the world’s growing population.
The chancellor also emphasised that it is for this reason Germany participates in the programmes of global organisations such as the WHO, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the World Bank.
The message came after the United States this week officially notified the UN secretary general that it would be pulling out of the WHO, setting in motion the United States’ exit from the global body.
United States President Donald Trump in May said he would withdraw from the WHO, accusing the organisation of failing in the coronavirus pandemic and being a puppet of China.
Trump also announced a funding halt to the WHO in a move that has drawn concern, including from United States allies.
Merkel said that many countries were “very willing” to tackle the challenges brought by the coronavirus together, which gave her hope.
According to her, Germany is helping in many ways in the areas of health and research, with the goal of eventually achieving a global and equitable distribution of vaccines, drugs and diagnostics.
Edited By: Abiodun Oluleye/Emmanuel Yashim (NAN)
- Tanker drivers start strike Monday as talks with LASG end in deadlock
- NCDC confirms 437 new COVID-19 case, total of infection hits 46,577
- Apapa will open to traffic in October — LASG
- Halep to decide on United States Open after Prague event
- Gov. Fayemi mourns ex-Ekiti lawmaker, Fakiyesi
- Vettel says Ferrari messed up with nonsensical strategy
- Ekiti Govt paying lip service to healthcare delivery, say striking doctors
- Resumption: Academy wants COVID-19 protocol funds released directly to schools
- Willian confirms exit from Chelsea after 7 years
- Anglican Bishop urges govts to save SMEs from collapse