Tasie, who is the Director, Biotech Research Center of Enugu State University of Science and Technology (ESUT), gave the warning in Enugu on Wednesday.
According to her, methanol is unhealthy because it is toxic and cancerous.
”Stop using it because it’s not helping the masses. Use ethanol instead,” she said.
The Biotech professor said that each hand sanitizer must contain at least 75 per cent of ethanol to meet the World Health Organization (WHO) standard.
Tasie listed other ingredients for production of hand sanitizers to include isopropyl alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, glycerin and thickener.
She disclosed that the ESUT Biotech Center had commenced production of hand sanitizers to complement governments efforts in curbing the spread of coronavirus in the country.
The director said the sanitizers would be sold to the public at very subsidized rates.
Tasie however, appealed to government, corporate bodies and philanthropists to support the center in mass production of the sanitizers.
Edited By: Maureen Atuonwu
- Banditry: Group urges FG to review security response system
- Tourism-dependent countries in Europe look to mid-June ‘D-Day’
- We stemmed militancy in Delta through infrastructure, youth empowerment – Okowa
- Macron promises 8bn euros to aid virus-hit French car industry
- ECB says pandemic amplifies pre-existing financial risks
- Kenyan gov’t to clear 50km traffic jam at border into landlocked Uganda – Minister
- COVID-19: Bayelsa vows to continue, complete demolition of illegal structures in Yenogoa
- Buhari salutes Chief Edwin Clark at 93
- Chile’s LATAM airline files for bankruptcy after COVID-19 decimates sales
- Adewumi’s appointment as KWASU Chancellor, step in right direction – VC
- Cross River Government to commence enforcement of `wrong parking’ from June 1
- Tor Tiv lauds Hausa community over peace efforts in Benue
- Support industrialization policy of Gov. Sule; Aide urges Nasarawa people
- Olympic champ Kipruto in training targets Continental Tour success
- Qatar reports 1,742 new COVID-19 infections, 47,207 in total
- Expert urges govt to simplify port processes to reduce cost
- COVID-19: Bayelsa govt sends 25 samples daily to UPTH for testing – official
- Russia not to be hysterical about U.S. exit from Open Skies treaty: FM
- Iran expects greater performance from Swiss payment channel
- Malls to reopen early June as Indonesia seeks to pick up in economic activities