Two military officers were killed on Monday when a helicopter crashed in Machakos county, eastern Kenya, a Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) official said.
The United States-made MD-530F gunship, which went down at about 11.00 a.m. in Kanyonga village, was on a training flight, heading for Garissa in northeast Kenya from Nairobi, KDF spokesman, Zipporah Kioko, said.
The two, of the rank of Major, died on the spot,’ Kioko said in a statement.
The cause of the crash was not immediately established.
The chopper is among six United States-made light attack helicopter gunships that the Kenya Army Aviation acquired in January, authorities said.
They were part of an initial order of 12 light attack and reconnaissance helicopters meant to enhance the firepower of the military in the wake of sustained attacks by al-Shabab militants, they said.
Edited By: Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)
- Condolences: Ekiti Assembly describes Fakiyesi, former lawmaker as an epitome of humility, openness
- ExxonMobil Nigeria gets new chief executive
- Cleric tasks religious leaders on establishing youth skills centres
- Banditry: NASS lauds army operations in North West
- Cricket: 150 participants expected at beginners course for umpires, scorers
- Nasarawa bye-election: Voters use face masks, observe social distancing, laud process
- Enugu govt urges proper exclusive breastfeeding habit
- Lawyer advocates attitudinal change toward local products
- Youths protest incessant killings in southern Kaduna
- Hit and run driver kills man in Ibadan — OYRTMA boss