The Minister of Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire, says continuous awareness will be given to Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) as means of providing comprehensive healthcare for the vast rural population.
Ehanire said this on Thursday while inaugurating Colour Energy Health Machines assembled by Luminar International College/Centre for Health and Alternative Medicines, Awgu in Enugu State.
The occasion was also used for Appeal Fund Raising for the establishment of First Aid Alternative Medicine/Energy Health Science and Technology University and Specialist Teaching Hospital in Africa located in Awgu, Enugu State.
The minister, who was represented by Mr Christian Nnaji, Senior Pharmacist in the ministry, noted that it was estimated that about 80 per cent of the population living in rural areas used traditional medicine and CAM as their first source of healthcare.
He added that “the establishment of a full-fledged Department of Traditional, Complementary and Alternative Medicine (TCAM) in the ministry provides opportunity for rapid development and integration of TCAM into the healthcare delivery system which is seen as integrative medicine.
“Patients should be able to exercise their rights and have the choice to access their preferred healthcare services as seen in countries like China and India,’’ he said.
The minister said that government was willing to support researchers and stakeholders in the various fields of healthcare, including CAM in ensuring access to quality healthcare to all citizens.
He explained that “consequently, the ministry is planning a CAM Stakeholders Forum from Nov. 27 to Nov. 29.
“The event will feature Ministerial Press Briefing, symposium, lectures by experts in the field of CAM, exhibition by the various specialists of CAM practitioners and provision of free CAM services as means of increasing awareness.
“The overall goal of the forum is to harness the potential of this group of health practitioners toward improving delivery in the country.”
The President of the Centre/College, Prof. Joseph Akpa, lauded both the federal and Enugu State governments for creating CAM departments in their health ministries, adding that it would assist in involving holistic healthcare for all.
He said “however, I am appealing to the minister of health to vigorously pursue the Ministerial Executive Bill on Complementary and Alternative Medicine now with the National House of Assembly for immediate passage.”
He thanked the department of CAM in the Federal Ministry of Health for its programmes to promote CAM integration into the nation’s healthcare system, as well as setting up of the Ministerial Committee on CAM and for organising the CAM Week in the ministry.
Igwe John Ibe, the Traditional Ruler of Ekpulambo Mgbowo community, thanked the centre for the free medical care given to over 400 residents of his community and beyond.
Ibe also thanked the various levels of governments for the recognition given to the centre; but called for financial assistance to help it to grow.
Edited by Ekemini Ladejobi/Hadiza Mohammed-Aliyu (NAN)
- Foundation distributes 400 footwears to vulnerable children in Kaduna.
- Presidency dismisses insinuations over Sowore’s arrest, says Nigerians deserve peace
- Lagos Govt to launch App on annual cultural events
- Osinbajo to speak at UAE peace forum
- Adamawa APC rejects LG election results
- Restriction of Journalists covering Imo assembly activities, a dangerous precedent—Union
- Review: Sean Tizzle’s single ‘Contagious’, not enough for a hit record
- Katsina state govt. pays N208m WAEC fees for 21,589 candidates–Commissioner
- Opadokun, NADECO leader, seeks more libraries to boost reading culture
- Review: Teni Apata’s music, personality evolution draws mixed feelings
- Ministry of power seeks collaboration with agencies for improved power supply
- Kano State targets 3.8m children for meningitis vaccination
- Focus, Funding, keys to having to a great musical career- Toby
- Institute tasks FG on tourism, hospitality sector
- Boxing: NIDCOM boss, Dabiri-Erewa applauds Joshua’s victory over Ruiz Jr.
- Christmas: We are capable of meeting demands- Nasarawa Rice Millers
- Cleric urges Christians to live exemplary lives
- Nutrition Survey will lead to improved quality healthcare – Experts
- RIFAN urges FG to sustain border closure
- Fireboy DML debuts best album to close 2019
- Style Review: the return of pleated skirts
- National Public Safety Security System: Police Affairs Ministry sets up committee for smooth take-off
- Expert urges FG to sensitise Nigerians on $29.96bn foreign loan
- ‘Muna’ suggests new career angle for Adesua Etomi-Wellington
- BASA will strengthen cultural ties, deepen unity amongst personnel – CAS
- Nigeria on cause to raise Olympic champions in gymnastic – Coach Asuquo
- FG to introduce new visa regime to boost economy
- Expo 2020 in Dubai: What Benefits to Africa?
- Boxing: I’m happy Joshua won back his respect, says Isaac Ikhouria
- Boxing: Joshua takes revenge on Ruiz in Saudi Arabia rematch
- Buhari salutes Anthony Joshua on comeback victory
- DSS says Sowore’s rearrest video, mischief, meant for propagandist purpose
- NGO wants HIV test as component of routine ante natal care
- FG assures qualified teachers of good welfare, incentives
- Buhari mourns Evangelist Reinhard Bonnke
- Salome Abuh, PDP woman leader burnt to death, buried amid tears
- NAN correspondent gets accolades for sponsoring soccer tournament
- ECOWAS Presidents to meet on single currency regime Dec. 21
- FGGC Yola old students seek unity among children
- FEATURE: Gender-Based Violence: Do men suffer same?
- Nasarawa grassroots sports: Ezhiba defeat Alashe in competition organised by NAN Correspondent
- SWOFON commends women farmers’ successes in spite of challenges
- New Ondo IPAC chairman promises to build trust among members
- Education remains potent weapon to reduce unemployment -Buhari
- LG poll: ADSIEC Chairman expresses concern over low turnout of voters
- Experts outline ways to fund Nigeria’s infrastructure deficit through capital market
- Minister tasks Nigerians on regular exercise for healthy living
- Nollywood: Audition for ‘A Call to Service’, pro-NYSC scheme movie debuts in FCT
- Tallen gives N250, 000 cash prize to best UniJos graduating female students, to support 200 indigent ones with N4m
- Christmas: Enugu residents opt for de-stoned local rice as price of imported variant soars