Minster says State Governments should provide water for citizens
Abuja, Nov. 15, 2019 Mr Suleiman Adamu, the Minister of Water Resources, has called on State Governments to take up the responsibility of providing water for its people.
Adamu made this call at the Nigeria News Agency Forum in Abuja on Friday.
He said that many state governments were not investing in water and sanitation and had abandoned their responsibility for the Federal Government.
“It is not the role of the Federal Government to provide water. The role of the federal ministry of water resources is to provide bulk water and manage the water resources of this country.
“Whatever we are doing is just an intervention to complement the efforts of the states.
“The primary responsibility for water supply rest with the states that is why this ministry does not run Water Corporation.
“It is only the FCT, which is a territorial administration in Abuja that runs a water board. FCT is a territory, so it is like a state. So that needs to be made clear, so whatever we are doing is just an intervention to complement the efforts of the states.
“What I have realised is that in the past 10 or so years, many states unfortunately have abdicated their responsibility, they are not investing in water and sanitation.
“That is why you see communities in the remotest end writing to the ministry of water resources to provide water scheme in their locations.
“It is not our responsibility. But if they are special situations like the IDP camps, and so on, those are places that we can also intervene.’’
Adamu said that the Federal Government brought the concept of Partnership for Expanded Water Supply, Sanitation & Hygiene (PEWASH) as a way of making state governments invest in water and sanitation.
The minister stressed the fact that the state governors and local governments needed to invest in WASH and make it a priority.
“If not, we are not going anywhere, we cannot run this only from Abuja.’’
Edited by Grace Yussuf
- IPPIS: ASUU South East insists it will erode university autonomy
- Babcock varsity cardiac centre performs 300 open heart surgeries — VC
- NiMet predicts hazy, thundery weather conditions on Monday
- Air traffic engineers wants FG to invest more on cyber security
- Lagos Assembly will not repeal ex-govs’ pension law — Spokesperson
- PDP sweeps Adamawa LG election
- Empowering women means mobilising society for economic dev’t, says IHVN official
- Allow judiciary to operate freely, Archbishop Martins urges President Buhari
- Anglican communion bans brochure, `asoebi’ uniform during burials
- Nasarawa Govt. spends over N240m monthly to subsidise health services at specialist hospital- CMD
- ASUU in South East rejects IPPIS, says it will erode university autonomy
- Buhari pays tribute to Sarkin Malamai Gombe, Wabili
- Dabiri-Erewa hails Anthony Joshua’s boxing victory
- Bayelsa guber: Accept defeat, stop heating up polity, APC advises Gov. Dickson
- Thanksgiving: Cleric urges politicians to shun greed
- Foundation distributes 400 footwears to vulnerable children in Kaduna
- Jos consumers urge Plateau Govt. to check re-bagging of local rice
- Association urges SSCOE management to address viral hate speech by lecturer
- Akeredolu appoints three new aides
- Illegal operation: Lagos Govt. seals 24 pharmacies, patent medicine stores
- Association appeals to Enugu govt. for regular payment of pension, gratuity of teachers
- 2020 budget: Reps minority caucus promises to monitor implementation
- Cassava production: Scientists meet in Tanzania to review progress
- Don calls for service to Allah, as OAU MSSN inaugurates new executives
- FGGC Yola old girls pass vote of confidence on Saromi
- NAF partners US DOD to enhance medical, casualty evacuation capabilities
- 19-year-old Yahoo boy sets girlfriend ablaze over lover
- Foundation distributes 400 footwears to vulnerable children in Kaduna.
- Presidency dismisses insinuations over Sowore’s arrest, says Nigerians deserve peace
- Lagos Govt to launch App on annual cultural events
- Osinbajo to speak at UAE peace forum
- Adamawa APC rejects LG election results
- Restriction of Journalists covering Imo assembly activities, a dangerous precedent—Union
- Review: Sean Tizzle’s single ‘Contagious’, not enough for a hit record
- Katsina state govt. pays N208m WAEC fees for 21,589 candidates–Commissioner
- Opadokun, NADECO leader, seeks more libraries to boost reading culture
- Review: Teni Apata’s music, personality evolution draws mixed feelings
- Ministry of power seeks collaboration with agencies for improved power supply
- Kano State targets 3.8m children for meningitis vaccination
- Focus, Funding, keys to having to a great musical career- Toby
- Institute tasks FG on tourism, hospitality sector
- Boxing: NIDCOM boss, Dabiri-Erewa applauds Joshua’s victory over Ruiz Jr.
- Christmas: We are capable of meeting demands- Nasarawa Rice Millers
- Cleric urges Christians to live exemplary lives
- Nutrition Survey will lead to improved quality healthcare – Experts
- RIFAN urges FG to sustain border closure
- Fireboy DML debuts best album to close 2019
- Style Review: the return of pleated skirts
- National Public Safety Security System: Police Affairs Ministry sets up committee for smooth take-off
- Expert urges FG to sensitise Nigerians on $29.96bn foreign loan