However, farmers in Zamfara said that the supply was low and difficult to access.
In Kebbi, 886,000 tones of fertilizer were distributed by the state government to farmers in 225 wards across the 21 local government areas of the state.
Dododo said the government and stakeholders have had extensive discussions before agreeing on issues affecting all aspects of agriculture in the state.
“The stakeholders comprise, traditional rulers, politicians, members of farmers associations in the state,” he said.
Also, the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Agriculture, Alhaji Muhammad Lawal, told NAN that the state government had been selling fertilizer to farmers based on approved Federal Government price.
“We had procured more than enough fertilizer as even after the sells we still have huge quantity of it stocked in our stores across the 21 local government areas.
” We have been selling it at the cost of N5,500 per bag, but if you go to market you get it at N8,300 per bag.
” We don’t have shortage of fertilizer and we sell it for all our interested farmers irrespective of where and which political party you belong as we consider our farmers as one family members under same household.”
Lawal said the state government had been in touch with security agencies to prevent diversion of the commodity.
“We carried out awareness campaign on the danger of transporting the fertilizer to neighboring states and countries.
“We made our farmers to realise that the fertiliser was supplied to cushion the effect of the hardship they face in accessing inputs for their farming activities.”
A farmer in Birnin Kebbi, Alhaji Ibrahim Guluma, said he has four hectares of rice farm and was able to secure fertiliser from government.
“I initially tried to buy from the open market, but on hearing that it is available even in our wards I quickly went and bought what I required.”
Guluma recalled that in 2018, despite their readiness to buy the product at the rate of N7,500 in the open market, it was not available.
He said the changes in supply and sales of fertilizer was remarkable.
However, in Zamfara, farmers were not happy over supply and sale of fertilizer, saying it remained scarce and expensive.
The farmers expressed the hope that efforts to revive the Gusau fertilizer blending plant may ease supply pressure next season.
One of the farmers, Shehu Abdullahi, said it was difficult getting fertiliser on time and at affordable rate.
“If government want to support farmers, it must provide fertiliser to farmers in large quantity and at subsidise rate.”
Another farmer, Alhaji Maiharaji Altine-Sallah, said fertiliser was difficult to get in Zamfara.
According to him, high quality grade of fertilizer is being sold at between N9,000 and N8,500 while low quality fertiser goes for N7,000 and N5,000.
Managing Director, Gusau fertiliser blending company, Mr Mustafa Anka, said the company built in 1998 to produce all brand of Nitrogen Phosphorous and Potassium (NPK), has been resuscitated after its closure in 2006 due to lack of funds.
The state governor, Bello Matawalle, released N10 million to revive the company.
Anka said:“We told him that our major problem was funding and he gave us N10 million for test running.
“We are already partnering with Savannah Global Agro Resources Limited who bring raw materials for us at the cost of over N30 million.
“We have embarked on this production as test running, we are now producing 20 tonnes per hour.
“This company has the capacity to produce 35 tonnes per hour and if the company resumes full operations, in ten hours we will be able to have ten trucks of fertilizer.
“The company need N2 billion to operate to full capacity; you know the issue of fertilizer blending is capital intensive.
“We have already approached Bank of Agriculture, they directed us to go to Sterling Bank to obtain loan and the bank said they are ready to give us the loan of N2 billion on single digit interest.
“Therefore, with the permission of the state governor if everything works fine, we will resume full production very soon.
“Our basic challenge is the funding; you can see the machines are okay, in terms of workforce if we have enough funding we can get many workers since we will be paying them directly.’’
In Kano, the Chairman, All Farmers Association of Nigeria (AFAN) in Tsanyawa Local Government Area, Alhaji Abubakar Tsanyawa commended President Muhammad Buhari for providing fertiliser to farmers at subsidised rate.
According to him, the presidential intervention has made fertilizer readily available everywhere and throughout the year at affordable prices.
According to him, “before the coming of this subsidised fertiliser by the President, we used to by the product at the rate of N9000, which at the end of the harvest, the farmers cannot even recoup what they have spent, thus forcing many to run away from farming.
“We commend the president for such assistance, because the subsidised fertilizer is now N5,500; he is motivating us to return to farm and continue with our farming activities.
“We have not experienced cases of people selling the subsidised fertiliser at a higher rate, because it’s price is already written on all the bags. Therefore, farmers can easily shun and even report anyone found guilty of such”.
Tsanyawa, however, said that lack of access to markets is a major challenge, as farmers are left with huge stocks with no buyers.
“The Federal Government should buy off excess grains and other products from the farms, so as to encourage farmers produce more,” he said.
However, Head of Agric Department, Kiru Local government Area, Alhaji Sani Ishak said the demand for fertilizer in the area was higher than the quantity being supplied.
According to him, the area has large number of farmers, as such it is necessary for government to increase the supply of fertiliser to the area.
He explained that the subsidised fertiliser had really helped farmers not only in Kano, but all over the country to improve their outputs.
Edited by Maharazu Ahmed
- Cambodia releases measures to curb, reduce air pollution
- MFM FC targets third away victory against Wikki Tourists
- Police confirm death a man in hotel
- 9ice marks 40th birthday in style
- EFCC arrests 6 over alleged internet fraud in Ilorin
- NUJ declares one week mourning for assassinated journalist
- Police nab 4 in connection with fight between two rival groups in Niger
- Onu solicits private sector support for methanol production in Nigeria
- N-Power: Plateau Govt. cautions citizens against fraudsters, fake portals
- NSE: Trading defies December inflation figure, index up 0.90%
- Gov. Oyetola wants experts in private sector to support Nigeria’s economy
- Commander charges 378 promoted FRSC officers to live above board
- Toyin Abraham eulogies husband on his birthday
- Akeredolu reiterates importance of NDDC forensic audit
- Benue govt. says negotiations on N30,000 minimum wage still ongoing
- PDP pledges to defend Nigeria democracy, institutions
- ‘Sugar Rush’ movie returns to cinema
- Don calls for Sharia Courts in South West
- 2 to die by hanging for murder in Osun
- FRSC tasks newly promoted officers on dedication, hard work
- We sag our trousers to keep in vogue – Youths
- Uzodinma appoints SSG, AG, CPS, others
- FRSC decorates 36 newly promoted officers in Bayelsa
- Abia Polytechnic to punish extortionists, says governing Council chairman
- Buhari departs Abuja for London ahead of UK-Africa Investment Summit
- Expert says vertical farming system preserves arable lands
- Ex-FUTO VC calls for upgrade of facilities in nation’s universities
- Lagos mass transit train: NRC to resume services soon – official
- NAMA begins calibration of landing aids at Lagos Airport
- Finance Act will reposition economy — Expert
- Xi meets Myanmar State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi
- Ore-Ijebu Ode-Sagamu accident preventable if… – FRSC Zonal Commander
- Insurgency: Nigeria takes delivery of fighter helicopters, gets more in February – AVM Abubakar
- Prices of local poultry produce will soon crash in spite of continued border closure – PAN
- Atiku proposes committee to review recent elections
- More funds, intervention will boost tourism sector, says NTDC boss
- Team Nigeria win 1 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze medal at African Track Championship
- FG to boost national economy with methanol production
- Gowon Estate: Mosan/Okunola inaugurates new CDA officers, tasks them on devt
- Teenager docked for allegedly stealing conduit wire
- Expired products: NAFDAC advises Nigerians to be vigilant
- LASEMA rescues trapped victim from collapsed 3-storey building
- Enugu Judiciary honours former Chief Judge, late Justice Eze Ozobu
- Ekiti court dissolves 3-year-old marriage
- JOHESU branch lauds Obiano, CMD on improved welfare
- Sri Lanka lifts ban on drones
- LASCODA, LASPARK to plant 500,000 urban-friendly coconut seedlings
- Sen. Gyang lauds security agencies over aid workers’ release
- N166bn debt: Electricity Coy begins mass disconnection in 4 states
- Kwara Govt. expresses concern over condition of students hostels
- Regulating gas plants’ locations to reduce explosions
- Court affirms Uzo as Senator-elect Anambra South, dashes Uba’s hopes
- Plateau Nurses association urge Lalong to employ Nurse freed from Boko Haram captivity
- Police wades into crises rocking Gariki cattle market in Enugu
- Vaccination, best prevention against hepatitis–Virologist
- Farmer urges government to train, empower women in goat farming
- Niger Delta Ministry pledges to resume work on pending projects in Imo
- National Museum in Lagos recorded 39,061 visitors in 2019, says official
- Nigeria public debt stands at N26.2 trillion – DMO
- Global Fund: Health Minister Ehanire appointed Chair of coordinating mechanism
- FEATURE: Migration, governance and media reporting
- Ex-husband docked over alleged N250,000 pregnancy maintenance arrears
- Kwara Govt distributes computers to MDAs
- NAN gets new NUJ chairman
- Special polio immunisation: Enugu State Govt. targets 1 million children
- Alleged N3.6bn fraud: Judge’s absence stalls trial of ex NDDC boss
- We can perform better with supports from stakeholders, says ex-beauty queen
- Driver, 2 technicians arraigned over alleged stealing of goods worth N2.1m
- Plateau Govt. trains 128 health workers for effective delivery of mosquito treated nets
- Uzodinma is best thing to happen to Imo – Omegara
- Association says mining challenges can be overcome with political will
- FRSC condoles with Ore-Ijebu Ode-Sagamu accident victims
- Sultan says social-economic pressure causes farmer/herder crisis, not religion
- Blame INEC for Imo S/Court verdict – Esele
- Landlord docked for allegedly locking tenant out of apartment
- Brain Drain: Association calls for improved welfare for doctors
- Man in court over alleged car theft
- Bauchi Govt. to re-open abandoned museum to boost tourism
- Mechanic docked for allegedly stealing 2 goats
- Town Union to foot JAMB bill for 150 candidates of Anambra community
- Zulum appoints chairman, 12-member Borrno Healthcare Contributory Scheme
- Auto mechanic in court for allegedly defrauding customer of N130,000
- Adamawa to designate court for rape cases- Attorney General
- Teenager faces trial over alleged stealing, breach of peace
- Welder docked for allegedly stealing phone, N16,000 cash
- Kaduna govt. constitutes committee to collate data on Almajiris
- Buhari greets Chief Emeka Anyaoku at 87
- Scavenger docked over alleged theft of generator valued N25,000
- Man in court for allegedly beating wife to stupor
- U.S-based Imo indigenes react to Supreme Court verdict
- Plateau youths sack chairman over financial recklessness, abuse of office
- Commissioner seeks support for education in Kwara
- Akeredolu reconstitutes task force on farmers in govt’s forest reserves
- 4 men in court over alleged cultism
- Inflation rises to 11.98% in December–NBS
- Oyo farmers pray for early, stable rains
- Woman remanded for allegedly stabbing neighbour to death
- Immunisation: Nassarawa State Govt.engages traditional institution
- Man in court for allegedly stealing frozen chicken
- Wrestling Federation happy over Adekuoroye’s gold medal in Rome tournament
- FRSC decorates 34 newly-promoted officers in Anambra
- Akesan market: FG hands over building materials to Oyo govt.
- Fuel tanker burns in Onitsha again, no casualty – FRSC
- Exam malpractice: Kwara govt. to sanction delisted schools
- FG to site specialised agricultural market in Osun
- Obisesan assures aggrieved Oyo APC stakeholders of fairness
- Cash transfer : Beneficiaries in Oyo rural communities laud FG
- Comedy now one of Nigeria’s major exports – Shete
- Don urges lecturers to eschew acts inimical to university education
- FAAC: FG, states, LGs share N716.2bn for month of December
- VAT implementation takes effect Feb. 1– finance minister
- APGA leadership tussle: Justice has prevailed, says Njoku
- Gov. Abdulrazaq announces death of Oniyangi, prominent Kwara medical doctor
- Gov. Sule assures women of inclusive leadership
- Sagamu-Benin Expressway accident claims 9, three others injured
- Maritime key to economic development – Dangote
- Nigeria not ready for implementation of Eco Single Currency in 2020– Onyeama
- Gov. Wike approves payment of minimum wage to workers in Rivers
- Gunmen rob palm oil merchant of N1m in Umuahia
- NiMet predicts thunderstorms, haze condition for Friday
- Coker, ex-Queens’ College Principal’s death, big loss to education sector- Association
- NiMet to release 2020 rainfall prediction Jan. 21
- Police rescues 19 children from illegal orphanage in Kano
- FG set to replace fuel with Compressed Natural Gas to stop subsidy payment
- Sanwo-Olu reshuffles cabinet
- Hidden camera caught cleric defiling toddler – witness tells court
- FCT health workers resume emergency service
- British deputy high commissioner tasks Nigeria on quality investment
- EFCC to strengthen existing collaboration with NYSC
- Sylva optimistic PIB will be passed before May
- NGO identifies measures to curb drug abuse in Nigeria
- Gov’s wife urges parents, guardians to protect wards against child abuse
- FRSC promotes, decorates 35 officers
- Nasarawa Govt. to beef up security around unity schools
- Why I train health workers on skills acquisitions – MHWUN Chairman
- Stakeholders in Plateau meets over disasters management, mitigation
- Buhari attends UK-Africa investment summit in London
- Anambra Assembly confirms 18, steps down 3 LG transition committee chairmen
- FRSC Plateau Zonal Command charges newly-promoted 174 personnel on safety roads usage
- Nigerian Army to strengthen military cooperation with Egypt -Buratai
- Lagos Assembly passes ammended Property Land Use Charge Bill
- Security: We stand for community policing in Nasarawa -Gov. Sule
- Gov. AbdulRazaq harps on irregular migration
- NAFDAC to host international trade conference on food, drugs Feb.
- Synergise regional security outfits — Yoruba leaders
- Kogi explains water scarcity in Lokoja, environs
- Accreditation: NBTE visits Kwara for National Diploma courses
- Ensure sustainability of LASU , VC urges staffs, students
- Border Closure: Customs seizes N500m goods in Kwara
- Nyako: Court dismisses defence plea to compel EFCC to produce 3 witnesses for cross-examination
- Minister assures adequate protection for health workers
- NPFL: Rangers 2-1 win over Warri Wolves FC excites coach
- Finance Act: MAN DG seeks transitional guidelines for smooth conversion
- Yobe Council of Chiefs condemns attack on Emir of Potiskum
- Governor’s wife launches de-worming exercise in Enugu
- TCN confirms collapse of national grid
- NUJ National President tasks Gombe on security of journalists
- Finance Act will boost revenue generation – experts
- Lagos Assembly confirms Sanwo-Olu’s 11 nominees
- Rwanda on high alert as swarm of locusts invades regional countries
- ECOWAS tasks members on increased budget for IDPs, refugees’ education
- Yobe workers to receive minimum wage in February
- Lagos Govt inaugurates additional 10 rescue boats
- Edo APC governorship aspirants forge front against Obaseki
- Seed Council tasks companies, dealers, farmers on preservation
- NANS lauds Makinde over Olojede’s appointment as SA Student Affairs
- Onu says Nigeria to land in Space soon, harps on importance of Science, engineering
- Nigeria outlines 9 focal areas to guide its foreign policy in next 4 years
- I will not tolerate exam malpractice, Gov. AbdulRazaq warns
- NSCDC rescues 4 victims of human trafficking
- Man bags 1 month imprisonment for failing to present accused son in court
- Democracy: Nigeria has made substantial progress in 20 years – Lawan
- Nigeria, other west African countries kick against adoption of ‘Eco’ as regional currency
- Buhari nominates Kingsley Obiorah as CBN Deputy Governor
- Sports enthusiasts, associates bid ex-NOC chief fare well
- Lebanese minister denies ordering use of force against protesters, press
- NSE: Indices rebound by one per cent, amid interest in high capitalised stocks
- Three PDP chieftains cry foul over suspension from party in Nasarawa
- FRSC boss tasks promoted officers on service delivery
- Internet fraud: Man bags 1 year jail term, forfeits N29.2m to FG
- APC tasks Akande on reconciliation of aggrieved members
- Synergy with dev partners key to addressing housing deficit – Minister
- Ondo 2020: Akeredolu calls on APC support groups to work together
- Increase in teacher-pupil ratio `ll boost quality education- BMO
- Ogun moves to ensure uniformity in school curricula
- My husband is grossly irresponsible, divorce-seeking woman tells court
- Lagos Special Adviser gives scholarships to 200 Badagry natives
- Kano commitee on drugs intercepts 145 cartons of expired drugs
- 21 ships laden with petroleum products, food items arrive Lagos Ports — NPA
- Cotton: Ekiti Speaker assures farmers of support
- Lagos Agripreneurship programme aptitude test holds Jan. 20- Commissioner
- Woman, 52, remanded for allegedly stealing jewelleries in Osun
- Fire: NEMA warns Anambra traders against storage of combustible materials in shops
- Police to reward information on murdered journalist
- Buhari pays tributes to Bisi Akande at 81
- Cab operators in C’River get 90-day ultimatum to paint vehicles
- Ikorodu LG promises even distribution of projects
- Four docked for allegedly impersonating police
- 45m people across Southern Africa face hunger – UN
- Housewife drags ex-husband to court over N60,000 antenatal fees