Prof. Kingsley Moghalu, a presidential candidate for the Young Progressives Party (YPP) in the 2019 presidential election, has expressed concern about the nation’s reliance on oil as a major source of revenue generation.
He recommended technology and innovation as alternatives, citing the examples of developed countries.
He stated this in Abuja, at the 10th Nigeria Meritorious Service Award and Nigeria Political Achievers Award organised by the Federation of West African Freelance Journalist Association.
The event, which ended late Friday night, was organised to honour some Nigerians who distinguished themselves in politics and other fields.
Moghalu, a former Deputy Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), said that oil belonged to ”the distant age; the world today is of technology, innovation and science”.
According to him, the country needs government that will give youths a sense of purpose and employment to achieve their destinies.
“In the future, we don’t have to continue the political system the way it has always been,” Moghalu said.
He observed that political leaders should be judged by their achievements in office in terms of job creation and economic growth.
”To have the desired change in the country, every Nigerian most change the way they think and act,” he advised.
He also advised that the CBN ought to be truly independent to ensure enhanced performance.
According to him, when independent institutions such as the CBN gets directives that may serve transient political purpose, the long term effect may not be the best for the country.
Edited by Kayode Olaitan
- Okuomose, Otuadinma win at Best of the Best Taekwondo Championship
- Arsenal’s Tierney to undergo shoulder surgery, out for 3 months
- Club World Cup: Monterrey to face Liverpool after beating Al Sadd
- Runsewe commends NCAA over initial suspension of Turkish Airline
- FRSC Edo Sector gets new Commander
- Group tasks leaders, Nigerians on time consciousness
- Cries about negative impact of border closure sponsored-Sen. Adamu
- Bankers committee earmarks N20bn to maintain national theatre
- Institute calls on govts. to allow INEC conduct local govt. elections
- Kwara Deputy Gov urges OGS old students to give back to Alma Mater
- Presidential aide criticises work done on Calabar-Itu highway by contractor
- Armed Forces College graduates 176 junior officers
- Osinbajo tasks clergy on writing to provide guidance, direction
- Why CBN must transfer Anchor Borrowers Programme to Agric Ministry – Sen. Adamu
- La Liga: Leaders FC Barcelona stumble to draw at Real Sociedad
- Sun Publishing Limited wants Justice Minister’s intervention as EFCC threatens to seal headquarters
- APC remains strong, intact in Zamfara — Yari
- Bournemouth stun Chelsea 1-0 away to end losing streak
- Group advocates women empowerment to check gender-based violence
- Lawmaker condoles with Mimiko, says mother death, great loss to Ondo
- 2 NGOs collaborate to clean up Lagos for healthy environment
- Buhari tasks universities on IGR for sustainable education
- Arts, cultural exchange strengthen relationships between countries – Emirati Artist
- Ismael, Akuso win maiden Ikogosi-Ekiti 10-km race
- CITN confers fellowship on 329, calls for professionalism
- NANS commends Gov. Oyetola for tackling youth unemployment in Osun
- Gov. AbdulRazaq reiterates commitment to Kwara’s socio-economic growth
- Bayern Munich batter Werder Bremen as Borussia Dortmund dominate Mainz
- Akeredolu condoles with Mimiko over mother’s death
- Ogun lawmaker donates equipment to health facilities in constituency
- Inclusive education: Stakeholders urge training of more special teachers
- Ethiopian Airlines to launch 3 weekly flights to Houston Monday
- Shareholders seek more mergers, acquisitions in cement industry
- Golf: U.S. fight back to leave Presidents Cup in the balance
- Salah scores twice as Liverpool sink struggling Watford
- Yuletide: Enugu FRSC seeks collaboration with state traffic agency
- Eko Disco records highest remittance efficiency in Q2, says NERC
- Doctors map out measures to forestall litigations over management of patients’ ailments
- Osinbajo in Ikenne, celebrates Otunba Adesina at 80
- Group wants Nigerians to imbibe waste management culture, recycling
- FG pledges to enhance operations of River Basin Development Authorities in 2020
- Soldiers clean up Ojuelegba axis of Lagos to enhance civilian/military relations
- Enugu hospital turns to pilgrimage ground as residents catch glimpse of quadruplets
- Poor Salary: Kaduna joint tertiary institution unions shelve planned strike
- NIMASA chief urges regular exercise to stay healthy, enhance productivity
- Expert urges Nigerians to imbibe savings culture
- Navy employs weight control mechanism to promote fitness
- Exhibit more political will in tackling nation’s security challenges, Cleric advises FG
- Gospel singer charges youths to start small, be humble
- Yuletide: Curfew, ban of fireworks still effective in Borno -Police