Morocco announced 74 new confirmed COVID-19 cases on Saturday, bringing the total number of cases to 7,406.
One death case from the virus was reported in the last 24 hours, bringing the total death toll to 198, Director of Epidemiology at the Ministry of Health Mohamed El Youbi said in his daily briefing.
The number of recovered people has increased to 4,638 with 261 new recoveries, Youbi said.
Morocco reports 56 new COVID-19 cases, 7,922 in total
The number of the recoveries increased to 6,866 after 456 new ones were added, Mouad Mrabet, coordinator of the Moroccan Centre for Public Health said at a press briefing.
The country’s COVID-19 death toll now stood at 206, as no new fatality was recorded in the last 24 hours, the official said.
The official underlined the stability of the coronavirus mortality rate in Morocco which stands at 2.6 percent, saying that the recovery rate rose to 86.7 percent.
China has helped Morocco in its fight against the COVID-19 pandemic. On May 14, China Development Bank sent a batch of donation to the North African country, including respirators and medical protective masks.
Morocco announces 37 mln USD aid package for drought-hit farmers
According to a report of the ministry of agricultural, the payment was started in mid-April, in an effort to mitigate the impact of a rainfall deficit on farmers.
This year, Morocco has been facing unfavorable climatic conditions, characterized by high temperatures and irregular rainfalls, which decreased by 40 percent compared to the normal season.
66 new COVID-19 cases confirmed in Morocco, 7,780 in total
A total of 66 new COVID-19 cases were confirmed in Morocco on Saturday, bringing the total number of cases to 7,780.
The number of recovered people has increased to 5,401 with 130 new recoveries, Mouad Mrabet, coordinator of the Moroccan Centre for Public Health said at a press briefing.
He added that 204 deaths from COVID-19 have been reported so far, after two new death cases were reported in the past 24 hours.
EU grants Morocco 172 mln USD amid COVID-19 pandemic
According to a joint statement issued on Friday by the Moroccan Ministry of Finance and the EU delegation in Rabat, the payment made on May 26 is aimed to support the state budget.
This financial payment was made within the framework of support programs of the EU in particular to the areas of health, social protection, training and education, and to the competitiveness of businesses and green growth, the statement added.
Morocco reports 71 new COVID-19 cases, 7,714 in total
The number of the recoveries increased to 5,271 after 76 new ones were added, the ministry said in a statement posted at its website.
The death toll from the coronavirus stood at 202, with no new fatality confirmed.
The ministry underlined the stability of the coronavirus mortality rate in Morocco which stands at 2.6 percent, saying the recovery rate rose to 68.3 percent.
Morocco seizes over 1.5 tons of cannabis, arrests 4
Security forces in the southern Morocco city of Tantan seized 1.54 tons of cannabis and arrested four people for suspected involvement in a criminal network active in drug trafficking, RIM radio reported on Friday.
The banned substance was packed in 50 packages, buried in the ground, the report added.
During this operation which occurred on Thursday, authorities also seized a car and many logistical material used for drug smuggling.
Moroccan security services have seized over 23 tons of cannabis since May 1 in different operations.
Despite efforts to crack down on cannabis farming in the last decade, Morocco remains one of the world largest producers of the cannabis resin, according to the United Nation‘s Office on Drugs and Crime.
Morocco’s former PM Abderrahmane Youssoufi dies at 96
Moroccan former Prime Minister Abderrahmane El Youssoufi died on Friday in Casablanca at the age of 96 following a prolonged illness, official news agency MAP reported.
El Youssoufi on Sunday was admitted to intensive care unit at the Sheikh Khalifah hospital in Casablanca following a health problem, the agency added.
Born in Tangier on March 8, 1924, El Youssoufi served as Prime Minister of Morocco from February 1998 to October 2002.
As a human rights lawyer, he was exiled in France for 15 years before returning to Morocco in 1980.
In 1992, he became the new leader of the Socialist Union of Popular Forces, the major opposition political party in Morocco at that time.
He retired from politics in 2003.
Farmers harvest wheat in the countryside of Sale, Morocco
A farmer drives a harvester to harvest wheat in the countryside of Sale, Morocco, on May 28, 2020. (Photo by Chadi/Xinhua)
Morocco sees rising recovery rate of COVID-19 patients
The epidemic situation had some positive changes in the past days as 5,195 out of 7,643 total patients had recovered, said the ministry’s spokesperson in a daily briefing.
The regions with the largest number of COVID-19 cases are Casablanca, accounting for 33 percent of the total infections, and Marrakech, 17.4 percent.
- Tokyo stocks open higher tracking Wall Street’s overnight gains
- S. Korea posts biggest current account deficit in over 9 years in April
- Dollar changes hands in upper 108 yen zone in early trade in Tokyo
- Thousands gather in London to protest over death of George Floyd
- Croatian firefighters participate in exercise in coordination with military helicopter
- Five-day-old Bactrian camel baby seen at Budapest Zoo in Hungary
- South Africa eases lockdown level
- Interview: Insufficient COVID-19 testing for United States public contributes to high death toll, says expert
- Palestinians enjoy their time during sunset at seaside in Gaza City
- Palestinian farmers collect corns during harvest season in Gaza strip city of Khan Younis
- Charge against United States officer involved in Floyd’s death elevated to 2nd-degree murder, 3 others charged
- In pics: San Anton Gardens in Attard, Malta
- French gov’t launches contact-tracing smartphone app “StopCOVID”
- Demonstrators continue to protest over death of George Floyd in Minneapolis
- We’ll roll out face of Oyo Amotekun soon — Commandant
- 2,000 Lagosians benefit from ”Eko Cares” initiative — Official
- United States crude oil inventories decrease last week: EIA
- United States crude oil refinery inputs increase last week: EIA
- Ireland’s jobless rate in May slightly down to 26.1 pct
- Spotlight: Military escalation in Libya overshadows political dialogue: analysts
- Edinburgh Castle offers virtual tour of secret passages
- The Gambia seeks credible probe into citizen’s death in United States
- Spotlight: United States Fed likely to offer more guidance on rates next week amid COVID-19 fallout
- Lockdown: Abubakar Rimi Market loses over N15m revenue
- Slovenia’s registered jobless up by 2 pct in May
- Spanish parliament approves sixth extension of State of Alarm
- Police arrest suspected hemp peddler, recover 100 parcels in Jigawa
- Turkey’s aquarium boosts hygiene measures against COVID-19
- Libya’s UN-backed government forces take over Tripoli International Airport
- COVID-19: Oyo activates 3 community testing sites
- Cleanup starts at 57 sites in Ogoni land – Minister
- Tunisian PM says urgent solutions needed for economic recovery
- Italy lifts national and European travel ban as pandemic slows down
- Lagos govt. to reverse Land Use Charge — Commissioner
- Uber signals recovery in rides as lockdown restrictions ease
- Hajj: NAHCON charges contractors to speed up work
- Computer Village: Community seeks LASG intervention over looming crisis
- 1st LD: Charge against United States officer involved in Floyd’s death elevated to 2nd-degree murder, 3 others charged
- No damage or victims reported after 6.9-magnitude earthquake in Chile
- Los Angeles County extends curfew as George Floyd protests continue
- Earthquake jolts Indonesia’s Bali, no tsunami alert issued
- G7 finance ministers reaffirm commitment to debt relief for poorest countries amid pandemic
- Tunisia’s COVID-19 cases rise to 1,087 with 49 deaths
- BiH authorities greenlight distribution plan of IMF loan
- Belgian PM unveils measures in Phase-3 deconfinement starting June 8
- Delta: Victims of Ogbeogonogo market fire disaster get FG’s assistance
- Tanzanian gov’t to crack down on hiking of sugar price
- Yemen’s government reports 20 new COVID-19 cases, 419 in total
- Rivers may demolish markets for flouting COVID-19 directives, says Commissioner
- Palestine records 6 new COVID-19 cases, extends state of emergency
- Russian FM calls for early ceasefire in Libya at meeting with GNA officials
- Lockdown: Gov. Oyetola orders reopening of worship centre in Osun
- Oyo Govt inaugurates committee on management of dead persons
- NYC’s 2nd night under curfew generally peaceful
- Osun records new 2 cases of coronavirus
- Ebenezer Obey describes late Majek Fashek as humble, creative musician
- Immortalise my predecessor, Sen. Tinubu urges Lagos govt.
- INEC to voters: Don’t wear party-branded face masks to polling units
- COVID-19: Kwara Govt gives conditions for worship centres to reopen Friday
- Ondo governorship: PDP aspirant pledges to harness aviation, mechanised farming potentials
- Turkey does not expect second wave of COVID-19: health minister
- WHO especially worried about Central and South America: WHO chief
- Reps to amend Labour Act to strengthen NLC
- Palestine rejects tax revenue dues from Israel: official
- Trudeau under fire for silence on Trump’s response to protests in United States
- Artiste hosts maiden virtual drama festival to sensitise on virtues of African culture
- Interpol extends specialised platform to EFCC
- Buhari greets former Gov. Alao Akala at 70
- Sultan of Oman orders to establish special office
- France’s COVID-19 deaths top 29,000
- Number of working Italians declines in April amid coronavirus lockdown
- CP inaugurates community policing advisory committee in Uyo
- Rep, Oyo ALGON felicitate Alao-Akala at 70
- PMAN mourns Majek Fashek; pioneering of ‘Kpangolo’ Beat
- FEC approves N8.1 billion for completion of dam in Nasarawa State
- Pentagon chief breaks with Trump over protest response
- Hundreds join Swedish demonstration in solidarity with Black Lives Matter
- Lagos inaugurates community policing advisory committees
- Unemployment rate could hit 13.1 pct in Portugal this year: report
- Egypt FM holds phone talks with Russia, Germany FMs on regional issues
- Delta govt. urges contractors to speed up projects
- FEC okays N1.7bn for consultancy on 2nd runway at Abuja airport
- Lagos discharges 20 more coronavirus patients
- Jigawa govt. to enroll 1,322 repatriated Almajiris into schools
- FRSC decorates four officers with new ranks in Kaduna
- Jordan registers two news cases of COVID-19
- Lagos earmarks N103bn for infrastructure
- We’re committed to success of Makinde’s administration – Oyo State monarch
- German car industry maintains negative business assessment: ifo
- Plateau Govt. releases N700m for SDGs counterpart funding
- COVID-19: Fedpoly Ede making ventilators — Rector
- Oman reports 738 new COVID-19 cases, 13,538 in total
- Roundup: Tunisia to further lift COVID-19 restrictions
- Chicago reopens businesses amid jitters
- Delta will complete Trans-Warri road, bridge projects in 2021 -Commissioner
- NAICOM segments, extends full recapitalisation of insurance companies to 2021
- Association calls on Edo govt. to protect lives of women, children
- NIWA committed to waterways movement of bulk Cargo, passengers – Moghalu
- SON begins harmonising locally produced ventilators to meet global standards
- Finland to modernize northwestern railways to streamline Arctic-Asia goods transport
- Court reinstates 5 suspended Kano lawmakers
- Israel’s COVID-19 death toll rises to 291 as total cases reach 17,377
- Lagos to produce first forensic dentist in West Africa — Commissioner
- Germany loses ground in patent-power ranking: study
- 571 new COVID-19 cases reported in UAE, 36,359 in total
- Federal Road Projects: FEC approves refunds of N148bn to Rivers, Ondo, 3 others
- Portugal’s GDP to drop between 7.5-11.8 pct this year due to COVID-19 impacts
- Lockdown: FRSC tasks personnel on enforcement
- Oyo govt. to establish agency for PLWDs
- Edo Guber primaries: APC generates N135m from sale of forms
- Maggi launches novel website for African dishes, embellishes Yelo Pèppè drama
- UN chief calls for solidarity in response to COVID-19
- Israeli scientists directly observe light flow using unique quantum microscope
- Technologist tasks public officers on honesty
- Morocco reports 56 new COVID-19 cases, 7,922 in total
- COVID-19: Jigawa govt. extends work-from-home order by 2 weeks
- Yuguda pledges to prioritise investors’ protection
- Google removes app from India Play store that deletes Chinese apps
- Egypt announces new oil discovery in Western Desert
- United States factory orders extend decline in April
- 10 vessels expected at Delta ports, says NPA
- Deregistration: INEC asks court to dismiss 31 political parties’ application
- Nigeria’s proven gas reserve now 203.16tcf, says DPR
- Stakeholders urge FG to increase epidemic funding
- Clinic trial of hydroxychloroquine on COVID-19 patients to continue: WHO
- Red Cross, Facebook to launch digital campaign against COVID-19
- Cyprus proceeds with phase 3 of lockdown easing
- Libya officials hold talks abroad amid fears of more fighting
- Developed countries urged to lift sanctions, offer debt relief amid COVID-19
- Earthquake jolts Indonesia’s Bali, no tsunami alert issued
- New United States restrictions on 33 Chinese firms, institutions take effect June 5
- Justice, fair play to workers remain our priority – Oyo TUC
- United States to bar Chinese passenger airlines from June 16
- COVID-19: NCoS reopens custodial centres to admit offenders
- 10 vessels expected at Delta ports– NPA
- Stock market appreciates N13bn
- Number of COVID-19 cases rise to 316 in Mozambique
- UNECA projects COVID-19 could push 29 million Africans into extreme poverty
- Bank of Canada announces unchanged interest rate
- UNGA President urges investment in cycling infrastructure
- Covid-19: Rotary Club donates food items to 200 widows in Plateau
- Over 110 Hand sanitisers production Coys registered in Nigeria- NAFDAC
- Spain reports steep increase in coronavirus cases, one new death
- Ondo 2020: Okunomo, PDP governorship aspirant, picks party’s nomination form
- UK to go ahead with 2-week quarantine for new arrivals despite potential impact: home secretary
- Union urges dialogue between Agric Ministry, contractors over contract liability
- Ekiti: COVID-19 cases rise to 25
- UN, int’l humanitarian movement call for “people’s vaccine” against COVID-19
- 5.7-magnitude quake hits 166 km N of Labuan Lombok, Indonesia — USGS
- Dozens arrested in France as protests over death of black Frenchman turn violent
- Somalia confirms 57 new COVID-19 cases, tally hits 2,146
- Lagos Taskforce recovers stolen goats from abandoned vehicle
- Elections: INEC to implement measures to mitigate COVID-19 impact – Yakubu
- Iraq’s COVID-19 cases exceed 8,000 as daily increase hits new record
- Wuhan urged to boost care for cured COVID-19 patients
- PDP scores Gov Tambuwal high, calls for support against insecurity
- COVID-19: 3 year-old tests positive in Imo
- New Thai electric tuk-tuks provide social distancing facilities to reduce COVID-19 infection risks
- Israel sets up AI consortium to advance genome editing
- Ukraine reports 483 new cases, total over 24,800
- 1st LD Writethru: 5 killed, over 50 injured in factory explosion in India’s Gujarat
- Singapore reports 569 new COVID-19 cases
- Pakistan firmly opposes politicization of COVID-19 virus: president
- COVID-19 : Ondo assembly urges wealthy indigenes to assist PLWDs
- Turkey, Azerbaijan announce visa exemption for citizens
- Suspected ritualists kill grandmother, 78, remove vital organs in Ekiti
- Delta Govt. tasks contractor on speedy completion of Warri/Ode-Itsekiri road project
- AU chairperson speaks against racism, intolerance amid outrage over Floyd’s death
- Police in Bayelsa apprehend 12 suspected armed robbers, recover firearms
- German jobless rate climbs to 6.1 pct in May
- Alleged oil theft : DPR hands over 9 vessels to Navy, EFCC
- Global environment body grants Zambia 6 million USD for climate-resilient projects
- Provost urges 94 newly inducted medical doctors, dentists to be innovative
- 18 militiamen killed by army in combat in northeast DR Congo
- NNPC unveils COVID-19 contact tracing App
- Doctors issue 14-day ultimatum to Ondo State Government
- IOM partners with South Sudan to enhance COVID-19 border surveillance
- Indian elephant dies after eating fruit packed with firecracker, police investigating
- People need to rethink how to live, work in post-COVID-19 era: Singaporean forum
- Five killed in renewed South Sudan violence
- Ukraine to resume domestic flights from June 5
- Turkish FM says police killing of George Floyd in United States “unacceptable”
- Plateau anti-land grabbing, kidnapping bill passes second reading
- Face masks no longer mandatory, says Bulgarian premier
- Thai researchers conduct mRNA vaccine prototype testing on crab-eating monkeys
- Experts urge Nigerians to embrace natural foods, proper hydration
- 1 killed in fire outbreak in Tehran Refinery
- LASPEC tasks prospective retirees on early documentation
- Trump supporters propagate COVID-19 origin rumor about China on Twitter
- China urges Britain to stop meddling in Hong Kong affairs
- Man, 35, arraigned over alleged fraud
- Plateau Chief Judge frees 88 inmates
- France sticks with digital tax despite United States tariff threat
- ADB opens Mongolian togrog-linked Bond Market
- Lagos State Govt. feeds 11,965 primary school pupils in 12 months
- Planting season: Women group seeks timely support for farmers
- Tokyo’s daily COVID-19 cases drop after spike, concerns remain about nightspots
- UK COVID-19 deaths hit 39,728 as another 359 patients die
- Kenya confirms 123 new COVID-19 cases as tally hits 2,216
- Japan calls S. Korea’s latest move in trade spate “extremely regrettable”