A 26-year-old unemployed man Godwin Edward, who allegedly threatened to stab his mother with a knife, was on Thursday arraigned in a Yaba Chief magistrates’ court in Lagos.
Edward, a resident of Makoko Area of Yaba, is facing a count charge of threatening violence.
The Prosecutor, Sgt Modupe Olaluwoye, said the defendant committed the offence at 7: 00 p.m. on May 4, at No. 3, Faloyi Str., Ishola, Yaba.
Olaluwoye said that the defendant had showed up at his mother’s house, shouting at her to return the knife that she had seized from him.
She told the court that the complainant, Mrs Esther Edward, had refused to return the knife to him which resulted in a heated argument between them.
“My Lord, it took three men to hold him down and prevent him from attacking his mother.
“In the course of the argument, he claimed to be a cultist and said that he had used the knife to kill a lot of people.
“He further threatened to forcefully get the knife from her and told his mother that she would be the first person he would kill with the knife,” she said.
The offence contravened Section 56(a) of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015. (Revised)
News Agency of Nigeria reports that Section 56 stipulates a year jail term for the offence of threatening violence.
The Chief Magistrate, Mrs Oluwatoyin Oghere, admitted the defendant to a bail of N100, 000 with one surety in like sum.
Oghere said the surety must be gainfully employed and have their address verified by the court.
She then adjourned the case until July 10, for further hearing.
- S.Korea reports 39 more COVID-19 cases, 11,441 in total
- 17 more people tested positive for COVID-19 in Myanmar, 224 cases in total
- COVID-19 cases surpass 170,000 in India, death toll at 4971
- CDS’s death: General Court Martial sentences six aides in probe
- UNIFIL awards Chinese woman for exceptional role in peacekeeping in S. Lebanon
- U.S. Fed chief fears second wave of COVID-19 outbreak would undermine recovery
- 13 new COVID-19 cases reported in southern Libya
- 5.4-magnitude quake hits 1965 km SW of Lajes das Flores, Portugal — USGS
- COVID-19 cases surpass 170,000 in India, death toll at 4,971
- 5.5-magnitude quake hits 193 km S of Kokopo, Papua New Guinea — USGS
- World Bank approves 15 mln USD for Cambodia’s pre-service education system for health professionals
- World Bank says COVID-19 epidemic poses greatest threat to Cambodia’s development
- Cambodia reports 1 more imported COVID-19 case, 125 in total
- White House on lockdown as protests over Floyd’s death reach U.S. capital amid nationwide rage
- No new case in New Zealand for eight consecutive days
- Int’l passenger air travel resumes in Slovenia’s capital
- Finland approves employment of additional non-EU agri-workers
- Chile to grant facilities to LATAM Airlines after bankruptcy announcement
- Slovenian parliament passes third coronavirus stimulus package
- Brazil registers world’s fifth highest death toll from COVID-19