Ikeja, March 4, 2019(NNN) An Ikeja Magistrates’ Court in Lagos, on Monday sentenced a 20-year-old motor boy, Akeem Babatunde, to three months imprisonment for stealing electronics from a shop.
The Magistrate, Mrs B.O Osunsanmi, sentenced Babatunde after he pleaded guilty to a three-count charge of breach of peace, burglary and stealing.
Osunsanmi, however, gave the convict an option to pay N30, 000 fine.
“You are hereby sentenced to three months imprisonment with hard labour or pay an option of N30, 000 fine.
“I hope the sentence would serve as deterrent to others who might want to engage in similar act,’’ she said.
Earlier, the Police Prosecutor, Insp. Aondohemba Koti, told the court that the defendant committed the offences on Feb. 8 at Ejigbo, Lagos.
Koti said the defendant broke into a shop and stole electronics, saying the value of the stolen electronics and the owner were not known.
“The defendant stole two plasma televisions and a DVD player,” Koti said.
He said the defendant was arrested with the items in a “Ghana must go’’ bag.
“Babatunde was intercepted by some members of the Odua Peoples’ Congress.
“When he was questioned, he could not give satisfactory account of how he came about the items at that time of the night.
“He was handed over to a team of anti-robbery team, who carried him to the shop he stole the items from. All efforts to locate the shop owner proved unsuccessful,’’ Koti said.
The offences contravened Sections 168 (d), 287 and 309 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
Babatunde urged the court to temper justice with mercy saying “it was the handiwork of the devil’’. (NNN)
Edited by Edith Bolokor/Adeleye Ajayi
- Group honours Niger citizens killed in violence
- Don’t expose your children to cold during rainy season, Paediatrician warns parents
- ICPC investigating cases of COVID-19 fraud — official
- APC distributes palliatives to indigents, vulnerable in Ebonyi
- Court convicts 24 motorists in Imo for violating COVID-19 guidelines
- Thai-Malaysian border shuts again after reports of new COVID-19 cases
- Africa’s COVID-19 cases hit 123,000 – WHO
- COVID-19: Katsina builds 722-bed capacity isolation centres – Masari
- Old students donate N1m to Plateau COVID-19 fund
- COVID-19: NHIS donates PPE to Police
- Revised 2020 budget: Buhari seeks Senate approval for $5.513bn external loans
- Rwandan top genocide fugitive gets life sentence
- English Premier League to restart on June 17
- I-G orders deployment of 11 CPs to states, formations
- Abacha Loot III: Ministry of Justice opens technical bid for implementation monitoring
- Somalia confirms 97 new COVID-19 cases as tally hits 1,828
- One in two Germans regards electric scooters on public roads as “distraction”: survey
- We did not ask Adesina to step down for probe —- AfDB shareholders forum
- Mali COVID-19 cases reach 1,194 as 78 more recorded
- Kenya’s horticulture exports recovering