Mugabe’s family spokesman, Walter Chidhakwa, on Thursday announced that the burial place for former President Robert Mugabe, would be announced on Saturday.
Chidhakwa, made the announcement to mourners at the former leader’s home in Harare.
“After the National Sports Stadium, we will make further announcements on the way forward concerning the burial.’’
He spoke after President Emmerson Mnangagwa and the former First Lady Grace Mugabe held a meeting on the issue.
Mnangagwa said the family would have the final decision on the late leader’s burial place.
“Government has not issued any definitive statement on the funeral programme and burial of the former president.
“This was because it was yet to consult the family, which has the final say on the matter,’’ Mnangagwa said.
Mugabe’s body arrived in the country on Wednesday from Singapore and lay in state at his Harare home.
According to a government programme, a funeral service will be held for Mugabe on Thursday and Friday at Rufaro, a soccer stadium in Harare for the public to pay their last respects.
Another funeral service will be held in the giant National Sports Stadium in Harare on Saturday to afford Zimbabweans, foreign dignitaries and members of the diplomatic community, a chance to also pay their last respects.
At least, 11 sitting Heads of State and eight former presidents in the African region have confirmed their attendance at Saturday’s funeral service.
Mugabe had been the top leader of Zimbabwe for nearly four decades until he resigned in 2017.
It still remains unclear where Mugabe, who has been declared a national hero, will be buried amid unconfirmed reports that in his last days, Mugabe indicated that he wanted to be buried at his rural home in Zvimba.
Edited by Hadiza Mohammed/Abdulfatah Babatunde
- Okuomose, Otuadinma win at Best of the Best Taekwondo Championship
- Arsenal’s Tierney to undergo shoulder surgery, out for 3 months
- Club World Cup: Monterrey to face Liverpool after beating Al Sadd
- Runsewe commends NCAA over initial suspension of Turkish Airline
- FRSC Edo Sector gets new Commander
- Group tasks leaders, Nigerians on time consciousness
- Cries about negative impact of border closure sponsored-Sen. Adamu
- Bankers committee earmarks N20bn to maintain national theatre
- Institute calls on govts. to allow INEC conduct local govt. elections
- Kwara Deputy Gov urges OGS old students to give back to Alma Mater
- Presidential aide criticises work done on Calabar-Itu highway by contractor
- Armed Forces College graduates 176 junior officers
- Osinbajo tasks clergy on writing to provide guidance, direction
- Why CBN must transfer Anchor Borrowers Programme to Agric Ministry – Sen. Adamu
- La Liga: Leaders FC Barcelona stumble to draw at Real Sociedad
- Sun Publishing Limited wants Justice Minister’s intervention as EFCC threatens to seal headquarters
- APC remains strong, intact in Zamfara — Yari
- Bournemouth stun Chelsea 1-0 away to end losing streak
- Group advocates women empowerment to check gender-based violence
- Lawmaker condoles with Mimiko, says mother death, great loss to Ondo
- 2 NGOs collaborate to clean up Lagos for healthy environment
- Buhari tasks universities on IGR for sustainable education
- Arts, cultural exchange strengthen relationships between countries – Emirati Artist
- Ismael, Akuso win maiden Ikogosi-Ekiti 10-km race
- CITN confers fellowship on 329, calls for professionalism
- NANS commends Gov. Oyetola for tackling youth unemployment in Osun
- Gov. AbdulRazaq reiterates commitment to Kwara’s socio-economic growth
- Bayern Munich batter Werder Bremen as Borussia Dortmund dominate Mainz
- Akeredolu condoles with Mimiko over mother’s death
- Ogun lawmaker donates equipment to health facilities in constituency
- Inclusive education: Stakeholders urge training of more special teachers
- Ethiopian Airlines to launch 3 weekly flights to Houston Monday
- Shareholders seek more mergers, acquisitions in cement industry
- Golf: U.S. fight back to leave Presidents Cup in the balance
- Salah scores twice as Liverpool sink struggling Watford
- Yuletide: Enugu FRSC seeks collaboration with state traffic agency
- Eko Disco records highest remittance efficiency in Q2, says NERC
- Doctors map out measures to forestall litigations over management of patients’ ailments
- Osinbajo in Ikenne, celebrates Otunba Adesina at 80
- Group wants Nigerians to imbibe waste management culture, recycling
- FG pledges to enhance operations of River Basin Development Authorities in 2020
- Soldiers clean up Ojuelegba axis of Lagos to enhance civilian/military relations
- Enugu hospital turns to pilgrimage ground as residents catch glimpse of quadruplets
- Poor Salary: Kaduna joint tertiary institution unions shelve planned strike
- NIMASA chief urges regular exercise to stay healthy, enhance productivity
- Expert urges Nigerians to imbibe savings culture
- Navy employs weight control mechanism to promote fitness
- Exhibit more political will in tackling nation’s security challenges, Cleric advises FG
- Gospel singer charges youths to start small, be humble
- Yuletide: Curfew, ban of fireworks still effective in Borno -Police