Connect with us


Murdered Polish mayor’s deputy wins by landslide to replace him




Murdered Polish Mayor’s deputy wins by landslide to replace him


Warsaw, March 4, 2019 (Reuters/NNN) Aleksandra Dulkiewicz, the former deputy to Gdansk mayor Pawel Adamowicz, who was murdered won a landslide victory in elections to replace him in the Northern Polish City, preliminary results showed on Monday.

The murder of Adamowicz, a liberal critic of the anti-immigrant policies of Poland’s government, during a charity event in January provoked a wave of emotion in the country and a debate on hate speech.

As of 0600 GMT Dulkiewicz had won 82 per cent of the vote on a turnout of 48.6 per cent according to Gdansk’s website.

“This is a very good turnout in unusual and special elections which nobody expected,’’ Polish news agency PAP quoted Dulkiewicz as saying.

“I believe that in since January the people of Gdansk passed the exam, not only as human beings but also as citizens.”

Poland’s major political parties did not field candidates in the election, meaning Dulkiewicz had only two opponents far-right candidates Grzegorz Braun and Marek Skiba. (Reuters/NNN)


Edited by Abigael Joshua/Silas Nwoha


General news

UNIBEN governing council commiserates with family of murdered student



The Governing Council of the University of Benin (UNIBEN) have commiserated with the Omozuwa family and the entire university community over the rape and murder of one of its students, Miss Vera Omozuwa.
The acting Chairman of the council, Dr Daniel Mwanmut, in a statement issued on Monday by the institution’s Public Relations Officer, Dr Benedicta Ehanire, described the actions of the perpetrator(s) as heineous and inhumane.
Mwanmut urged the family, university authorities, members of staff and students of the institution to take solace in the fact that the young girl lived a focused life.
He also called on the Edo government and law enforcement agencies to leave no stone unturned to fish out those involved in the gruesome murder and bring them to book.
The News Agency of Nigeria recalls that Omozuwa, a 23-year-old student of the university, was raped by a gang of unknown men on May 27 and died few days later at the University of Benin Teaching Hospital (UBTH).

Edited By: Chioma Ugboma and (NAN)‘Wale Sadeeq

Continue Reading


U.S. House speaker says George Floyd “murdered” at hands of police




Amid national outrage over police misconduct related to racial inequity, U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Thursday George Floyd, the black man who died in police custody in U.S. midwest state of Minnesota, was “murdered” at the hands of the Minneapolis Police Department.

“We saw it on TV – him being murdered on TV,” Pelosi told reporters in the Capitol.

Floyd died on Monday evening shortly after a white police officer held him down with a knee on his neck though the black man in his 40s repeatedly pleaded, “I can’t breathe,” and “please, I can’t breathe.” The police officer’s way of handling the man is not approved by the local police department.

The four officers involved in the case were fired shortly after a video recording Floyd’s death went viral on social media on Tuesday, sparking a national outcry for justice.

Appearing on CNN later in the day, the speaker called Floyd’s death “an execution.”

“We saw it, so we can’t deny it or qualify it,” she told the news network. “So justice has to be done.”

House Democrats are eyeing a variety of responses, including the adoption of more stringent federal policing standards and a pressure campaign on the Justice Department to get more aggressive in tackling the issue of police misconduct targeting African Americans, according to a report of The Hill.

“There are all kinds of expressions of concern,” Pelosi said. “But not just expressions of concern, plans to take action so that this stops.”

In the wake of Floyd’s death, protests have continued after turning violent on Wednesday night with fires burning and businesses looted in Minneapolis and also spread to some other U.S. cities including Los Angeles and Memphis, local media reported.

The Justice Department said on Thursday it will make the case a “top priority.”


Continue Reading

General news

Family of murdered Kogi PDP woman, cries out for justice, compensation



Mr Simeon Abuh, husband of late Mrs Salome Abuh, a Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Woman Leader in Kogi, has called on the Federal Government to ensure justice and compensation for his family.

Abuh made the call at a news conference by the family on Thursday, in Abuja, to update the public on the matter.

He disclosed that since the incident took place on Nov. 18, 2019, several petitions had been submitted to different quarters, including to President Muhammadu Buhari.

The head of the Abuh family therefore, called on international and national human rights organisations to prevail on the government to expedite action in bringing the perpetrators of the dastardly act to book.

He explained that the six people that had been in Police custody in Lokoja, were some of the perpetrators that went on a robbery some days after the incident.

According to him, other named suspects were still walking freely, adding that some had been invited for questioning, while others were yet to be apprehended.

“We want perpetrators, including their sponsors, brought to book to serve as deterrent to others and avert future re-occurrence, not just in Kogi, but in Nigeria as a whole,” he said.

Abuh said he had worked for the Federal Government and retired after 35 years of meritorious service, urging the government to help rebuild the family’s home which was burnt down in the incident.

“With heart full of pains, grieve and heaviness, we as a family wish to passionately appeal to the UN, EU, USAID, AU, human rights organisations, and spirited individuals to come to our aid to enable us have our dream home back.

“Treat our homelessness as an emergency and rebuild out burnt down home,” he said, adding that the house was the reward of his 35 years service to Nigeria.

Abuh however, commended the efforts of women activists, who protested for days in Abuja, Lagos and many other places, to demand for justice for the slain politician.

The Nigeria News Agency , reports that late Salome was burnt alive by thugs in her home on Nov. 18, 2019, following the Kogi elections.

Six suspects were paraded by the Police in Lokoja few months ago, but nothing has been heard about the case since then.

Edited By: Fela Fashoro/Nyisom Fiyigon Dore

Continue Reading


How lodger who allegedly murdered lawyer in Lagos hotel was caught – IPO



A Police Inspector, John Babalola, on Wednesday narrated to an Ikeja Special Offences Court how a lodger, Joshua Usulor, who allegedly murdered a lawyer at the Citiheights Hotel, Opebi, Lagos, was caught by authorities.


Babalola testified  as a prosecution witness in the trial of Usulor,  a 21-year-old chef.

Usulor was accused of murdering Mrs Feyisayo Obot, an Abuja-based mother of two, who was also a lodger at the hotel.

The witness, who was  the Investigation Police Officer (IPO) of the case, was  led in evidence by lead state prosecutor, Mr Olakunle Ligali.

He told the court that, on Jan. 31, 2019, a case of murder was transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department (CID) Panti, from the Area F Police Division, Ikeja Lagos.

He said after he received the statements of witnesses and filled the Coroner Form for the performance of an autopsy, he and members of his team visited the crime scene.


“Photographs were taken at the scene and we demanded for the CCTV footage to know what took place on Jan. 26, 2019.

“The management of the hotel took us to a room where we watched the footage.

“I demanded the lodgers’ book and it was given to me. I discovered that the name the defendant gave was Adedeji which was different from his actual name and I asked the hotel staff, if this is how guests give random names.


“They said that they do not want to chase customers away with too many questions,” Babalola said.


The IPO said that he traced Usulor’s whereabouts from a mobile phone he left at a  hotel, and after a month, he was able to locate the defendant and his team lured him with a job offer.


“On Feb. 28, 2019, I was able to track him to Intercontinental Hotel;  immediately I saw him, I recognised him because of the distinct way that he walks and he was also holding a copy of his CV.


“I approached him, introduced myself and immediately he said, ‘officer wait, I know what I have done, I will tell you,’ and immediately we took him to state CID,” he said.


Babalola said that at the police station, Usulor was cautioned and he gave his statement where he confessed to the alleged crime.

“He said that on Jan. 23, he lodged at the hotel and on the next day, he met the deceased, they spoke and exchanged room numbers and that he told the deceased that he was a chef and he was looking for a job.


“He said on Jan. 26, he went to her room and she asked who was at the door and he told her he was a staff of the hotel, and when he got inside the room, he saw N27,000 on the table.


“The defendant said he took the money and asked her if she had more money and she said,  “No”, and that it was her employer that even paid her hotel bills, and he took a knife, stabbed her and slit her throat,” the IPO said.


The policeman said that according to Usulor, he took Obot’s two mobile phones; a Samsung and an iPhone and made an attempt to leave the hotel but was accosted by front desk staff.

Babalola testified that the defendant gave hotel staff the deceased’s mobile phones as collateral and promised to go to an ATM to withdraw some money to pay his outstanding bills but he never returned and on his way, he threw the murder weapon into a canal.


“After giving his statement he said that nobody sent him to commit the murder.


“The next day he changed his story and said that it was a guy that he did business with that sent him and he gave me the guy’s number. I tracked the number and brought him to the station.


“When I confronted the guy, he said he knew Usulor but denied the accusation, I made him confront the defendant and Usulor denied that the guy sent him to commit the crime.


“He said the guy is owing him N900,000 and  he wanted the police to track him on his behalf and that the guy did not send him to commit the murder  but he  wanted the guy to pay him his money. I immediately berated Usulor for his actions,” he said.


The prosecutor, at this point of Babalola’s testimony, tendered Usulor’s statement to the court as an exhibit.


Defence counsel, Mr Spurgeon Ataene, however raised an objection to tendering of the statement on the grounds that it was obtained under duress.

Justice Oluwatoyin Taiwo immediately ordered a trial-within-trial.

During the trial-within-trial, Babalola denied torturing Usulor while he gave his statement in custody.


“My lord, we do not have any torture equipment in our office, and it is against our rules and regulations,” he said.


While being cross-examined by Ataene, the IPO said that Usulor wrote three statements while at the state CID.


“The first statement admitted that no one sent him to kill the deceased, the second statement said a master sent him while in his third statement, he exonerated the master that allegedly sent him,” he said.


Babalola said that there was no video recording of Usulor’s statement being taken because the state government had at the time not made provisions for a video recorder and that no lawyer was also present.


He denied using electricity to torture the defendant which had allegedly made him unconscious and  hospitalised.

“The defendant one night cried out that Feyisayo Obot’s spirit was disturbing his life and that he could not sleep and was restless, and that was why he was taken to the hospital,” the IPO said.


Earlier during proceedings, two front desk staff of Citiheights Hotel – Ms Lateefat Adebayo, a receptionist, and Mr Olabanji Ibitunde, Operations Manager, while led in evidence by Ligali, narrated how they attended to Usulor when he lodged in the hotel.

Adebayo said that Usulor while providing his details during his check-in at 10a.m. on Jan. 23, 2019, gave a false name as “Adedeji Ayodele” had lodged in room 311.


“I asked him to fill a form and he described himself as a student and he paid cash. He paid N30,000 which was for one night.


“After checking him in, I did not see him again, he did not come downstairs.


“Around 12p.m. on Jan. 24, was when the money was due. I called him and he said he would check-out at 6pm in the evening and I said I will add half-day and he said it was okay,” he said.


On Jan. 26, 2019, I was not on duty and my colleague called me that a guest I had checked-in has killed a guest in room 501.


“I resumed for night duty on Jan. 27, I was arrested and taken to Panti where I gave a statement,” the receptionist said.


Ibitunde in his evidence, narrated how he  confronted Usulor over his outstanding N42,000 hotel bill when he was checking out.


“When a guest is having an outstanding bill, we take their luggage. I looked into his luggage and he had just a pair of jeans and a pair of shoes but he had three mobile phones; an Itel, Samsung and an iPhone.

“I collected the iPhone and the Samsung because they can cover the cost of the outstanding bills, and he promised to come back to pay. I called his number but it was busy.


“After he left, we noticed that a guest was murdered in a room and we checked his room and observed some bloodstains.

“We checked the CCTV and noticed that he went into Feyisayo’s room at 7.23a.m.and came out at 7.34a.m.; he was running out of the room.


“We went to Usulor’s room and we also noticed blood stains and in Fisayo’s room, she was on the floor with clothes covering her and her throat sliced,” he said.


Ibitunde identified Obot’s body through crime scene photographs shown to him and the CCTV footage of Usulor was tendered as evidence by the prosecution.


On cross-examination by Ataene, the operations manager said that three staff were on duty at the reception when the  alleged crime occurred.


Usulor a chef, who resides at No. 30, Fadiya St., Ketu, Lagos is facing a charge of murder, contrary to Section 223 of the Criminal Law of Lagos 2015.


He  allegedly killed Obot, an employee of an Abuja-based Non-Governmental Organisation, Save the Children.


The alleged murder occurred on Jan. 26, 2019.

Obot was also a lodger at the Citiheights Hotel and was in Lagos for a few days to write a project management examination.


The judge adjourned the  case until April 1 for continuation of the trial-within-trial.

Edited By: Emmanuel Nwoye/Ijeoma Popoola

Continue Reading


Slovaks demonstrate in memory of murdered investigative journalist



a journalist Jan Kuciak and his fiancee Martina Kusnirova were shot dead in their home.

Kuciak had written about the corrupt links between politics and business.

His last report, published only after his murder, sparked mass demonstrations that led to the resignation of the government of the time.

Investigations into millionaire Marian Kocner, who was accused of the murder, revealed a corruption network that had existed for decades.

Edited By: Halima Sheji/Emmanuel Yashim

Continue Reading


Man narrates how sister was allegedly murdered in Lagos hotel



I was at the police station when the management of Citiheights Hotel came to inform us that someone had killed a female lodger in one of their hotel rooms.

“I went to the scene, saw her lying dead in a pool of blood and noticed how blood was coming out from her throat. She was slaughtered.

“We took her to the mortuary at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH), and I went back around 11.30p.m. to the hotel with one Insp. Onah to watch the CCTV footage,” he said.

The policeman said the footage showed the defendant trying to avoid being spotted before entering the room of the deceased.

“Since the matter was beyond the scope of our investigation, it was transferred to the Force CID. I also went to Panti to give a statement,” Egwoaikhede said.

Usulor who resides at No. 30, Fadiya St., Ketu, Lagos, had plead not guilty to a count  charge of murder, contrary to Section 223 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.

Justice Oluwatoyin Taiwo had rejected the defendant’s application for bail.

Taiwo ordered that he should be remanded in a custodial  centre.

She adjourned the case until March 18 for continuation of trial.

Edited By: Abiodun Esan/Ijeoma Popoola





Continue Reading


Family of murdered Unimaid student urges FG to fish out son’s killers



Family of Mr Dalep Dachiya, a 200 Level student of University of Maiduguri, who was killed by members of the Boko Haram sect, has urged the Federal Government to fish out killers of their son.

The head of the family, Da David Dachiya, made the call at a news conference in Jos on Thursday, adding that such move would bring succour to the bereaved family and others involved.

News Agency Nigeria reports that junior Dachiya, a native of Jing in Pankshin Local Government Area of Plateau was abducted on Jan. 9, by insurgents on his way to Maiduguri to resume school.

NAN also reports that on Tuesday, the insurgents released a video showing where the junior Dachiya was gruesomely executed by the sect.

The senior Dachiya at the press conference called on government and security agents to intensify efforts in ending insurgency and other security challenges currently bedeviling the country.

“As a family we just want to thank God for everything; we believe that what happened, happened for good,” he said.

“But we want to strongly call on the government to fish out the killers of our son. He was just an innocent boy who was killed for no reason.

“We equally urge the government to intensify efforts in fighting insurgency and all forms of insecurity in the country,” he said.

Also speaking, Chief Pedro Dafur, the National President of Mupun Cultural Development Association (MUCDA), said the association was saddened by the mindless killing of the junior Dachiya by some blood thirsty individuals.

Dafur called on the government to ensure the safety of Plateau citizens residing in Maiduguri and other parts of Borno.

“From the utterances of the boy who killed our son in the video released, it is obvious that Plateau citizens residing in North eastern part of the country are not safe.

“So, we want to call on the government to work assiduously to ensure the safety of our citizens in that area.

“We still have a lot of our people in Maiduguri, a lot of our children are schooling there. So, government must act fast to address the issue,” he urged.

Edited By: Emmanuel Nwoye/Isaac Aregbesola

Continue Reading


Police to reward information on murdered journalist



The Adamawa State Commissioner of Police, Mr Audu Madaki, on Thursday promised a handsome reward for anyone with useful information that would lead to the arrest of killers of a journalist, Mr Maxwell Nashion, in Yola.

The Nigeria News Agency recalls that some unknown assailants had on Wednesday attacked Nashion, a staff of Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria (FRCN) F.M station, popularly known as Fombina FM Yola, leading to his death.

The Spokesman of the command, DSP Suleiman Yahaya, who announced the reward to journalists in Yola, said that the commissioner was unhappy over the incident and would ensure that the killers were apprehended.

Yahaya, who did not disclosed the amount set aside by the commissioner for anyone with relevant information, said that  something reasonable would be given as the reward.

He said that the police had commenced investigation and a 24-hour surveillance to effect the arrest of the killers.

The deceased, who was born in 1980, joined FRCN in 2011, is survived by a father, mother and siblings.

Edited by: Victor Asije/Muhammad Suleiman Tola

Continue Reading


Murdered son of former German president buried in Berlin



Fritz Von-Weizsaecker, the son of a former German president, was buried in Berlin on Monday after being murdered during a lecture at a hospital in November.

Von-Weizsaecker was a senior doctor, who was giving a lecture at the psychiatric wing of Berlin’s Schlosspark Hospital on Nov. 19 when he was stabbed by a man from the auditorium.

Her later died at the scene.

One other man, thought to be an off-duty police officer, who had been in the auditorium, was seriously injured in the attack after going to the victim’s aid.

Von-Weizsaecker had a long medical career and was an internal medicine specialist, according to the hospital website.

His lecture had been on fatty liver disease, the site said.

His father, Richard Von-Weizsaecker, was mayor of Berlin from 1981 to 1984, and president of Germany from 1984 to 1994. He died in 2015.

The funeral was widely attended and many paid their respects as the coffin was brought to the graveyard, where Von-Weizsaecker was buried alongside his father.

According to the public prosecutor, the man who stabbed Von-Weizsaecker was mentally ill.

He is currently being investigated for murder.

(Edited & Vetted By: Fatima Sule/Emmanuel Yashim)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor, nnnnews247

Read Also