Former world number one Andy Murray will play at next year’s Australian Open in what will be his first Grand Slam singles appearance since undergoing hip surgery, organisers confirmed on Tuesday.
The 32-year-old Murray, who has finished runner-up at Melbourne Park five times, was knocked out in the first round at last year’s Australian Open.
He had said before it started that it could be his last tournament.
The Scot underwent a career-saving hip resurfacing procedure at the end of January and made his competitive return to tennis in the doubles at Queen’s Club in June.
He won the title there with partner Feliciano Lopez.
“Confirmed: @andy_murray will return to compete at the #AusOpen in 2020,” Australian Open organisers said on Twitter, adding in a statement that the three-times major winner would be given a protected
ranking of number two.
Murray, who is currently ranked 289th in the world, played in the doubles and mixed doubles at Wimbledon, partnering Serena Williams in the latter.
He also made his singles return in Cincinnati in August.
Murray reached the quarter-finals of the China Open in Beijing last week, losing to Dominic Thiem, and won his opening match at the ongoing Shanghai Masters on Monday.(Reuters/NAN)
(Edited by Olawale Alabi)
- 1st LD Writethru: 6.0-magnitude quake hits 32 km WNW of Lampa, Peru — USGS
- Pakistan’s COVID-19 cases rise to 69,496 with 1,483 deaths
- Protests over George Floyd death spread to cities across U.S.
- Uganda records highest daily increase in COVID-19 cases
- Kunsthistorisches museum in Vienna reopens
- Nursing homes account for staggering share of US COVID-19 deaths
- India records 182,143 COVID-19 cases, 5,164 deaths
- Belgian tourism affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- New York officials urge stop of violence in George Floyd protests
- S. Korea reports 27 more COVID-19 cases, 11,468 in total
- New Yorkers continue to protest over George Floyd’s death
- U.S. Seattle announces curfew for weekend after protests
- S. Africa allows phased reopening of tourism amid COVID-19
- New Zealand reports no new COVID-19 case for 9 consecutive days
- S. Africa’s COVID-19 cases surpass 30,000
- Rwanda reports first COVID-19 death
- 1st LD Writethru: 5.3-magnitude quake hits 1210 km N of Acarau, Brazil — USGS
- Los Angeles declares curfew after four days of protests
- Belgium’s hospitality industry heavily affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- Portuguese president, PM pay tribute to firefighters amid COVID-19 pandemic